Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #106
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
It may not look like it on the vid, but I was trying my best to look for a way around him. But ... this *is* noob racing, after all. It's part of my charm.

The trials tire did OK in the mud. Normally when I give it gas on those steep hills, I'm used to a knobby hooking up and accelerating. The trials tire didn't exactly do that, it felt more like going through deep sand instead - churning away, making slow progress, but always progress.

The next race is this Sunday - Rd 5: County Line. I haven't decided if I'm going to go or take the weekend off. I'm leaning on going, but I feel pretty sapped out of energy right now, and the forecast is thunderstorms. If I do go, I'm thinking about putting the knobby back on. I'll probably go back and forth for a while until I decide which I really like better. The answer will likely depend on the terrain.

I'm also thinking about using this next race to give the 200 XC-W a try. I have a good bit of set-up work to do on it first, though. Rear spring, handlebar, grips, sag setup, tires, .... On top of that, a buddy is begging me to help work on his bike. Where to find the time ...

I had new goggles for this weekend and it was the first time I'd used them - Smith "Intake." Last year I was using Oakley "Crowbar." They fogged up, too. I think it's just the humid conditions, combined with a lot of humidity, hard breathing, and slow going. I was using Smith "Piston" before that, but switched to the Intakes because it seems a lot easier to find tear-offs for them. I liked the Piston's better, but not everyone carries tear-offs. That Haber Ventilator thing should be here Friday. Hope I can get it to fit. That should eliminate any fogging for good.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #107
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Never had a fogging issue with my Crowbars this past weekend NB.

Hope you take the weekend off and hang with me and the boys at the farm. We'll do plenty of ridin on the HS and MX tracks.

I'll help with Tyler's bike if ya want to get together at the farm.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #108
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,940
well if you go, kick some ass - i myself am heading out to Ridgecrest for a USDR race!

Sounds like a good weekend to me!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #109
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler
Never had a fogging issue with my Crowbars this past weekend NB.

Hope you take the weekend off and hang with me and the boys at the farm. We'll do plenty of ridin on the HS and MX tracks.

I'll help with Tyler's bike if ya want to get together at the farm.
I wasn't blaming the goggles, in fact, more pointing out that it probably wasn't the particular goggles since two different types fogged up on me. Must be me.

I worked on Tyler's bike for him tonight. Valve adjust - both the intakes and exhausts. I don't think that was his problem, though. I think the sealant around the header and the manifold just blew out, and it was sucking air, causing it to pop on decel. He's going to fix that.

I spent the rest of the evening working on the 200 XC-W. I still have a good bit of work to do to get it ready for me to race. I need to replace the rear tire, the Rekluse needs an adjustment - the clutch pack is a little too tight and it wants to stall when the rear wheel locks up - need to fix that, and I need to install the new rear spring and set the sag. Tonight I put on new handlebars, cut them down to fit between the trees, and adjusted the steering stops which were set too wide. Not sure I can get all that done, I may need to prioritize.

So as long as it's not raining too badly, I'm shooting to ride County Line on Sunday. If not, I'll join you at the farm.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #110
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
well if you go, kick some ass - i myself am heading out to Ridgecrest for a USDR race!

Sounds like a good weekend to me!

Give'm hell, Pasta! I look forward to your update.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #111
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
Give'm hell, Pasta! I look forward to your update.
I look forward to gathering enough material to provide one!

Quote:
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #112
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
I wasn't blaming the goggles, in fact, more pointing out that it probably wasn't the particular goggles since two different types fogged up on me. Must be me.

I worked on Tyler's bike for him tonight. Valve adjust - both the intakes and exhausts. I don't think that was his problem, though. I think the sealant around the header and the manifold just blew out, and it was sucking air, causing it to pop on decel. He's going to fix that.

I spent the rest of the evening working on the 200 XC-W. I still have a good bit of work to do to get it ready for me to race. I need to replace the rear tire, the Rekluse needs an adjustment - the clutch pack is a little too tight and it wants to stall when the rear wheel locks up - need to fix that, and I need to install the new rear spring and set the sag. Tonight I put on new handlebars, cut them down to fit between the trees, and adjusted the steering stops which were set too wide. Not sure I can get all that done, I may need to prioritize.

