Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #256
JaredBolton
A.K.A Bolt-On

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
Thanks for posting up, Jared! I liked the survival guide and having one of those for all the rest of the races would be great. I liked your GNCC history and other articles as well. You've put together a great web site: http://jaredbolton.com/ , the videos are great. For folks who haven't seen them, check them out here:

http://jaredbolton.com/2010/07/04/2010-gncc-videos/
No problem! Thank you for the reposts and kind words on the site.

I actually just launched that site a few weeks ago to give some extra commentary, videos, and articles for the off-road racing scene. Other than Offroad Junkies, Digital Offroad and my other site Vision Moto, there's really not much out there in way of coverage of offroad racing. Since that's the case I figured I would do what I can to get more out there.

Definitely expect to see more Survival Guides! Even the guys who have been to all the tracks multiple times seemed to enjoy it, so they'll keep coming!

Glad you liked the GNCC History article. There was a lot of research behind that, and it's cool to have something like that around so people know how this huge series came about. It's pretty cool for it to come from such humble beginnings with one little race that ended up turning into a huge race and a whole series.
JaredBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #257
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Back from vacation and trying to cram a week of prep into 2 days. I took a 2 hour mountain bike ride today, trying to counter the effects of 5 days in the Bahamas and to hopefully make some progress with the fitness aspect. I know it won't really help much with this next race on Sunday, but I have to start somewhere. Hopefully within a month or two, if I keep at it, I will begin to see the benefits of a higher level of fitness. I don't want to give the impression that I haven't been doing anything, though. But off-bike work has mostly been jogging and a little bit of weights. But it's clear I need to step it up if I want to finish better than I have been.

Also, I got two more protective items for the new bike to install - a clutch slave cylinder guard and a swingarm guard, protection for two expensive and exposed components.

The 'berg and all KTMs (Husaberg is owned by KTM and they are built in the same factory in Austria for those that may not know) have really sweet butter smooth hydraulic clutches. However, the clutch slave cylinder is very wisely located right in front of the counter shaft sprocket. Here's the stock setup:

I'm not really keen on the plastic guard there, it seems pretty flimsy to me. So if the chain breaks and jams up in there or a rock or something gets jammed in there, it can do some serious damage and leave you stranded, not to mention possibly leave you with some expensive repairs.

So this is where the aftermarket has filled the niche, Enduro Engineering makes a better setup:

Installation was simple. It has a beefy steel knock-down bar to keep the chain and debris away from the case, and the slave cylinder and the cases in front of it are now reinforced with a beefy aluminum guard:

The Husaberg "Hard Parts" catalog makes a fancy blue one, but they want twice as much for it and it doesn't have the knock-down bar, so I think the EE version is better anyway.

On to the swing arm. Last week I replaced the stock chain guide with a much better quality version made by TM Designs. The problem is not the chain guide here, though, but rather the swing arm mounts for it. Notice they are exposed and a good hit on a rock other hard object could crack or break them off. The only solution after that is to buy a whole new swing arm.

Bullet Proof Designs has the fix for this with their swing arm mount guard. It requires some minor drilling and tapping for two bolts underneath, but otherwise was also an easy install. You can see the extra support it provides:

Here's a shot from the back side, it reinforces both the front and the back of the mounts, and distributes any impacts to a larger area. Seems like cheap insurance to me vs replacing an entire swing arm in case the chain guide mounting tabs break off.

I'm not quite done yet to get it ready for Sunday. I still have a brake snake to install, and I still need to trim the bars down about an inch. But that will have to wait until Saturday, if all goes according to plan, I'll be riding most of the day tomorrow at a local track to get some seat time before the race.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #258
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,793
im excited for you to see that the berg is working out so well! Hopefully youll get yer started routine down soon!

i hear what yer saying aboot the fitness - im just starting back up from scratch.... im out with the wife this weekend for our first anneversary so there wont be much in the way of fitness going on..... well, there will be SOME

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #259
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
well, there will be SOME
My back is cramping just thinking about it.

