Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #226
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrippin
I have a few questions about:

SMH-A0302 Helmet Clamp Kit - Attachable Boom Microphone & Wired Microphone

MH-A0304 Helmet Clamp Kit - For Earbuds with Attachable Boom Microphone & Wired Microphone

Am I correct in that they both come with an interchangeable boom mic and flat mic? For example I can switch between whichever works best in my helmet. So the only difference is whether I'd want to use earbuds (A304) or the stock Sena spearkers (A302).
Exactly. I'd suggest using the fixed mic in a full-face helmet and the boom mic in a modular or 3/4 helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrippin
Which brings me to my next question. Is there any option available nor or maybe in the near future that would give me the choice of using the stock Sena speaker or ear buds in the same unit?

My problem is one bike I have is fairly noisy so I usually ride with ear plugs if going on a long trip. The others are much quieter and I usually don't wear earbuds. In general I can't tolerate earbuds more than about 4 hours until it feels like the worm from a tequila bottle is trying to bore its way into my brain!

So any options for an easy way to switch between the two? I typically wear the same helmet all the time and on a long trip switching out helmets isn't going to be an option and I'd really hate to have to switch out accessory units just to ditch the earbuds for a while.
There's no off-the-shelf way, at this time. We have put the concept forward to Sena, for a potential future product offering. I haven't dissected the clamp units to determine what the internal differences are - if any - that would bring the sound to an appropriate level for earbuds. There's a chance that I could fabricate something custom for you, to use both speakers and earbuds, and it wouldn't be a hack job.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #227
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozB
Did you ever fine a resolution to this?

Just got my double set today and right out of the box I am having the same trouble with my phone(s) on both units. Wired the sound is fine. Via bluetooth there is a buzzing sound during audio playback. Very prevalent if you leave the mp3 playing and turn the volume down on the headset. If you pause the player the buzzing goes away after about 2 seconds. Comes right back on if the phone makes any sounds, rings, alerts or music. Tried 4 phones (Android Evo 4g, Epic 4g and the WinMo Touch Pro2 and HTC Hd2) and had exactly the same results. Even tried pairing the phones as just audio players but got the same results. Phone was right next to the unit and all testing was done indoors. Hopefully someone has run in to this and found a cure without having to ship them back?
So, this is the third report of this that we've had. I am going to get with Sena today and hear their take on this. Will update, here, just as soon as I have something noteworthy to report. Film at eleven...
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #228
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Buzzing Sound Issue... Bit More Info...

Just a small update on “my” buzzing sound issue… For me, I am only getting that buzzing sound from the in-ear ear bud option. My speaker system, and my wife’s speaker system does not experience this sound (here is a sample of the sound):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7032980/EarBudSample.wma
To compare the two (in-ear vs. speaker) I held the speakers directly on my ear (out of helmet) and that buzzing is not there.

With that, I called Dave at RocketMoto who was very nice, but unfamiliar with this issue referred me to Sena. I contacted Sena and the tech support person gave me the same line as he gave others on these forums “the units are too far apart”… no I have the unit on my desk right next to the phone… “well once you start riding the sound will not be noticeable”. After explaining this was not a little buzz that would be easily drowned out by wind and road noise he agreed to do some form of RMA if I fill out and form and send it back. I am waiting to hear back from them.

Workaround for In-Ear Buzz:
I discovered a hokey workaround that helps suppress the issue (does NOT cure)… If you have an inline volume adjuster like this:

You can turn the volume on the inline down almost all the way down to nothing, then crank the Sena up to 100%, this will help cut down the buzzing sound (will not eliminate it).
As for the speaker, intercom/MP3 player system, my wife and I walked around the house with our helmets on doing chores last night testing out the system switching back and forth between Music and Intercom (looking like real morons I’m sure). Coming from G4 I look forward to giving a full review after our Road Trip at the End of the Month as well as getting the in ear option resolved .

