Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #151
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Just got mine in the mail yesterday, quick shipping! I am goint to play around with mounting them on my bark busters rather than on the bars... If that won't work than I will try a more conventional set up. Once done Will post some pics.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #152
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Working on it!

One issue I've had is that I'm not clear on what thread is needed for every different model. I haven't found any reliable info online, so I've been measuring every bike I can.

F-twins and new R12s seem to all be 10mmx1.5 pitch, if the sample I've seen is to be believed.

But many older models actually have the mirror bolt through the lever, so they are a real mixed bag of what thread/ length/ etc would be required.

Anyway, 10mm x 1.5 adapters are in the works, probably at least a month out though. Not sure how to approach others.

Couldn't you do a mirror stalk mount (the ball with the offset base and 10mm though-hole) and a handful of different cap screws?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #153
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
Couldn't you do a mirror stalk mount (the ball with the offset base and 10mm though-hole) and a handful of different cap screws?
That's what we sell currently.

The function is good, but I think it would be more elegant to have an offering that puts the ball directly into the existing mirror mount.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #154
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
That's what we sell currently.

The function is good, but I think it would be more elegant to have an offering that puts the ball directly into the existing mirror mount.
agreed, but the combinations or thread pitch and length needed is staggering.

You could take one of these: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

(ball with 1/4-20 female threads)

and come up with a set of studs. You may have to retap it to metric.

I thought there was a ball with a through hole with a countersunk well for a screw, or was that the delta faucet field-expedient fix?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #155
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
I thought there was a ball with a through hole with a countersunk well for a screw, or was that the delta faucet field-expedient fix?
There is, but it's 8mm, for bar clamp bolts.

We considered using that, but it requires stocking another part. So, what is in the works is a 10mm x 1.5 pitch adapter that threads onto the 10mm x 1.25 pitch ball we already stock. This will work for a variety of F800 and R1200 models, the rest will have to use the offset plate. We'll tune up the website on how it helps people select different options as well.

If anyone has a handle on a better plan, I'm all ears! It's been hard to track down reliable information on BMW thread pitch for different models, and our local dealer hasn't been much help.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #156
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Movement

I put 700 miles of testing these mirrors on the 800GS this weekend across a range of twisty backroads, dirt roads, jeep trails, dualsport hero sections, and superslab.

I'll do a detailed review at some point, but here are some quick notes:

First off, I love the concept. It's one of those parsimonious "duh, why didn't I think of that?" ideas. Kudos to Ned for seeing it to production.

On the 800GS, this mirror will almost never (at least under the setup variables that I've tried) be as "clear" (WRT vibration) as the stock BMW mirrors. When you feel the heft of a stock mirror, that should be pretty obvious. That having been said, with playing around to find a good setup, it is absolutely usable and leagues better than any other folding/micro mirror that I've ever tried.

I first tried the "U" bolt mounting base, just inboard of the stock mirror perch. I left the stocker on just for side-by-side comparisons. It was pretty good at low speeds, but got vibey around 40mph or so -- so much so that it really wasn't usable any more.

I was hoping to switch to a mount that threaded in to the stock mirror mount, but couldn't find a suitable combination of adaptors so I went with the 11mm offset ball and a 10x1.5 metric stud in the stock mount.

The results were pretty much identical to the U bolt. It didn't really seem to matter how much I cranked down on the arm, and switching between short and long arms didn't change much, either. There were certain gear/speed harmonics that were better or worse, but at upper backroad speeds, there was a buzz that shook the image. One thing that I noticed was that two fingers on the stalk would smooth it right out to stock mirror levels. A couple of stick on wheel weights may break the harmonic on this bike.

The other problem I was having was that the mirror would "fold" in toward me and down over moderate road bumps. A quick flick would return it to position, but it got tiresome doing it every few minutes or so. Cranking the arm down seemed to have zero effect.

The mirror was very consistent in the direction that it would fold, and I ended up coming up with a solution that got rid of the folding problem, and vastly improved the vibration -- to the point that it's almost as clear as the stock mirror at speeds up to 65 or so.

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

I don't know if you can make out what I've done, but if you imagine that the RAM mount has about 180degrees of freedom in one plane (laterally, if you're looking at the screw), and very little (maybe, 30 degrees or so) in the other plane (toward/away from the screw), I set the arm so that the arm itself limited the ability of the mirror to flop toward me.