Just got back from Malwart. I bought some pedialyte (Malwart's house brand) in preparation for tomorrow's race. I considered changing my rear tire out (gotta new Maxxis in the garage) but I think the tire I got on there has at least one more race in it.

A few weeks back, I offered to drive a friend of mine down to see his son race the Brown Jug hare scramble. He hasn't been able to see his son race since he was paralyzed by an inattentive driver who slammed into him and his Kawasaki Sherpa last year. Getting him there was my first priority, getting to actually race was my second priority.

As a result, my focus has been on logistics of getting to this weeks race. His sons race is around 10:30 a.m. and our race is at 3:15. Today, I drove across Charlotte and bought a hitch-mount motorcycle carrier so that my wife could meet me down there with my bike. She refuses to pull a trailer and knowing how she drives, I refuse to let her.

I got everything set up, got my bike mounted to the back of my Forerunner and decided to give it a test run by going to see my buddy about tomorrow.

He told me his son got in trouble this week and his punishment is not being able to race!!! He forgot to call me

He felt bad after I told him about the bike carrier. I had to convince him that I have been wanting one for a while (I really have!!) and didn't mind buying it.

So, at least this way my wife won't have to drive my bike to the race and there's a greater chance it'll arrive in one piece!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #260
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Kind of puts things into perspective, Blur. Good on ya for working out a way to help your buddy. Maybe the little rascal will behave himself and you can take your buddy to the next race.

With that story, though, it drives home the fact that anything can happen at any time, so enjoy each day as they come. And it reminds me that I'm pretty lucky and certainly thankful to be heading out tomorrow to another dirt bike race. See you there, Blur.

Hey pasta, happy anniversary and I hope you get a good work-out! Your training method sounds a lot more fun than mountain biking.

My wife and I just celebrated our 20th. You are making me feel old.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #261
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes

My wife and I just celebrated our 20th. You are making me feel old.
my wife told me that I cant say something mean here so.... congrats!!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #262
Blur
Screwed and stapled

HATS OFF TO EVERYONE WHO FINISHED THE RACE!! I couldn't do it.

After wrecking FIVE times, I was way too tired to go a third lap. That powdery stuff is so foreign to me! I found that there were many spots where, if you strayed from the line a few inches left or right, you had WAY less control. Gimme NC red clay over that powdery stuff they got in SC anytime!

At one point in the race, I was following a guy through some whoops. I happened to look down at his rear tire when it hit the trough of one of the whoops. The "sand" actually SPLASHED!!

I use quotations for "sand" because I thought sand was supposed to have some graininess to it. This stuff was like flour.

Check your fork seals, boys!!!

------------------
When I got back to my car, my wife says "Ya' know.... if you're gonna keep doing this, you're gonna have to cross-train. There's no way to get to the fitness level you need to be just by riding your bicycle a couple times a week."

When I hear the words "Cross train", I think of two things..... P90X and the video in this thread of someone pulling an old range rover, lifting old truck axles over their head, running. Ugh!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #263
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 339
I was able to finish the race but it was definitely hot out there. I finished 8th out of 13 in the Vet C 35+ class and was really happy with the last lap where I was able to make two passes on guys in my class. The second pass was within a few tenths of a mile of the finish line. I remember seeing the 6 miles sign and knew I didn't have long to go so when we entered a pretty wide corner and I just went WFO until I got ahead. Nothing dirty though, just was fun to push myself a little bit. My last lap was about 1.5 minutes faster then my prior two laps. Just shows what a little competition will do to get the adrenaline flowing. Only dropped the bike once at about 2 mph. Turned the bars tight to go around a tree and the front just washed in a big pile of silt/talc/sand (whatever that was). Hopefully, the next race will be cooler!
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #264
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Thumb

Excellent Job, Wanderer!!!