-D
Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #229
evilmedic13
Sarcastic & Fantastic

Oddometer: 938
Silly idea, but I had a similar problem with a starcom unit years ago. It turned out to be my earbuds ohm (resistance) level wasn't high enough. If you have a regular set of headphones laying around, try that. That's what stardom told me to try and it worked without any noise. I had er-6i's with a 16ohm rating, the er-6's I switched to had a 32ohm rating, same as the earbuds sold by stardom.
Like I said, sounds silly but just might end your frustration.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #230
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I finally had time to pair the intercoms up. They paired up fine and we can talk. I got my wife's to talk to her phone (Driod based) just fine. I cannot get mine to pair up with my Zumo GPS or my Blackberry Bold. The Blackberry and GPS were previously bluetoothed together. I tried adding the Sena as another audio device and that did not work. I tried to pair the Blackberry directly to the Sena and it did not work either. It either would not see it at all, or it would see it but not be able to connect. Sometimes it would ask for a PIN and sometimes it tried PIN 1234 without asking. When it asked,I put in 0000 but it would not connect.

I thought it might be my Sena unit, so I tried to get the phone and GPS to mate up with my wife's Sena that worked with her phone and it still would not work.

Any ideas?

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #231
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget
I finally had time to pair the intercoms up. They paired up fine and we can talk. I got my wife's to talk to her phone (Driod based) just fine. I cannot get mine to pair up with my Zumo GPS or my Blackberry Bold. The Blackberry and GPS were previously bluetoothed together. I tried adding the Sena as another audio device and that did not work. I tried to pair the Blackberry directly to the Sena and it did not work either. It either would not see it at all, or it would see it but not be able to connect. Sometimes it would ask for a PIN and sometimes it tried PIN 1234 without asking. When it asked,I put in 0000 but it would not connect.

I thought it might be my Sena unit, so I tried to get the phone and GPS to mate up with my wife's Sena that worked with her phone and it still would not work.

Any ideas?
May be better if we can help you over the phone, but...

For starters - delete all pairings in the BlackBerry and the Zumo. Reset your Sena to factory default.

Then pair the Zumo to the Sena - from the screen of the Zumo. See that it functions correctly. Turn-by-turn directions, and if it's a Zumo 660/665 listen to an MP3.

If you're good there, put the Sena in pairing mode, then from the BlackBerry search for Bluetooth devices, find the Sena headset, pair it. Then enter the Sena pairing preferences in the BlackBerry and set the connection to 'trusted'.

Then pair the two Sena headsets together.

See how that goes, and if it doesn't fly, give us a call and we'll agonize over it with you.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #232
Diver
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 96
I experience the buzzing sound with earbuds (Etymotics ER-6i) and the A0304 clamp as well. Speakers are fine with the standard clamp. Will try other earbuds and see if that addresses the issue. Not really usable with the 304 clamp and earbuds at this time.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #233
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
I experience the buzzing sound with earbuds (Etymotics ER-6i) and the A0304 clamp as well. Speakers are fine with the standard clamp. Will try other earbuds and see if that addresses the issue. Not really usable with the 304 clamp and earbuds at this time.
I received a note from Sena tech support about this issue (slightly edited for clarity):

'The buzzing noise is due to signal degradation caused by separation of the Buetooth devices. By keeping Bluetooth devices closer together and on the same side of the body as the SMH10, this will help minimize this particular noise from occurring.

The noise is actually minute and is not affected by system volume. It is most obvious when system volume is at the lowest setting. As system volume level is increased, the music will mask the minute buzzing, and it will not be noticeable. The noise is minute enough that it is rarely noticed by a speaker clamp user. It is more noticeable in an earbud clamp due to the enclosed ear canal. However, the buzzing noise will never over-power the main audio output.

If buzzing noise is detected and it is bothersome to the user, a power cycle on the SMH10 will resolve the problem.'

What I need to know from anyone that is experiencing the issue - does the placement of the music device minimize or eliminate the buzzing?

I would also like to know which earbuds you're using.

Please PM or email with with details about your particular situation. Include your name and email address so I can track this and report back.

Thanks.

| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #234
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
May be better if we can help you over the phone, but...

For starters - delete all pairings in the BlackBerry and the Zumo. Reset your Sena to factory default.

Then pair the Zumo to the Sena - from the screen of the Zumo. See that it functions correctly. Turn-by-turn directions, and if it's a Zumo 660/665 listen to an MP3.

