Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
TCX X-Miles WP vs Alpinestars New Land GTX boots?

Having a hard time deciding between these two boots... anyone own any of them? Which one would be more comfortable?

I've got slightly wide feet, but according to Revzilla reviews, they both run slightly wide, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I've been told that in general, Alpinestars makes shoes that are on the narrower side. Yet, I currently own an older pair of Alpinestars and the width is fine.

The Alpinestars have a goretex membrane, which is why they're more expensive, but I don't really have to have it as I rarely ride in the rain.

Any comments on these two that would sway you one way or another? Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
FYI. I got the Stylemartin Indians last week. Maybe not the ultimate in protection but they are really comfortable and fit great.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Oddometer: 127
X-Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Having a hard time deciding between these two boots... anyone own any of them? Which one would be more comfortable?
Hey Pete7874,

I can see why you're having trouble deciding. They're both very similar in their quality, fit (slightly wide), and features. It doesn't sound like the extra cost of Gore-Tex will benefit you much. For that reason, I'd recommend the X-Miles. Although they're not Gore-Tex, they'll get the job done if you encounter wet weather. My buddy used them to stay dry while board his windows during Hurricane Sandy. Sandy tested, Sandy approved. Oh, and you can add the money saved to your fuel and tire fund .

-Hi-Viz Brian

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,520
If you don't ride in the rain or cold weather, maybe it would be better to look at a non-waterproof boot. They'll have better breathability than essentially any waterproof boot and usually be less expensive, too.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I typically don't ride in the rain (or least don't intend to) and ride in temps as low as 40s (F), but not lower than that.

Based on this, are there some other boots that I should consider that you can recommend? BTW, not looking at full lenght boots and would like something with good breathability for warmer days. Comfort is also important. My current Alpinestars feel rather clunky, very thick around the foot which interferes with gear shifting a bit. But I guess if I want a boot that offers adequate protection, this is unavoidable.

In the end, the two boots I posted about are probably not diametrically different from my current Alpinestars, so I've decided not to purchase either. Hoping to find something else that will draw my attention...
Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Based on this, are there some other boots that I should consider that you can recommend?
I've been very happy with my TCX X-Cube boots. They feel like I'm wearing reinforced wrestling shoes. They're comfortable to walk in and provide solid ankle support. I wear them all day at work during the riding season. The non-air version that I have, do get warm inside after an hour or so of riding in 85F+ temperatures. I also have wide feet. I typically wear size 10.5US sneakers and fit well into my size 44EU X-Cubes. If you do the majority of your riding in mild to hot temperatures, I'd recommend the X-Cube Air boots.

-HVB

ZLAHiVizBrian screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 07:14 AM Reason: Removed links to X-Cubes
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, Brian!

How do these new X-Cube Air boots compare to the now discontinued Jupiter 2?

I initially ordered the Jupiter 2, but ended up returning them. The top front of the left boot was biting into my leg as I was bending my foot to shift gears. Whatever the material that TCX was using there seemed rather harsh/rough.

Then again, it's quite possible I will have similar issues with any other boots of that height due to the constant bending of the foot. My current Alpinestars Octane are slightly shorter, so I don't have that problem... Do you have anything similar in height to the Octane, but with better airflow and comfort?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
How do these new X-Cube Air boots compare to the now discontinued Jupiter 2?
The X-Cubes have more padding in their tongues. I wear mine on my KLR and ZX6R without any issues in either riding position. I find the extra padding allows me to tighten the laces more, forcing the tongues to form to my shines nicely.

Quote:
Do you have anything similar in height to the Octane, but with better airflow and comfort?
Most of the lower cut boots we have are either too narrow, too close to sneakers, very ridged, or not ventilated enough.

-HVB

ZLAHiVizBrian screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 07:16 AM Reason: Removed link to lower cut boots.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks very much!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Thanks very much!
You're welcome! Have a good weekend.

-HVB

Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #11
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I noticed the new Icon 1000 Truant CE on your site. How would the comfort on these compare to TCX X-Cube Air?

I ordered the X-Cube Air recently, but just like the Jupiter 2 - I find them too rigid/uncomfortable. They're also narrower than I'd like - I have wide feet.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
Hammerdown77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I have been very happy with my TCX X-Move WP. Mine are actually waterproof, although like most waterproof stuff (yes, even Gore-Tex), your feet get a little moist when it's warm/humid. I think they are taller than the earlier "X" variants from TCX. Paid $150 from Revzilla.

Edit: Following a 6 hour ride where it was raining 90% of the time, I can now say that my X-Move WP shoes are, in fact, NOT waterproof. My feet weren't just soaking wet, but they were definitely damp inside the front half of the shoe. Water must have been getting in around the toe or over the ball of the foot area. I was dry through the top of the instep, ankle, heel areas, so I don't think any water got in from the top opening of the shoe. Disappointing, but oh well.

Hammerdown77 screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 06:46 AM
Hammerdown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
I noticed the new Icon 1000 Truant CE on your site. How would the comfort on these compare to TCX X-Cube Air?

I ordered the X-Cube Air recently, but just like the Jupiter 2 - I find them too rigid/uncomfortable. They're also narrower than I'd like - I have wide feet.
The Icon 1000 Truant CE boots are wider than the X-Cube Air boots (from heel to toes). Size for size, the Truants didn't feel like they needed time to break-in. From a width standpoint, they felt good right off the bat. My X-Cubes were snug on the sides of my feet initially, but broke-in nicely after a few hours of wear. The Truants have much thicker soles. I had better feedback from the controls / pegs with the X-Cubes, but the Truants were more comfortable to walk in (more sole support). When I tried on the Truants, my heels were not as secure. The X-Cubes cupped my heels better. I weighted both pair of boots. The X-Cubes came in at 2lbs 13.6oz. The Truants came in at 3lbs 3.4oz.

Overall, I'd say the X-Cubes felt better on the bike, while the Truants were a better "all-around" option.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

-HVB

Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
Pete7874 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAHiVizBrian View Post
My X-Cubes were snug on the sides of my feet initially, but broke-in nicely after a few hours of wear.
Thanks, Brian. The problem I'm facing is that if I wear/ride them for a few hours and still don't like them, I won't be able to return them to you since they will no longer be "new". Or is this not the case?

I guess I could walk around the house in them for a day, but that's not exactly the same...
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Thanks, Brian. The problem I'm facing is that if I wear/ride them for a few hours and still don't like them, I won't be able to return them to you since they will no longer be "new". Or is this not the case?

I guess I could walk around the house in them for a day, but that's not exactly the same...
You are correct. We aren't able to take them back if they've been worn on the bike. However, like you already mentioned, wearing them around the house is perfectly fine. See how they break-in and if they're still too snug, give us a call and we'll get you setup with a free return label, just reference this post.

Another option is to try the Truants and X-Cubes side by side and send the pair that doesn't fit best back to us using the free return label.

-HVB