I got passed on a hill by a guy who came so close, we literally banged handlebars. Didn't make me wreck or make me mad. I thought it was kinda cool, actually

Hare scrambles are fun, that's for sure. I prolly wouldn't have participated in these last two races if it hadn't been for this thread. Thanks, NB!!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #265
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
I prolly wouldn't have participated in these last two races if it hadn't been for this thread. Thanks, NB!!
You're welcome! I've always said of motorcycling, I wasn't sure what I liked the best about it - the pure joy of riding, or all the great people you meet along the way. I'm sure glad to have made two new friends with you and Wanderer13 through this thread. It's been great meeting you guys in person. Moto brings out good people!

I'll post up more later, but I felt real good about this race, mainly because my laps were very consistent. My 2nd lap was actually a little faster than the 1st, and my 3rd lap was just a little off my 1st, but not by much - only about 45 seconds in a 30+ minute lap. I'll take that.

But you are right, that stuff was like flour - that fine silt dust, it's a misnomer to call it sand. It was a very rough course, and due to that and all the concrete hard dry baked ruts from prior events covered with a couple of inches of that fine slick silt, it was very technical, bone jarring rough, and super slick all at the same time. I couldn't go particularly fast on it, but I was consistent at least and didn't fall off my 1st lap pace much, which is what I was trying to accomplish. Where it looked like you could open it up a little bit, you were usually immediately met by a bunch of whoops to throw you off. Whoops are my kryptonite - I hate those things. A couple of times I went to gas it after seeing what appeared to be a nice straightaway, only to go nearly bucking off in the whoops.

Anyway, I ended up with a 6th place finish, out of 9 in class and 66th overall out of 114 I think, including the DNFs. Not sure where everyone was this time around, maybe it was the distance to this race - it's a longer drive for most folks to get there, maybe the heat, maybe the dust, maybe all of the above.

It was a good track, though. The dust made it hard, it just hung in the air back there in the woods, almost like a dense fog than never lifted. And the heat was ridiculous, too, someone said a heat index of 105.

Congrats Blur and Wanderer13 for the finishes. I think the attrition rate would have been much higher if the usual number of people showed up. We were about 60 or 70 riders shy this round from the usual number. I think only the hard core folks showed up.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 02:00 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #266
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 579
This thread has created a monster, hope to see you folks out on the course soon. NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #267
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's a great shot!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #268
Blur
Screwed and stapled

My first race video attempt:
http://vimeo.com/13308598

Still haven't figured out how to mount it to my helmet straight
Old 07-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #269
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Round 8 - Brown Jug

Round 8: Brown Jug in Union, SC. Heat index of 105. The track was hard and rough, with dry baked ruts like concrete. And made extremely slick with a thick layer of fine silty dust that hung in the air like a dense fog in the breezeless afternoon heat.

Brown Jug has a little extra significance this year because it marks the mid-point of the season. It is the 8th round of the 16 round series. After Brown Jug, we are half-way there.

The Pirelli guys that come to all our races ready to swap new rubber for old are always busy and can change a tire in no time flat. But I have to chuckle at the spent tire leaning against that chair. They sure got there money's worth out of that one!

First row of the pro race lined up.

I said conditions were slick and dusty. This next sequence is the first row start in the pro race and gives you an idea of it. This is the first turn just off the start, which was a left handed U turn than turned back parallel from where we started.

If you weren't leading, it was very hard to see and breathe. And with all the ruts, roots, and rocks, not to mention the slick hard-pack underneath, not being able to see any of that in the hanging dust made conditions treacherous at the very least.

Here's what it looked like coming through scoring. That's the 3rd place rider in the pro class coming through. He also finished 3rd in the pro race overall, which was an excellent finish, especially since Jesse Robinson made an appearance here at this round. Here in these photos, scoring shows he is behind #13, Jesse Robinson, who happened to lead the last GNCC overall until the last lap. That's some serious speed to lead the overall of a GNCC. Here's a little glurb about Jesse's results in the Roof of Africal Rally in 2008, this guy is the real deal!

http://www.gnccracing.com/articles/8...f-africa-rally

While he was in 2nd place at the end of the 1st lap, Jesse ended up winning the PRO class and the overall for the morning pro race. But not by a huge amount, 2nd place was just 3 minutes behind, which in a 2 hours race, doesn't seem like a whole lot to me, which equates to about 30 seconds per lap since they were doing 6 laps in their 2 hours of race time. At any rate, that's some serious racing and speed, their lap times were 12 minutes quicker than mine, and they even had a section of track that we did not have which included a pretty difficult hill climb, not to mention raced for 2 hours and did 6 laps as opposed to my class's 3. Those guys are ANIMALS.