If you're good there, put the Sena in pairing mode, then from the BlackBerry search for Bluetooth devices, find the Sena headset, pair it. Then enter the Sena pairing preferences in the BlackBerry and set the connection to 'trusted'.

Then pair the two Sena headsets together.

See how that goes, and if it doesn't fly, give us a call and we'll agonize over it with you.
Ok, that works sortof. I can hear the GPS and I can make phone calls. But now my phone and GPS are not and can't be paired. So if I move the GPS to my truck, I can't have them paired. I was hoping I could have the phone go to the GPS, then the GPS go to the Sena. That way when I get a call, the info is displayed on the GPS and I can still have the phone and GPS paired for when I am not on the bike.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #235
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget
Ok, that works sortof. I can hear the GPS and I can make phone calls. But now my phone and GPS are not and can't be paired. So if I move the GPS to my truck, I can't have them paired. I was hoping I could have the phone go to the GPS, then the GPS go to the Sena. That way when I get a call, the info is displayed on the GPS and I can still have the phone and GPS paired for when I am not on the bike.
You can do exactly that. Call and we'll help you sort it out. The pairing has to be done is a specific order and using the correct Bluetooth profile.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #236
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
I received a note from Sena tech support about this issue (slightly edited for clarity):

'The buzzing noise is due to signal degradation caused by separation of the Buetooth devices. By keeping Bluetooth devices closer together and on the same side of the body as the SMH10, this will help minimize this particular noise from occurring.

The noise is actually minute and is not affected by system volume. It is most obvious when system volume is at the lowest setting. As system volume level is increased, the music will mask the minute buzzing, and it will not be noticeable. The noise is minute enough that it is rarely noticed by a speaker clamp user. It is more noticeable in an earbud clamp due to the enclosed ear canal. However, the buzzing noise will never over-power the main audio output.

If buzzing noise is detected and it is bothersome to the user, a power cycle on the SMH10 will resolve the problem.'

What I need to know from anyone that is experiencing the issue - does the placement of the music device minimize or eliminate the buzzing?

I would also like to know which earbuds you're using.

Please PM or email with with details about your particular situation. Include your name and email address so I can track this and report back.

Thanks.

Ok I got my replacement adapter (SMH10 A0303) directly from Sena and the problem is exactly the same with the new unit.
"The buzzing noise is due to signal degradation caused by separation of the Bluetooth devices. By keeping Bluetooth devices closer together and on the same side of the body as the SMH10, this will help minimize this particular noise from occurring."
This is so not true. First of all, all my testing has been done on a table, without even connecting the unit to my helmet. The units are sitting right next to each other and even on top of each other while I was on the phone with Sena support.
"The noise is actually minute and is not affected by system volume."
The first part is false! It is NOT minute. At least I find it very prevalent.
"It is most obvious when system volume is at the lowest setting. As system volume level is increased, the music will mask the minute buzzing."
It is true that the higher the system volume the louder the music and the buzzing sound does NOT increase with the system volume. However you are putting one sound on top of the other sound. In my case, unless I was def, there is no way I could turn the system volume up to a level high enough to drowned out the buzzing without blowing out my ears. Note my workaround in earlier post using an inline volume adjust will allow you to turn down the music and boost the system volume to a better mask the buzzing, but still I you can hear it especially when stopped, and this is just a work around.
"If buzzing noise is detected and it is bothersome to the user, a power cycle on the SMH10 will resolve the problem."
It just comes back so this is not a true work around.

I have seen suggestions for changing ear buds, and possible radio interference. Thanks for these suggestions and while I am not an engineer, the issue is only happening with the adapter (in my case the SMH10 A0303). I currently you the same phone for pushing stereo music to my Plantronics Backbeat in ear headphones and do not hear any of that buzzing noise at all. As for ear buds, I have tried 4 different ear buds: 2 Shure (from the E and SE family I think) 1 set that came with my Samsung Epic 4G and 1 old IPOD set. All have the same results. Also remember you can plug in speakers to the back of the SMH10 A0303 (instead of ear buds) and hear the same results.

I am surprised to hear Dave say they have sold 60-80+ of these units... and there is only a couple of us complaining?