This cured the flopping completely, and made probably a 90% improvement in the vibrations overall. The one downside that I can see is that in the event of a branch strike, there's not a lot of freedom for the mirror to self-rotate (flop) out of the way. It is however still completely easy to rotate the mirror into the "stowed" position behind the windscreen.

The other curiosity I noted came on the slab ride home from the dualsport -- up to about 65 or so, the mirror was perfectly usable but then got very, very vibey (like, paint-shaker). You could tell if a vehicle was right there, but better ID at any distance was absolutely impossible. Then, above 75mph, things smoothed out to literally stock mirror levels. My assessment is that the wind pressure was providing the "two fingers" worth of pressure that would smooth the mirror out at any speed, as I had noted previously. This may be why riders on enduro type bikes report such good results with the mirror -- because of fairing design, they reach stabilizing wind pressures at much lower speeds. Just a hunch, but something to think about and perhaps playing with different positions WRT the fairing may make things better/worse on the bigger bikes.

So, net result? The stockers will be off my bike indefinitely. My riding is mixed enough to find the slight tradeoff in vibes worth the foldable/crash resistant features. If I were going on a long pavement-only ride (don't see that ever happening) I would probably put the stockers back, and if I were a heavy road commuter/someone who really needed to know whether that car 3/4 of a mile back was a cruiser or not, I'd probably leave a stocker on there. For me, though, these fit the bill.

Thanks, Ned!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #157
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I put 700 miles of testing these mirrors on the 800GS this weekend across a range of twisty backroads, dirt roads, jeep trails, dualsport hero sections, and superslab.
Great review! I'd hate to see your "detailed" version...

One thought to add- I found that wheel balance is critical to vibration issues (on whatever kind of mirror, but I think any folding design is more susceptible). If you have a relatively narrow range where the picture isn't clear, it seems likely that is the speed where an out of balance wheel and the harmonic frequency of the mirror coincide.

Maybe try the tape/ plasticote/ whatever treatment and see if it improves the folding issue?

Anyway, glad you like them!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #158
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,828
Today 70 miles of off road today. Not once did I have to adjust cuz the mirror fell. Wife was with me so I wanted to be able to peek at her time to time, so I left it up.

My set up is stud mount, long arm on my 950SE. If you see the bars come up that is a jump on a water bar (20-40 mph). When I stop to check on wife in the traffic, you can see the mirror. Trust me it is in the same spot as I started.

c.vestal screwed with this post 05-30-2010 at 07:08 AM
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #159
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,303
Has anybody thought of using Loctite on the stud ball? I notice I can rotate my ball with the mirror. Only see it as an issue for the Left side mirror. Or could be if I hit a branch. I was thinking just some blue loctite would take care of that. Not enough threads to put a jam nut on.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #160
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
Has anybody thought of using Loctite on the stud ball? I notice I can rotate my ball with the mirror. Only see it as an issue for the Left side mirror. Or could be if I hit a branch. I was thinking just some blue loctite would take care of that. Not enough threads to put a jam nut on.
I do too. It works much better this way.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #161
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
i installed my ball by putting locktite blue stick on the thread and then clamping on the arm and using that to tighten the ball. ram does not provide a flat spot on the ball mount to grab & tighten it so i figured they want use to use the arm as a lever. it's solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #162
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Ram ball

Blue balls....in this context it is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i installed my ball by putting locktite blue stick on the thread and then clamping on the arm and using that to tighten the ball. ram does not provide a flat spot on the ball mount to grab & tighten it so i figured they want use to use the arm as a lever. it's solid.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #163
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Thanks!

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a set of these in person today from Ned. (one of the many advantages to living in C. Springs I guess) Great guy and has developed an incredible product. So far have just used them on the ride home and think they're great. I'm looking forward to getting out for some more time in (or out) of the saddle Saturday to see how they hold up! Thanks again Ned!!
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #164
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,507
Just ordered a pair for my 1150GS. I didn't see any replies or pics from anyone who has mounted them on an 1150. I just used the suggestions from the "Build Your Mirror" but am curious to know if anyone has them mounted on an 1150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Would be great if you folks could make something like this for us BMW types so we wouldn't need to use the RAM offset piece. These are dampeners but it would seem possible to make a 10mm 1.5 to 10mm 1.25 thread adapter.

If I find that I might need these do you have a source and part #? Thanks.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #165
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli
If I find that I might need these do you have a source and part #? Thanks.
I'm not aware of where to buy these, but I'll have them available later in the summer.