As mentioned before, conditions were tough again for this race. It seems like all these races have some pretty significant challenges. If it's not mud, it's steep climbs and descents, if not climbs, it's dust, if not dust, its the heat, if not any one of those, it's a combination of all or some of them at the same time. For this race, the trails are well used. I think two years ago, this race got a cloud burst downpour during the afternoon race, and that cause real nasty ruts to form through the whole length of the course. Then afterwards, the ruts baked in the SC heat to form like concrete. Then successive races wore those down somewhat, but still left a deeply rutted course, but in wearing them down, that produced a thick layer of very fine silty dust. It's not sand - if this stuff got wet, it would definitely be mud. I would very much not enjoy riding this course wet, it would be treacherously slick. As it was, it was rough with all the ruts and exposed roots and rocks. And it was slick with the thick layer of fine silt on top of the hard ground. And it was DUSTY so it was very difficult to not only see, but to breathe as well. I know I took home a good portion of South Carolina in my lungs on Sunday.

Anyway, there were only 8 people on the line for us, even though scoring says 9, think that was a mistake. I got off the line in 5th place. I could see Blur two positions ahead of me, at least until we looped back around the start. I was behind a slower rider and the dust was impenetrable, I dared not pass unable to see. I did get around pretty quickly, though and made my way around, let Harry E. around me since he's much faster, no need me holding him up. It wasn't long before I saw Blur down on the side of the trail in a gully. I slowed for a moment, giving some thought to seeing if he was OK and maybe lending a hand, but I could see he was up and just about getting going again, so I kept going.

I couldn't go particularly fast on this track. I never felt like I could get any kind of rhythm going. Every time I felt like I was getting a little speed going, my front would wash, or my rear would spin out and fishtail on the ruts, or the rough roots or rocks would throw me off. And when it did finally open up a little bit to gain some speed, I was immediately met with deep whoops to send me bucking the whole length of the straight. It seemed like this track was intentionally trying to throw me off any kind of rhythm and wreck me. I felt like I really struggled to maintain control.

This course, being so rough, was very draining on your body. It really beat you up, it was jarring for the whole length of it. Because of that, I tried to keep reminding myself to stand up on the pegs which is a lot easier on your body and keeps you from being jarred so much. I did that as much as I could, until my legs started burning, then sat for a while. I alternated doing that a lot, so much so my knees began to hurt each time I lifted and sat back down.

At the end of the 1st lap, I was in 6th place. I knew the first 4 guys at least were the usual top 4 spots in our class, regardless of whether there were just the 8 of us like today, or 20+ people like some other races. So being where I was in position was not unexpected to me. I was going to feel lucky in this race if I didn't finish last. Not that I would have been terribly upset about that, it happens, it's no big deal as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of fast guys in my class.

So the 2nd lap was much like the first, I passed a few people, a few people passed me. I held steady, didn't push too far beyond my limits, still never really felt comfortable, and felt like I had to hold the bike tight on the line 100% of the time with total concentration, and never could develop any flow. Again it was a struggle, just like the first lap. At then end of the 2nd lap, I was still in 6th.

On the 3rd lap, I was thinking, OK, there's 2 people in my class behind me. They didn't catch me on the 1st or 2nd laps, but here it is the 3rd lap, and I'm probably dropping off the pace some, so I need to NOT do that and keep up my pace and not let up to give them a chance to pass me. It was again a struggle, and did everything I could to keep reminding myself to stand up on the pegs to conserve energy, and to stay on the gas whenever I could and it was safe to do so. This lap was definitely the hardest. Early on in the lap, not even to the first mile marker, I discovered my camel back was empty - no drink. That's not good. I had gone through 100 oz of 1/3 pedialite, 2/3 water/ice on the 1st two laps, and now I'm empty for the 3rd. Oh well, I tried to reason that maybe I could go a little bit faster because I wouldn't have to worry about taking my hand off the bar to fish the camel back spout up to get a drink.