I am not posting this here to bash or even to complain about RocketMoto, Sena or even the Base units themselves. The units are solid enough, RocketMoto is a great retailer, and Sena was fast at getting me a replacement adapter. I am posting this so that hopefully we can come up with a solution, or at least more feedback.

I am going on a road trip this weekend with my wife and will give the units a proper shake down... but I think I will just be using the stereo speaker headset and forget the in-ear option until I hear the issue has been acknowledged and resolved.

-D
Old 11-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #237
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 668
Another happy camper

Received my Sena dual kit, and two sets of earbud mounts from the USA on Thursday. All there (inculing AUS power plug adapters) and well packaged. So far I have had to use the 3M self adhesive mounts on 2 of the 3 helmets I have fitted, as the linings on my BMW System 5 flip and my AGV race helmet, are firmly fixed to the shell. I am a bit hesitant to stuff a 1" chisel in there to make a space for the anchoring tab which you allen screw into place.

I will post some photos of the various fitments soon.

As an old (and technologically challenged) bloke, I was happy with how easily I got the units talking to each other, and to my phone.

With the voice activated option, regardless of whether we were still talking, the maximum talk time phased out 20 seconds after initating the conversation. I have reverted to manual operation now, because the XO (executive officer) rarely can get said what she needs to say in 20 seconds.

She has an astonishing ability to want to say something, JUST as Keith Richards is getting into a really nice lick, and interrupts my pleasure, but otherwise, sound quality is great; wind noise is nil; human/machine interface is great.

Thanks for your help Adam; The reason I queried the price of your invoice was that I really only wanted one earbud mount, but we got our wires crossed (can you get crossed wires with Bluetooth?) and you have provided two; perfectly happy to have a spare however.

To anyone looking at this thread and wondering whether Rocket Moto are the real deal, I can answer emphatically YES!!!! On my experience you can shop with Adam and his crew with 100% confidence.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #238
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Just got off the phone with Dave right now, and had a very pleasant conversation. We had a few laughs, and I shed a few tears as I explained my broken bracket and how I'd have to buy a new one after catching and breaking off the one on my helmet. My fault, not due to a flaw of any sort in the product.

Well I was just as pleased as punch that Dave managed to find a return he could just send out to me, no charge.

Customer service is important, and excellent service like this is why I'll go back to RocketMoto for future purchases.

Thanks!
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #239
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Awsome

got mine in he mail w/in a week. installed it yesterday. paired the two together, way simple. paired my MP3 this morning, didn't work so i ran it witht he wire. volume not to impressive at speed. tried the bluetooth MP3 right now and works great, volume is way higher than wired. plus i can still run the wire to the second headset.

paired my fone and tested it out. 80 mph and could hear the caller just fine. i'm partialy deaf so this is amazing.

Dorzok screwed with this post 11-12-2010 at 09:07 AM
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #240
DayTrippin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Finally had a chance to play with it for a while. It took a while to figure out how to install it in my Scorpion EXO 900 modular helmet. It want easy as pie in my fiance's HJC modular. After about an hour of worked and some nicely poked holes in my finger from my cutting tools I had it installed.

First of what a PITA to get the boom mic snaked under the chin bar each time. I have the XL version of the helmet and I don't think the boom is long enough. It always ends up not directly in front of my mouth. People complain I am very quiet when talking on the phone. Maybe if it had some sort of mic gain control I could compensate. I have the device moved as far forward as I can on the helmet. They need a model with a longer boom for the mic. Every time I flip the chin up or down I have to reset the mic, It would also help to have a stiffer boom.

Pairing went easy as pie. My Blackberry Curve 8900 paired right up with it. Seems to work great and as a bonus, the track controls work while using the bluetooth connection. I can easily move forward or back with the jog dial on the helmet. Way cool! It just took a little bit to get how I actually had to touch the jog dial to make it work.

I also did an extended ride and I got about 10.5 hours of continuous use before the battery tuckered out. Not too bad as its only been through one power recharge cycle and might get slightly better. I left my fiance's on continuous play while hooked up to the MP3 player and it went for 9.5 hours on its very first charge while at max volume.

As for the sound quality this is obviously impacted by where you mount the speaker drivers. They are very directional so try and mount them directly across from your ear canals. Take the time to play with it and get them even as there is no balance control. Slight variations can/will affect the apparent volume in each ear. Mine where off about an 1/8 inch and I could hear the difference in volume.

