Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #31
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Hi,

I'm having difficulty sourcing a decent adventure jacket that's Leatt compatible. I burnt my Sinisalo adventure jacket because I took it off to wear the Leatt on the trails, lashing wasn't quite good enough.

I then bought a Troy Lee Blais jacket which lasted one ride when I came down heavy on the dirt and shredded it. It was ok fitting but obviously not tough enough and not waterproof as advertised either.
I just got the Blais jacket and can confirm your conclusions. I'm also in the market for a Leatt-compatible jacket and find the Blais-jacket neither waterproof nor particularly crash-resilient. Nice design, excellent fit and good functionality for warm weather enduro and offroad riding etc, but....

a) It's made of the thinnest, most lighweight cordura I've yet experienced and cannot be expected to survive even lighter falls. It WILL get shredded and punctured with such thin fabric. Don't be fooled by those nice stiches and protection zones. This jacket is made of lightweight materials - which is fine for warm klimate and/or physically challenging enduro riding. Nice enduro jacket, but with a limited scope.

b) My jacket simply leaked in the arm zips and front drink tube hole after some heavy showers and less than half an hour of rain and made me think twice about leaving home without a backup second waterproof layer. This is most definitely not an all-weather jacket.

c) It also let in noticeably quantities of draught through a gap between the zip-on non-Leatt collar and the main jacket. This is nice on a sweaty, warm weather ride, but not a bonus in colder weather up in the mountains etc. This is caused by a peculiar gap caused by the collar-to-jacket zipper not closing fully in front - leaving a "ventilation" gap in front that ultimately also will let through water in torrential rain. A strange omission that becomes uncomfortable in colder climates and leaves the rider gradually getting chilled on transport stretches.

The Blais jacket is a well-designed, not waterproof summer-jacket for non- to light-precipitation rides, but its lighweight cordura won't stand up to multiple spills. The protection zones on shoulders and elbows could well do with some kevlar protection etc. instead of the symbolical extra cordura layer and nice stitchwork. I'm therefore in the market for a Klim Rallye Adventure suit - despite its price tag - since it's the one and only waterproofed Leatt-compatible jacket on the market now. I've also considered KTM, AXO, Acerbis and Kenny Leatt-compatible jackets, but like the Blais jacket they all have obvious limitations and compromises.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 05-29-2010 at 04:21 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #32
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
Let's keep this thread going. I bought a Leatt Club brace last week. I like it very much, but as both Rosscoact and Possu pointed out, it really doesn't sit well atop a jacket, at least not for me either. I wore it over my tee shirt and then put on my back/chest protector vest and then my riding jacket, and it felt best this way even though I couldn't fully zip up the chest/back protector or jacket. I think I'm going to try to find a tailor or seamstress to cut my current jacket. I'd like to try the Blais but its crashworthiness seems questionable and I don't want to drop $250 on another jacket. I'd rather spend $50 to have a tailor have a go at my current jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
It doesn't work for me at all. When it's sitting right I don't know it's there, when sitting on top of the jacket I cannot look around.

Even Leatt say that it should be worn as close to the skin as possible
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #33
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 871
Leatt + Motoport

It is a great combo. I've used just the armor in the jacket and removed the armor and ridden with a pressure suit. I've crashed on it hard (including one 60+ mph crash) and the jacket washes up and looks new. It is amazing and worth the spend. It's perhaps not the coolest looking jacket (eye beholder stuff) but functionally it's good.

Here is a link to a ton of pics and some more details of my crash. The Leatt saved my bacon without any doubt in my mind. My jacket has the cut out for the leatt.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575061
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #34
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Which Motoport jacket were you wearing that is compatible with the Leatt brace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo
It is a great combo. I've used just the armor in the jacket and removed the armor and ridden with a pressure suit. I've crashed on it hard (including one 60+ mph crash) and the jacket washes up and looks new. It is amazing and worth the spend. It's perhaps not the coolest looking jacket (eye beholder stuff) but functionally it's good.

Here is a link to a ton of pics and some more details of my crash. The Leatt saved my bacon without any doubt in my mind. My jacket has the cut out for the leatt.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575061
Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #35
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 871
Ultra Kev Mesh II with leatt option

http://motoport.worldsecuresystems.com/leattneckbrace
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #36
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Thumb

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #37
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Just got my KTM ( Leatt in KTM colours ) Moto GPX neck brace and have started the getting-used-to-the-darn-thing process. After some initial fumbling around I finally got it adjusted for my shoulders and have done some riding the last days. I managed to fit the brace under my body armour ( "Dainese Wave V 1-2-3 Neck" - with the neck pad removed ), making it comfortably tight to my neck/shoulders and fitting well under the Klim Adventure suit jacket.

First:
I wouldn't feel comfortable in an urban environment with the Leatt Brace. That's using my Schuberth C2 road helmet, which touches the brace on both sides, not allowing sideways head tilting at all. It's actually an odd and uncomfortable feeling sitting in intersections or waiting to enter a roundabout. It feels like using an astronaut suit limiting head movement. In urban traffic free head movement and good peripheral vison is mandatory and safety-related. That's not a problem once I've left that cluttered city traffic behind, though.