At any rate, as I neared the finish, there was no sign of being passed by anyone, so I figured I'd made it and indeed I finished in 6th place. Upon looking at the results, my lap times were:

1st lap : 32:32
2nd lap : 32:16
3rd lap : 33:18

I was real happy to see that, because at Denver I lost 2 minutes on the 2nd lap, and 4 minutes on the 3rd and 4th laps off my 1st lap pace, and that was only a 21 minute lap. But in this race, with an even longer 32 minute lap, I was actually about 15 seconds FASTER on my 2nd lap, and only about 45 seconds slower on my last lap. Sweet! Maintaining my 1st lap pace through the whole race is one of the things I've been trying to improve, and it looks like I'm on the right track.

So my class finish percentage is 6/8 or 75%. But my overall finish was 66 out of 112 or 59%. So, that's better and I think probably more indicative, since there were so few people in our start row, and all the real fast guys were there of course and they are going to take the top spots for sure.

But since there was such a low turn out this race, I think my class and overall percentage would have been even better if the normal accompaniment would have shown up. Based on past races, we should be seeing around 180 people in our afternoon race. But there were only 112 this time, so we were off by almost 70 positions. I'm definitely not saying I would have finished in front of all of them, but in general, I think the faster folks are the ones that showed up since they are usually the ones trying to win or at least do well in their class championships and wouldn't miss a race so lightly. So the fast guys are definitely going to be there, so percentage wise, I think think the guys that stayed home are NOT an even mix of fast vs slow, but would tend toward the slower end of the bell curve. Just my theory to make myself feel better. lol

So here we are at the mid-point of the season, and I think I'm finally starting to figure out what I need to do, and if this race was not a fluke, beginning to be able to actually do it - that is, put in a reasonably good 1st lap, keep it up on two wheels, and maintain that pace for the entire race, that is, not fade for laps 2, 3, and however many laps we end up doing for the 1.5 hour race duration. My hopes for the 2nd half of the series are to continue to improve in this regard, and hopefully get some better finishes and continue to improve my riding, speed, and overall skill level. As for the season overall, I am halfway there - 8 races down, 8 to go. I've been fortunate to make it to every race so far.

Anyway, here's my ride post-race:

One more positive in this race, is that there was no mud to wash off, and dust rinses off easily.

And here's the full first lap from my helmet cam. Note that at 3m 23s you can see Blur off the side of the trail in the gully to the left. You can see me slow down a little an pause debating whether I should stop or not. But he looked OK, and like he was just about to get going again, so I figured he'd want me to keep going. According to his video, he ended up catching up to me anyway, and I think I was about ready to wave him around but then he crashed. Sorry buddy - sometimes you just have that kind of a day, sounds like that is what happened for you. This track was a real struggle, though. Had I pushed it and tried to go much faster, I would have joined you on the ground, the ruts and rocks and roots and fine silt made it pretty treacherous, actually. But somehow I was able to stay on two wheels the whole race, though I did have several VERY close calls.

BTW, Blur, when you were following me in your video, 9m 40s in yours corresponds to 15m 52s in mine. I can hear you coming up behind me. I think I was going to pull over and wave you by soon, but then you can hear you curse at 17:04 in my video, then nothing. Good stuff!

http://www.vimeo.com/13289385

2010 NCHSA RD 8 - BROWN JUG from bsd512 on Vimeo.

Round 8 of the NCHSA 2010 series, Brown Jug. The course was tough - lots of very fine silt dust, making it slick, dusty, and with all the hidden and not so hidden roots, rocks, and ruts, pretty treacherous too, not to mention the 100+ degree heat index. But it was a lot of fun, I had a great time.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 07:50 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #270
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Awesome pics and excellent write-up, B!!!