As mentioned sound quality isn't the greatest but what did you expect for the size drivers... Bass is definitely lacking. However the absolute volume is quite impressive but not quite enough for what I needed but I need to explain.

On my bike for this test, it was a V-strom with Arkapovic exhaust so a bit louder than stock. Ok, maybe a bit more than stock but not Harley loud. I headed out to the local expressway where the speed limit is 75 mph and most people are running 85 mph. This was a pretty good high speed test. There is a long uphill section that loads the motor nicely and at fairly high altitude, 6000’ above sea level.

I did a couple bursts to 100+ just to test everything out. First thing I noticed was NO additional wind noise or turbulence around the helmet. Kudos to Sena! I was concerned about that and nobody mentioned anything about that from what I read.

Second was these things can definitely play loud. Even in excess of 100 mph I still could hear the things but base was so non-existent that all I had was sort of a harsh overly saturated mids and highs. I pulled over and decided to “tune” my setup a bit. I tried moving the drivers around in the helmet and this didn’t help too much other than when I moved them the volume decreased when not lined up as accurately with my ears.

So I popped in my ear plugs. The first set has 32 decibel noise reduction rating (NRR). They are the foam ones you can find at WallyWorld for example. They are disposable and work pretty well. Quick blast up through the gears and bike and road are very quiet. They did a great job muting the exhaust, wind and road noise. They also muted the Sena too much as well. One major plus was they attenuated the high frequencies apparently more than the lows. Overall sound quality at high volumes markedly improved for me! I thought now I am on to something. Only problem was with the volume maxed out it wasn’t quite enough to clearly hear the music.

I went home and chopped down a pair of these. My thought was to reduce their effective NRR. Went for another test ride and much better. Almost there I thought. Downside was I didn’t have enough foam left to stay well engaged in my ear. They started to slip out of my ears after about 20 minutes of riding.

I drove back home and dug around for my other ear plugs. These were the reusable ones that have a little leash that Home Despot sells. They are yellow with three concentric rings of decreasing diameter. They have a 25 NRR. Downside for me is they aren’t quite as comfortable for an all day ride. Anyway off for a test ride. Bingo! We have a winner!!! OMG, the difference in the sound quality was amazing. The highs were attenuated enough that the music sounded much more balanced. I could hear pretty well up to about 80 mph. Above that is where I would like just a touch more volume.

I took the ear plugs out while riding around town and the sound was horrible by comparison. In real terms it isn’t terrible but the ear plugs really helped everything out at higher speeds. I cranked the volume up and I was really surprised at how loud they really are.

I bought an extra mount that has just the earbud connector and no speaker driver for the helmet. I don’t know if I’ll go that route but sound quality would be better. I must say that with the ear plugs in it they did sound pretty good. I may trim one concentric ring off my last set of ear plugs. That may get me where I want to be for a long trip.

Around town and at lower speeds the stock drivers aren’t that bad. They do the job and get louder than any other Bluetooth headset I’ve used. I think lack of base is always an issue with these types of systems and is to be expected. If I could have just a bit more volume to use with ear plugs I’d be thrilled. They are very loud stock when mounted correctly. Perhaps your bike is quieter than mine so this may not be an issue but not all the noise is from the exhaust. Some is wind and pavement. I have Metzeler Tourances on this bike.

If anyone wants to know more about how I fitted it on the EXO let me know and I’ll try and explain in detail. It is very securely mounted and I was able to use the clamp bracket rather than resorting to the stickon version.

Overall I’d give this system an 8.5 out of 10. Seems very solid and not ignition/radio interference. Bluetooth and wired are equally as loud. It does a good job with the source material. I did connect the earbud version up to a good set of earbuds and no issues there. I tried it on another helmet I have but I didn’t go as fast. I just can’t stay to wear my good earbuds more than about an hour. They sound great but aren’t that comfortable. I wish they made a version where you could switch between drivers in the helmet or earbuds. They could add another port on the main base to allow this. I don’t always have my earbuds with me and this would give me the best of both worlds.

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.
DayTrippin is offline   Reply With Quote