So as long as it's not raining too badly, I'm shooting to ride County Line on Sunday. If not, I'll join you at the farm.
Thanks for helping out Tyler in my absence. I'll call ya on the way home this afternoon. You need some help getting ready for the race?

What's the race wx forecast look like?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #113
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Forecast looks like it might be a little moist.

"Partly sunny. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 80. North winds around 5 mph...becoming east around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent."

That's better than the forecast for last week's race, though. At least then the heavy rain held off until the ride home. Hope we're at least that lucky this time around. They've had a good bit of rain this week, though, and it looks to continue all through the weekend. So even if no rain on Sunday, the condition will likely still be wet.

I don't require help, but help is always appreciated, even it's just stopping by to shoot the breeze while I wrench.

I got the new shock spring installed just moments ago. Sag is set. Not perfect, but close enough.

Next up is the Rekluse adjustment. Then spoon on my MT-16 rear tire. It's the best tire I have at the moment, at least my most trusted regardless of conditions, and since I haven't ridden County Line before and don't really know the course or terrain, I'm going to go with it.

After that, I think I'll call it done. Oh, I need to fix the damper collar around the steering head - it got a little sideways somehow. Then figure an appropriate damper setting. I'm new to the Scotts that was on the bike when I bought it, so I need to read up on that a little.

This will be my first time racing the 2-stroke, and the first time on this type of terrain with lots of elevation changes. I have very little experience on a 2-stroke, so I feel like I'm going quite a ways out of my comfort zone. But that bike is so light and agile, it's amazing - it's hard to deny that advantage it has. It feels like a mountain bike with a motor compared to my 450. I'm just worried about the power band on the hills. Some of those suckers are Steep with a capitol "S", not just steep, but gnarled up with rocks and roots, not to mention the trees and low hanging limbs. I don't want to lose traction and spin, nor all the sudden get traction and loop out with the someone unpredictableness (to me) of the 2-t power delivery. Without the experience of how it's going to handle ... it's these kind of things that I stress myself out over pre-race. Afterwards and it's all said and done, I usually find there was nothing to be concerned with. I hope that's the case this time, too.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #114
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,235
You'll figure it all out...good luck !!!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #115
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, T-Bone!

I've been twiddling with the 200 for the last three evenings and several hours today. I think I've got it ready to go, at least as best I can. Nothing else I can think of to do, other than wish I had more time to get more used to it. Can only do so much in the back yard.

Here she is, this is the bike I'll be on tomorrow, I'm leaving the 450 at home:

I'm all packed up, everything checked off on the check-list and loaded into the truck, gear all packed, everything ready to go. Just need to load the bike in the morning and I'll be on the road early in the morning, heading out to NCHSA Round 5 - County Line.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #116
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
I'm all packed up, everything checked off on the check-list and loaded into the truck, gear all packed, everything ready to go. Just need to load the bike in the morning and I'll be on the road early in the morning, heading out to NCHSA Round 5 - County Line.
Don't forget your wallet!

Good luck dood...wish I was goin with ya. Need to spend some time with Mrs TW.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #117
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't forget your wallet!
Good think you rode with me last week, I was moneyless.

Quote:
Good luck dood...wish I was goin with ya. Need to spend some time with Mrs TW.
Thanks bro! Be thinking about me when the thunderstorms roll through. Catch you next time.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #118
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 374
Take more video for us too.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #119
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Unless there's a malfunction or something, I will definitely have video.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #120
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Thanks, T-Bone!

I've been twiddling with the 200 for the last three evenings and several hours today. I think I've got it ready to go, at least as best I can. Nothing else I can think of to do, other than wish I had more time to get more used to it. Can only do so much in the back yard.

Here she is, this is the bike I'll be on tomorrow, I'm leaving the 450 at home:

Wut's goin on with that pipe, dood?

Never seen anything like that!

Hope YOU got some video - Im struggling with my helmet cam and have decided to abandon all use of it. Im never really thinking about what im doing when I have it, im always thinking about what video im getting.... you seem to do much better than I do!

Quote: