Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #31
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
+1

Father / Daughter Hare Scramble Team - how awesome would that be?
We'll see next weekend !!!

She has put together a ride report. If she'll quit with the attitude maybe I'll let her post it tonight.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #32
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
hmmmm... I've never seen anyone race a blue square before....

I knew I should have made it orange.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #33
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,715
Quote:
I knew I should have made it orange.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #34
scarface502
n00b

Oddometer: 1
cool vid of the race, mountain challenge was awsome, nothing like devils ridge . hopefully taylorsville will be like mountain, its gonna be fun racing against josh on his rm250 in the +25unlimited class!
scarface502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #35
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, looking forward to that, too, but I'll be in the row or two ahead of you guys. Should be a good time.

I just hope it stays dry. I would prefer a dry race, but I can't deny that of the two mud races I've done, I did well enough to get a trophy, but in the dry races, I've finished in the back half. Hmmm .... But the thought of riding Brushy Mountain in the rain is a little unsettling to say the least.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Yes, looking forward to that, too, but I'll be in the row or two ahead of you guys. Should be a good time.

I just hope it stays dry. I would prefer a dry race, but I can't deny that of the two mud races I've done, I did well enough to get a trophy, but in the dry races, I've finished in the back half. Hmmm .... But the thought of riding Brushy Mountain in the rain is a little unsettling to say the least.
have a blast and watch out for those dammed trees!!

Quote:
Old 04-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #37
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
have a blast and watch out for those dammed trees!!

Thanks.

I just got back from a 1.5 hour pre-race practice ride and felt and rode like crap. If I ride like that during the race, I'll be lucky to even finish. I don't know what's up, I hope I'm not coming down with something.

I'm thinking about leaving the 450 at home and riding my son's 200 XC-W 2-stroke. Decisions decisions ...
Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #38
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Thanks.

I just got back from a 1.5 hour pre-race practice ride and felt and rode like crap. If I ride like that during the race, I'll be lucky to even finish. I don't know what's up, I hope I'm not coming down with something.

I'm thinking about leaving the 450 at home and riding my son's 200 XC-W 2-stroke. Decisions decisions ...
well either way.... have a blast

Quote:
Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #39
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:

Your joking right??
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #40
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:

do it. I've seen very few guys at our level who belong on a 450 (and they all weighed 300 pounds).

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #41
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
do it. I've seen very few guys at our level who belong on a 450 (and they all weighed 300 pounds).
300 pound motorcycle racers?!

Quote:
Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #42
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow
Your joking right??
Nope. I hadn't planned on it, but the fact that I seem to be having a carb venting or some kind of problem on the 450 is factoring into it. When I tip the bike even slightly to the left, like one might do to spin a 180 to turn around, the engine wants to stall. Feels like it is flooding. But only to the left, does not do it to the right. Same thing happens when I go over a jump or something - starts to burble and sounds like it's going to stall. If it does stall, it takes a good bit to get it started again - like it was flooded. I made sure the vent hoses were not pinched, so maybe its internal. It's not the gas cap venting because I replaced that with a new one already.

The carb is probably due for a good cleaning, so I wonder if some little passage or something in there got a piece of dirt in and got clogged? Seemed to only notice this after the Devil's Ridge mud race mid-March.

I've been wanting to try the 200 in a race anyway. I just haven't had much seat time on it, so it I'm not sure it's a good idea in that respect. I'd be learning a lot about how it handles on the climbs and rough stuff on the fly.

If I can't figure out what's wrong tomorrow, I may switch for this race and see how it goes.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #43
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
300 pound motorcycle racers?!

uh, yeah - not many but I live in the Fat Person Capital of the World. One would be surprised at how many people are 250+.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #44
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

I spent all day working on the bike, I tore down and cleaned the carb real good, cleaned all the jets, flushed out all the passages with high pressure carb cleaner, and replaced all the vent tubing. I have been unable to reproduce the problem I was having yesterday. Not sure if I've solved it or not, though, as it seems to be intermittent.

Anyway, I'm going to run the 450 tomorrow. I've never run the Brushy race before, so I don't know how the course is, but I've ridden the trails at Brushy Mtn several times and they are pretty gnarly up hills, rocky, rooty, pretty tough terrain. So I'm gonna stick with the bike I know best and have already set up. If I was still seeing the carb problem I was having yesterday, I'd ride the 200 2t. But the 450 seems to be running well after tearing down and cleaning the carb.

I will try the 200 at some point this season, though. It's such a light and fun bike, I think that bike is purpose built for hare scrambles in the woods. I'll give it a shot, but just not this race.

Leaving bright and early in the morning ... riding with a buddy this time, so the 3 hour drive might go a little faster. We'll be pitting together, too, so that should be more fun than going it alone like the last race, though I don't mind that, it's fun too but in a different way.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #45
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

NCHSA Round 3: Brushy Mountain Hare Scramble

Quick update:

I just got in from the race - I'm pretty beat. It was a great day, got to hang out with friends, had a surprise and welcome visitor from the VIU make the long trip out for support, and the course was pretty EPIC by most standards. Some of the climbs and course sections were Gnarly with a capital "G." There were severe bottle necks in some places where normally sane people somehow lose all rational thought, and some places had many good riders floundering like it was their first time on a bike. It was pretty tough.

I'll post more later, but I did pretty decent by my standards - I got a 10th place finish out of 21 riders. I was working pretty hard to do that, and it paid off with a trophy. Sweet! And it wasn't even a mud race - even better!

nobrakes screwed with this post 05-02-2010 at 09:09 PM