News to me but here it is:

http://www.axo.com/Main/default/Prod....aspx?id=15100

Melbourne jacket
Comfortable lined shell jacket design.
Removable sleeves and upper neck.
Can be worn with a neck brace.
Weather resistant construction.
Multiple pockets placed on jacket.

Note "weather resistant" construction, not claiming it's waterproof.

Looks very well priced, not keen on removeable sleeves & looks like it's made from nylon, wonder what it's abrasion resistant properties are?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
BigM
Hello :-)

Oddometer: 766
Not much info on that AXO jacket, does not mention padding or anything similar - at $120 thats too be expected, I guess its just to slip over all your other gear.

Rossco i'm going to try on the KTM Rallye Jacket tomorrow so I will give it a good test of the buttons and zips and stuff see if it looks decent, cause this is a new model, most comments have been about previous.

Got my pressure suit and neckbrace by the front door to take with me to test fit etc.

I will ask for 'a well made one' and report back when it arrives.
Leo Vince X3 Pipe, Scotts Steering Dampner, Woody's Rear Wheel + Cush Hub, Race Tech Gold Suspension, 18L Tank, Bark busters, Trail Tech SCMR16 HID Helmet Mount, Comfort Seat, Bark Busters, Stealth Sproket, Trail Tech X2, Michelin Desert

Cedo Nulli
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #18
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM
Not much info on that AXO jacket, does not mention padding or anything similar - at $120 thats too be expected, I guess its just to slip over all your other gear.

Rossco i'm going to try on the KTM Rallye Jacket tomorrow so I will give it a good test of the buttons and zips and stuff see if it looks decent, cause this is a new model, most comments have been about previous.

Got my pressure suit and neckbrace by the front door to take with me to test fit etc.

I will ask for 'a well made one' and report back when it arrives.
How much does the KTM jacket retail for?

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #19
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
Can't the Leatt be worn over a jacket? It's probably not ideal, especially if you have the non-adjustable Leatt.

I've been contemplating a neck brace (either Leatt or Omega) for some time now, but this very issue of a lack of compatible high quality jackets has put off the purchase for me. I'm considering ordering a brace and just wearing it over my jacket (Firstgear Jaunt) which may require me to remove the shoulder pads from the jacket.
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
Can't the Leatt be worn over a jacket? It's probably not ideal, especially if you have the non-adjustable Leatt.

I've been contemplating a neck brace (either Leatt or Omega) for some time now, but this very issue of a lack of compatible high quality jackets has put off the purchase for me. I'm considering ordering a brace and just wearing it over my jacket (Firstgear Jaunt) which may require me to remove the shoulder pads from the jacket.
It doesn't work for me at all. When it's sitting right I don't know it's there, when sitting on top of the jacket I cannot look around.

Even Leatt say that it should be worn as close to the skin as possible

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
It doesn't work for me at all. When it's sitting right I don't know it's there, when sitting on top of the jacket I cannot look around.

Even Leatt say that it should be worn as close to the skin as possible
Same here, it sits about an inch or so above my shoulders, restricts head movement a little. I'm seriously considering selling the brace & buying a decent, waterproof jacket that will stand up to a crash on the trails. The only other option is to buy a last years KTM Rally jacket as they're discounted at present.

Anyone know what the main differences ase between the old & current KTM jackets apart from colour & styling?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
Same here, it sits about an inch or so above my shoulders, restricts head movement a little. I'm seriously considering selling the brace & buying a decent, waterproof jacket that will stand up to a crash on the trails. The only other option is to buy a last years KTM Rally jacket as they're discounted at present.

Anyone know what the main differences ase between the old & current KTM jackets apart from colour & styling?
I had a big crash a couple of weekends ago. I was wearing the brace. I ended up with a sore neck, similar to a whiplash type injury but on the side that hit the ground. The helmet has a big gouge down the same side.

I'll pay wherever i need to pay to have a decent jacket that will allow me to wear the brace comfortably.

I'm not sure of the differences, i'm more concerned about the reports of questionable quality.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,202
What are the quality issues you have in mind?

A mate has last years jacket, his only complaint is that it's not waterproof. The outer layer looks like it would stand up to a crash?

Now that I've discounted the Blais jacket, I'm undecided between buying the KTM jacket & being able to wear the brace or forgetting about the brace & buying the previous version of the Klim Valdez which is waterproof and can withstand a crash & is still available on US Ebay for US$210 + shipping.

Got a friend in the US soon who can bring one back, need to decide very soon.......
Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
What are the quality issues you have in mind?

A mate has last years jacket, his only complaint is that it's not waterproof. The outer layer looks like it would stand up to a crash?

Now that I've discounted the Blais jacket, I'm undecided between buying the KTM jacket & being able to wear the brace or forgetting about the brace & buying the previous version of the Klim Valdez which is waterproof and can withstand a crash & is still available on US Ebay for US$210 + shipping.

Got a friend in the US soon who can bring one back, need to decide very soon.......
There was someone locally who bought one and the vent zip lasted one ride. I don't believe that this is an isolated incident.

