Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #511
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
Are the ram balls "normal", or different in any way from one I might buy elsewhere?
The reason I ask is, this weekend, my mirror wouldn't stay tight, so I kept trying to turn the arm lever (but, I couldn't turn it any further). I've had it on my bike for a few rides with no problems, but this was bugging me. So, I took the arm off the ball, and the ball was mushed, like it had melted (but, the weather was actually cool). I've never seen that happen to a ram ball, so I put it in my pocket, and was going to take a pic when I got home... then, the ball was round again!
Any idea what happened? I'm no He-man, so I don't think my superhuman strength warped the ball. Plus, I've got other ram mounts and never had this happen.
(This isn't a big deal- I'm just curious if you use a ram ball from a different company, or something like that.)
thats normal, the RAM mount 1" balls are made with a vulcanized rubber cover, if you really tighten them down they will distort and then return to normal after they relax.
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #512
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Sport Armory View Post
thats normal, the RAM mount 1" balls are made with a vulcanized rubber cover, if you really tighten them down they will distort and then return to normal after they relax.
I guess I've just never noticed before.
OK, thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #513
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,326
I got hit from behind by a car that was running about thirty mph needless to say the bike hit the asphalt rather hard mirror case recieved a bit of road rash but glass is still in one piece and tight. I love these mirrors thanks guys.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #514
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
I got hit from behind by a car that was running about thirty mph needless to say the bike hit the asphalt rather hard mirror case recieved a bit of road rash but glass is still in one piece and tight. I love these mirrors thanks guys.
Wow, hate to hear about the accident, but glad to hear the mirror held up!

Ya'll be careful out there, we don't need any more durability testing.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #515
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I just ordered one for my WRR. Hoping I ordered the correct ball mount. lol
Waiting is a bear..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #516
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
you wont be waiting long.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #517
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,381
On the 990 I busted the OEMs, the folding ones, now I got the Double Takes.
So far so good

It got me thinking, I've also broke quite a few mirrors on my bicycle as well. . .

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #518
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
On the 990 I busted the OEMs, the folding ones, now I got the Double Takes.
So far so good
Like! Cool looking ride, too, not often you see a King headset with downtube shifting...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #519
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,100
I crushed the Ram mount holding my Double Take today (not even sure how, since I had the mirror folded in towards the center of my bars)... mirror survived unscathed!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #520
Whee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Update

I have been dual sporting with them for a year & a half on my DRZ & deformed two sets of RAM balls so I ordered these from http://www.hotrodwelding.nl/home.php;

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1631

They came with electrical shrink tube to cover the ball but that got misshaped on the first ride so I used them without it for a few months. They work great but I get alot of vibration at certain RPMs & loads so I have since been experimenting.

I put a rubber washer under the ball where it mounts to the bars, another under the head of the bolt inside the ball & have been experimenting with rubber bumpers & stoppers on the mirror stalk ball. This seems to be the best idea so far (similar to the one second from the left, without the long stem);

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...3_pri_larg.jpg

After I figure the best size, I may also figure adding some to the hotrodwelding ball or the Ram arm.
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #521
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I had decent results with Plasti-Dip on the mirror balls. It's much grippier than even the RAM ball, so you don't have to tighten the arms as much. Less force on the RAM balls, less deformation. I still loosen the arms so they don't dig into the RAM balls when the bike isn't being ridden.

Tip on Plasti-Dip storage: Once the can is open, keep it in a large glass jar with a screw top. That will prevent the solvents from evaporating.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #522
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
I had decent results ith Plasti-Dip on the mirror balls. It's much grippier than even the RAM ball, so you don't have to tighten the arms as much. Less force on the RAM balls, less deformation. I still loosen the arms so they don't dig into the RAM balls when the bike isn't being ridden.w

Tip on Plasti-Dip storage: Once the can is open, keep it in a large glass jar with a screw top. That will prevent the solvents from evaporating.
Or get the spray on version, it's the shiznit for all kinds of stuff and no issues with drying out once opened either.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #523
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Like! Cool looking ride, too, not often you see a King headset with downtube shifting...
You ainta kidding super cooool!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #524
Whee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have used plastic dip & spray for other applications. Its a great product, but not very durable. Instead, I wrapped the mirror side ball with silicone tape that sticks to itself & it worked out well. I started at the top & held the end with my thumb & stretched it as far as it would go & wrapped it around overlapping a bit & finished at the bottom with a small circle where the tape doesn't cover. The clamp doesn't touch that section either.

I did a dual sport ride yesterday & it held up very well! I had put the original RAM balls back on & was impressed with much less vibration except at highway speeds (15/50 gearing on a DRZ at ~6500 RPM). Next I will put back on the hotrodwelding balls & wrap them with the tape & report back.
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #525
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 471
Anyone out there mounted these on 92 R100GS or similar bike?

The stock mirror stem is not threaded into the bars. It goes through with a nut on the end threads.

Needless to say, I really would like to find a way to mount these on a 20 year old airhead.

Ideas?

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote