User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Riding Opportunities Near Midland?

Hey all, my company is looking to move me to Midland. Just wondering if there is much in the way of trail riding within an hour of there? I'm not much into technical single track, mostly dirt/gravel roads, forest services roads, two track etc. Oh and mountain twisties, but I know I won't find any of that there. I know Big Bend is only 3-4 hrs away, but I really won't ever be free enough to make it out there except maybe twice a year.

My spirit guide is Jeremy Clarkson yelling "POWWERRR!!!"

Wherever it is I'm heading, I'll get there somehow, at some point.
DeepBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
There is nothing in the Midland/Odessa area, except for a few county roads that are straight & boring...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,398
Thousands of miles of caliche oilfield roads... nothing but misery...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
There is nothing in the Midland/Odessa area, except for a few county roads that are straight & boring...
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Thousands of miles of caliche oilfield roads... nothing but misery...

NFE
Kinda' what I figured...

Old 09-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
cavemanjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Mountains in New Mexico aren't ridiculously far away, not super close though either 4-4.5 hours.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Wink

You can always ride to Wink TX and back.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
The Guadalupe mountains around Queen NM are about 2.5 hrs from Midland...
Close enough for a day trip
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
Fort Davis is another good day trip as well.

Gonna take a lot of slabbing to get there and as previously reported there is practically nothing for dirt. Kind of ironic for that area of the state.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Thanks for the responses all.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
JohnnySailor
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

I'm new here, and just saw this while looking around for anything going on in West Texas.

It's true that there aren't a lot of riding opportunities around here for scenic views and twisty roads. Something I like to do is try to find nearby ghost towns, and little towns with tiny populations that I didn't know existed.

For example, it's a fun ride to check out places like Orla, Mentone, Frankel City, Midkiff, and all the other little towns that either stayed tiny, or are ghost towns now in various stages of falling apart, and read about them either on the internet or the historical markers that are usually around these towns.

If you're willing to ride a bit and make overnight trips you have a lot more opportunities. The Guadalupe National Park is about 3 hours away, and there's a lot of hiking that's really pretty. This time of year McKittrick Canyon is really pretty, and not very strenuous. You'd be able to make a day trip out of that. Some of the other trails (and the peak) are longer, and probably too exhausting to hike and then have to ride a motorcycle back home. Carlsbad Caverns is nearby as well, and everyone should go there at least once if they live in the area.

Fort Davis is really pretty as well. It's also around 3 hours away. It's worth an overnight stay or two here. The best riding is the loop of 166 and 118 that goes around Mt Livermoore and the McDonald's Observatory. You can also go through Balmorhea on the way here and stop at the Natural Springs (you can swim there during the hot months). There's also Marfa and Alpine which are nice little towns fun to ride around in.

My biggest recommendation here however, is to make sure when you ride it's on the weekend when there is a lot less oilfield traffic on the roads. I don't think people really understand the level of dangerous traffic we have out here. We're in such an economic boom that we have too many vehicles on the road than our infrastructure is able to deal with. People are driving oilfield work trucks and 18 wheelers that have no business doing so, and clocking in more hours than they should. Watch out for this traffic, and make sure to keep your eyes focused on the road condition. These same vehicles are tearing up the asphalt driving in and out of lease roads and going faster than they should.

There are a few riding opportunities nearby if you're willing to head out a bit in a few directions, and change the way you think of "adventure riding". We have a local motovlogger I enjoy too. Just search for Tim Kreitz on YouTube. He's currently doing an ongoing ghost town series that can show you a few different places to visit nearby, and he's always looking for more people to join him in group rides.

Hope this helps some. Try not to be too discouraged riding around the area. You just have to think outside of the box a bit, and be extra careful in riding safely.
JohnnySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySailor View Post
I'm new here, and just saw this while looking around for anything going on in West Texas.

It's true that there aren't a lot of riding opportunities around here for scenic views and twisty roads. Something I like to do is try to find nearby ghost towns, and little towns with tiny populations that I didn't know existed.

For example, it's a fun ride to check out places like Orla, Mentone, Frankel City, Midkiff, and all the other little towns that either stayed tiny, or are ghost towns now in various stages of falling apart, and read about them either on the internet or the historical markers that are usually around these towns.

If you're willing to ride a bit and make overnight trips you have a lot more opportunities. The Guadalupe National Park is about 3 hours away, and there's a lot of hiking that's really pretty. This time of year McKittrick Canyon is really pretty, and not very strenuous. You'd be able to make a day trip out of that. Some of the other trails (and the peak) are longer, and probably too exhausting to hike and then have to ride a motorcycle back home. Carlsbad Caverns is nearby as well, and everyone should go there at least once if they live in the area.

Fort Davis is really pretty as well. It's also around 3 hours away. It's worth an overnight stay or two here. The best riding is the loop of 166 and 118 that goes around Mt Livermoore and the McDonald's Observatory. You can also go through Balmorhea on the way here and stop at the Natural Springs (you can swim there during the hot months). There's also Marfa and Alpine which are nice little towns fun to ride around in.

My biggest recommendation here however, is to make sure when you ride it's on the weekend when there is a lot less oilfield traffic on the roads. I don't think people really understand the level of dangerous traffic we have out here. We're in such an economic boom that we have too many vehicles on the road than our infrastructure is able to deal with. People are driving oilfield work trucks and 18 wheelers that have no business doing so, and clocking in more hours than they should. Watch out for this traffic, and make sure to keep your eyes focused on the road condition. These same vehicles are tearing up the asphalt driving in and out of lease roads and going faster than they should.

There are a few riding opportunities nearby if you're willing to head out a bit in a few directions, and change the way you think of "adventure riding". We have a local motovlogger I enjoy too. Just search for Tim Kreitz on YouTube. He's currently doing an ongoing ghost town series that can show you a few different places to visit nearby, and he's always looking for more people to join him in group rides.

Hope this helps some. Try not to be too discouraged riding around the area. You just have to think outside of the box a bit, and be extra careful in riding safely.
Thanks for the great response/info. I was living in SE NM just north of Carlsbad (went and saw the caverns, pretty neat place). I know all about the oilfield traffic since I'm a safety guy for an oil company, its a wonder more accidents don't happen than what does. I love the ghost town idea a lot, especially since I sold my DS bike (KLR250) and bought a Triumph Bonneville (that I'm slowly scramblerizing) since the off road riding I can now do is pretty much limited to dirt/gravel roads and forest service roads. Would love to do a group ride on a weekend too.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
De Trommelslager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
There are some nice roads up in the panhandle. Palo Duro Canyon might be a good ride for a weekender. It is around 230 miles from Midland. Getting up that way is going to suck unless you like flat and straight.

There is also a nice highway that runs out of Tulia, TX (86) over through Turkey, TX and on to Estelline, Tx (HWY 287). It is flat coming out of Tulia, but the terrain changes just east of Silverton, TX and is a nice stretch of road. The Cap Rock Canyons area is another spot that might be worthy of some exploration. I haven't rode it on a bike, but have been through there a few times in a truck.

Anytime I have been up there, I've been on task with work. I'd like to take a couple of weekends at some point and ride up there to see more of the area. Get off the beaten path as they say!

FWIW There are a few projects in Midland that I am involved with currently. Cost of living out there has gotten stupid. All of the oil field work going on has drastically inflated the local economy and living costs.

Money doesn't make the world go around; but it darn sure makes it more fun!
De Trommelslager is offline   Reply With Quote