I dislike paying about $350 for a jacket that is poorly made.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
BigM

Quote:
There was someone locally who bought one and the vent zip lasted one ride. I don't believe that this is an isolated incident.

I dislike paying about $350 for a jacket that is poorly made.
You will be OK then.. because its $429 at the local shop, no need to pay $350 for it.
You will be also pleased.. I tried on an XXL and wanted to try an XXXL (arms and waist two short, but width was fine) I asked the shop if they can do better, and they said $450.... I pointed out its not actually better but worse, and was told the price was going up in Aust, and $450 was a better price... my indignant look changed the price back to $429 for a XXXL

So apparently the best they can do is more expensive than the price on the sticker - or equal too it.

I have ordered one from KTM Team West (Sommer) in Germany - fuck that for a joke, sick of local dealers trying to screw people over. If they got even remotely close to the price, hell $350 would have been OK, I would have bought it.

I tried it on with my armour and neck brace and combinations either way, it was a good fit and seemed to be of decent construction, though lighter than I imagined.
I think >$400 is too much for the jacket (you are paying a lot for that collar and a KTM logo too I guess).
But for $300 I think it is worth it. I will report back when it arrives, I have asked for a well constructed version, written in both Engrish and German.

oh yeah I have some water proofing spray (bought for some shoes) so if we ever see rain I can spray it before going out.
Leo Vince X3 Pipe, Scotts Steering Dampner, Woody's Rear Wheel + Cush Hub, Race Tech Gold Suspension, 18L Tank, Bark busters, Trail Tech SCMR16 HID Helmet Mount, Comfort Seat, Bark Busters, Stealth Sproket, Trail Tech X2, Michelin Desert

Cedo Nulli

BigM screwed with this post 04-29-2010 at 11:11 PM
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #26
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
The Adventure Leatt CAN be worn over a jacket (sez so inna book). There's a bit of messing around to get the back strut right and swapping around the spacers, plus there's a bit of interferance with a road helmet when looking left and right or going down stairs, but with an off-road helmet it's fine.
The Adventure is also made of a different material that can be wiped down with a damp sponge and doesn't soak up sweat and blood the way the fabric-covered ones do.
The Adv is also cheaper - and it's obvious why, the fabric covers on my wife & daughter's Leatts all fit better than the plastic-coated ones on mine.
Steve
Old 04-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #27
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM
You will be OK then.. because its $429 at the local shop, no need to pay $350 for it.
You will be also pleased.. I tried on an XXL and wanted to try an XXXL (arms and waist two short, but width was fine) I asked the shop if they can do better, and they said $450.... I pointed out its not actually better but worse, and was told the price was going up in Aust, and $450 was a better price... my indignant look changed the price back to $429 for a XXXL

So apparently the best they can do is more expensive than the price on the sticker - or equal too it.

I have ordered one from KTM Team West (Sommer) in Germany - fuck that for a joke, sick of local dealers trying to screw people over. If they got even remotely close to the price, hell $350 would have been OK, I would have bought it.

I tried it on with my armour and neck brace and combinations either way, it was a good fit and seemed to be of decent construction, though lighter than I imagined.
I think >$400 is too much for the jacket (you are paying a lot for that collar and a KTM logo too I guess).
But for $300 I think it is worth it. I will report back when it arrives, I have asked for a well constructed version, written in both Engrish and German.

oh yeah I have some water proofing spray (bought for some shoes) so if we ever see rain I can spray it before going out.
I'll look forward to your review, it's great not having to be the crash test dummy myself. That being saidm could you throw yourself from the moving bike to test the abrasion resistance

Quote:
The Adventure Leatt CAN be worn over a jacket (sez so inna book). There's a bit of messing around to get the back strut right and swapping around the spacers, plus there's a bit of interferance with a road helmet when looking left and right or going down stairs, but with an off-road helmet it's fine.
The Adventure is also made of a different material that can be wiped down with a damp sponge and doesn't soak up sweat and blood the way the fabric-covered ones do.
The Adv is also cheaper - and it's obvious why, the fabric covers on my wife & daughter's Leatts all fit better than the plastic-coated ones on mine.
Steve
Trouble is when you use a pressure suit too it pushes it up both front and back. I wonder whu its not ok for the upmarket versions and is ok for the ADV version?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #28
BigM

Quote:
I'll look forward to your review, it's great not having to be the crash test dummy myself. That being saidm could you throw yourself from the moving bike to test the abrasion resistance
There is another thread around where the guy is making his own adv pants - just for kicks, hes going to throw a dummy out the sunroof of his car for the test. :)

My bike is still awaiting parts, so it will be a few weeks before its running again, which should line up with when my jacket gets here, not planning to post any crash reports however ;)

Cedo Nulli
Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #29
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Motoport has some jackets with a Leatt collar option

http://www.motoport.com/_catalog/Kevlar_Products

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
BigM

Tried my new jacket out on the weekend, road for about 6 hours, all offroad, got it nicely roughed up, nothing major.

2 front zips (nothing important) don't zip up correctly now, might be fixable, but they are more shagged than functioning. So 2 fucked first ride. Pretty dam poor. But not earth shattering.

I will add silicon spray to the other zips to make them easier to use as well.

Cedo Nulli