Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,496
Jackets and Leatt again

Hi,

I'm having difficulty sourcing a decent adventure jacket that's Leatt compatible. I burnt my Sinisalo adventure jacket because I took it off to wear the Leatt on the trails, lashing wasn't quite good enough.

I then bought a Troy Lee Blais jacket which lasted one ride when I came down heavy on the dirt and shredded it. It was ok fitting but obviously not tough enough and not waterproof as advertised either.

I wear a pressure suit as a rule so built in armour isn't necessary. it also means that the Leatt cannot sit on top of the jacket as the pressure suit holds the brace down in the front and the rear sits between the spine brace and the shirt part.

I'm now on the hunt for an adventure jacket that I can wear with a Leatt but am having no joy whatsoever. They need to be tough and well made to stand up to long journeys and being thrown at the scenery.

The list is the Ascerbis which will be in the same boat as the Blais is a heavy fall so can't be bothered going down that route. The KTM adventure jacket seems to have significant quality control issues so don't want to spend $300 on a jacket that falls to pieces.

The last and certainly not least is the Klim adventure jacket but my wife would prefer that I didn't spend $1300 on a jacket.

is there any jacket out there that has the attributes I need? I've done a lot of looking but no joy whatsover

rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Leatt jackets

Simple answer: No

I have the Blais jacket and the Klim Adventure jacket. There's nothing in between.

But you probably knew that.

;-)
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
Simple answer: No

I have the Blais jacket and the Klim Adventure jacket. There's nothing in between.

But you probably knew that.

;-)

Well, I was hoping for otherwise

Oh well, I'll have to get a second mortgage to buy the Klim, I might as well buy a bike at the same time to hide the cost

Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
What about a BMW R2P jacket, and a seamstress to cut the next. Use your Blais jacket so you know where to cut? It's been done, and I think you will find the guy that did it in the Leatt thread. I have a Blais jacket, and maybe it was your pictures I saw of it torn up, but here's hoping I don't crash too much, or at all!

Found it.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
BigM
Hello :-)

Oddometer: 766
your referring to the KTM Adventure AQ jacket?
How about the KTM Rallye Jacket?
There are mixed reports on the build quality, but it seems to fit your requirements... just ask for a 'well made one' when ordering. Thats what I will be doing.
Leo Vince X3 Pipe, Scotts Steering Dampner, Woody's Rear Wheel + Cush Hub, Race Tech Gold Suspension, 18L Tank, Bark busters, Trail Tech SCMR16 HID Helmet Mount, Comfort Seat, Bark Busters, Stealth Sproket, Trail Tech X2, Michelin Desert

Cedo Nulli
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM
your referring to the KTM Adventure AQ jacket?
How about the KTM Rallye Jacket?
There are mixed reports on the build quality, but it seems to fit your requirements... just ask for a 'well made one' when ordering. Thats what I will be doing.
The Rallye jacket does look good, do you think asking them nicely for a well made one will work?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Or sideways slightly is one of these

http://www.motoport.com/_product_354..._Kevlar_Jacket

I came off low speed on the road (be lucky to be 30km/h) and shredded the dririder jacket and lost some bark of my elbow. Would like to upgrade to something thats going to last in an off and this appears to be the go.

Needs a liner to be waterproof but then so does the R2P. Oh and you only need half a mortgage.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Or sideways slightly is one of these

http://www.motoport.com/_product_354..._Kevlar_Jacket

I came off low speed on the road (be lucky to be 30km/h) and shredded the dririder jacket and lost some bark of my elbow. Would like to upgrade to something thats going to last in an off and this appears to be the go.

Needs a liner to be waterproof but then so does the R2P. Oh and you only need half a mortgage.
I like it a lot Steve. it ended up being $700+US by the time I had specced it though.

Wifey is not happy still. i pointed out I had saved her $500

Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,211
I'm in the same position, had a BMW spec Neck Brace for a year but unable to get a waterproof jacket Leatt brace compatible jacket that I liked.

I'm glad that a previous poster confirmed that the Blais jacket was not as waterproof as claimed as this was probably the jacket I would have bought. Not keen on the looks of either the current or previous model KTM Rally jacket. The current version is 195 and the older version is 130 but they're not really waterproof.

I've tried wearing my brace over the top of a Klim Valdez jacket but it didn't feel right, it was sitting up above my shoulders. I might give it another go but with the larger spacers in place to make it wider front to rear so that it hopefully clears the Alpinestar pressure suit I was wearing beneath the Valdez.

I find it strange that despite the increase in Leatt brace usage, there's only four compatible jackets that I'm aware of (Klim, Acerbis, Troy Lee & KTM)? I'm surprised that BMW still have not developed such a jacket despite the brace being available for 2 years?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Jackets

I had the Rallye Pro 2, but sold it on ADV before buying the Klim Adventure jacket. I liked it on sunny days between 55-80 degrees. I *didn't* like that I had to decide whether or not to put on the *inner* goretex liner. Not a problem with the Klim. Also, having the collar modified on the Rallye jacket for the Leatt was iffy at best. And the Rallye jackets were *blousy* for no particular reason.

I've worn the Klim in torrential rain with each collar. Absolutely bone-dry, while my Darien pants gave me the dreaded *peed my pants* look. I wear a Dainese pressure suit under the Klim, and I don't feel constricted at all. And the vents work great! I'll still wear my Blais on very warm days where rain seems unlikely, and I'm glad I have it. It is worth what I paid for it. So is the Klim....to me!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

It is a lot of money, but unfortunately I thinks its what it costs for quality gear.

For example my dririder may have sleeves of 500D codura, but I presume it failed so easily as its so thin to save money.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #12
rosscoact OP

Good point Steve, I had the $340 Blais jacket which was shredded in a dirt off on the first ride out. Good value?

I was looking at Tiger Angel, they've taken their prices off fopr the Element jacket but I think it used to be around $500. It's goretex so I presume it also would be trashed in the same scenario.

Dririder and even the KTM jackets have poor quality issues.

To me its between the Kevlar and the Klim which is available through Stevered at Adventuremoto but only as a full suit. One is about $820 odd AU for the jacket, the other is about three times that for the full suit.

Both are quite radical, even cutting edge, both are expensive but it's all relative. Wife doesn't see either as the solution but she's an accountant. She wants to buy a property down near Majors Creek so I could be wearing a jumper from Vinnies at this rate

Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Ross, the klim is goretex too. However on the first post of the thread about it there is a statement that he has never seen it that thick (a big reason for my thin comment too).

If the tiger anger is only $500aud I would start looking at what sort of goretex, and how thick. I believe the klim quotes denier and g/m2 for comparisons sake. I am interested to hear what they have to say.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Ross, the klim is goretex too. However on the first post of the thread about it there is a statement that he has never seen it that thick (a big reason for my thin comment too).

If the tiger anger is only $500aud I would start looking at what sort of goretex, and how thick. I believe the klim quotes denier and g/m2 for comparisons sake. I am interested to hear what they have to say.
Klim also has that treatment for the impact zones which I believe is unique. It's probably fortunate that I have recent experience in the impact area so I have a focus

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #15
aussie_king_mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I have seen another Leatt compatible jacket, ie AXO Melbourne Enduro Jacket RRP $220...has anyone seen one or know what it is like?
aussie_king_mick is offline   Reply With Quote