This apparently works better with an offroad helmet, so I may finally have to buy one to check that for a fact. Since I use prescription spectacles I prefer the C2 for more than 90% of my riding - very much because of the practical flip-open front and excellent inbuilt tinted visor - which I need constantly because of certain tunnels where I ride. That flip-up/down sunvisor is truly useful and no offroad dual-sport helmet has such feature yet - to my knowledge.

Second:
The Klim Adv jacket has two enclosed collars - one for Leatt usage and one for conventional non-Leatt usage. These good-weather early autumn days I ride comfortably without any of these collars attached, but can confirm that the waterproof Leatt collar works very well - but certainly takes some getting used to. I guess more volume-riding hours is appropriate, allowing this geardo to adapt more and simply get used to it.

Third:
Despite their better adjustability range versus the Adventure brace - the Moto GPX or Club braces can hardly be described as a generic "fits all" design by default. I've got slim shoulders and used the smallest adjusting pins on the sides, but even then the brace would feel elevated and not rest on the shoulders as described in the user manual when I sat on the bike. I adjusted the rear thoracic member closer and finally it fit OK. Still feels awkward and cumbersome this first week. That feeling may improve over time as all new concepts. I'm a patient adv-rider, but not all people are like me.

My personal conclusion:
Cons: The Leatt brace is definitely not for everybody, IMHO. It may catch on many helmets, depending on user anatomy and neck length.
If you race a lot, maybe it'll perform and function as expected - but most probably not if your primary riding is public roads where constant free head movement and vision field is more important. Your mileage may of course vary.
Pro's: It's mandatory on many races and rallies and has proven its worth on the competition arena.

My advice:
If you got a short neck - try before buying. This thing may catch on your helmet, make you feel stiff and uncomfortable in traffic and you better sort that out first. I'm committed to adapt anyway since I do most of my riding on public roads and want the extra safety.

But most of all some other manufacture company need to provide a waterproofing collar for Leatt usage. Right now the only such waterproof collar is provided on the Klim Adventure suit. I can confirm the KTM/Leatt brace works very well in combination with the Klim Adventure jacket. - My critical reservations are more related to the non-universal comfort ability of the Leatt brace concept as such on public roads - demanding sideways head tilting and peripheral vision.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 09-04-2010 at 11:52 AM
Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #38
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Update: Finally found a workable solution for my Leatt woes. The Jofama "Tribal" safety jacket fit comfortably under the Klim Adventure Jacket and lowered the KTM/Leatt GPX brace sufficiently for my comfort. The Dainese Wave jacket simply was too bulky and would lift the brace too close to the helmet collar.

http://www.jofama.se/motorcycle_wear...4&id=51&cid=10

Tried this combo in pouring rain during a 2 hour test ride and the waterproof Leatt -compatible collar is excellent and well functioning - keeping me dry and warm. I use it in combination with a Gore-tex balaclava from Bikers Comfort.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #39
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Update from Leatt:
- Leatt GPX Adventure Jacket

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php...-gpx-adventure

- Water resistant & breathable with removable and adjustable sleeves
- PU Coated water resistant Nylon construction.
- Pockets for protection in shoulders & elbow
- Multiple front pockets
- Large bottom back pocket for liner
- Full ventilation in front, back & sleeves
- Window Pocket on sleeve
- Spandex stretch in sleeves & body
- Colour: Black, Blue, Red

Leatt Chest Protector

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php...-protector-pro

27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" >

- CE approved EN 14021 front and EN 1621-2 level 2 highest CE approval
- back protector using SaS-TeC development on Adventure Pro
- Close fitting allows for over or under the jersey use
- Made of extremely tough HDPE and washable Biofoam
- Front and rear removable plates allow brace to fit close to body, as it should
- Adjustable arm and chest straps for great fit
- Removable shoulder and upper arm guards
- Fits riders from approx. 50-100kg
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #40
meteorite
MoreDust

Oddometer: 21
Huh

Lets not forget the primary purpose of a jacket. If you want it to look good after a crash, buy a jacket for your jacket. It really is the skin under the jacket that matters, not true? The rest (looks and what's left of it after a crash) is a bonus. I like my Blais jacket and it had saved me lots of skin so far.
"Some of you will give up. Some of you will even try to run. I warn you, until now no one succeeded. When the Legion doesn't get you, the Arabs will. When the Arabs won't catch you, the desert will. And when the desert doesn't devour your measly corpses, then I will. I wouldn't know what's worse".
Major Foster "March or Die"
meteorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #41
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 88
I too needed a jacket to wear over the body armor and neck brace. This is worth the price so far, not crash or rain tested. It has a couple of back vents, the sleeves can be zipped off or just opened a ways under the arms, and the cuffs can be opened large to let air flow up your arms.
2009 MSR Trans Jak

This jack is designed to fit over body armor, and it does.
Got a good closeout deal ($67.97) at Atomic-Moto.MSR Trans Jak

Yours truly sporting a RockGarden Flak Jacket and Leatt neck brace under the jacket.

The RockGarden Flak Jacket has a back protector that would make a Stegasaurus jealous.
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #42
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway

Update from Leatt:

- Leatt GPX Adventure Jacket

- Leatt Chest Protector
Still no word on the price or either of these.

I am interested in Both a Adv brace and the ADV chest protector.
Think I will get a Leatt brace modded Motoport kevlar jacket and make a nice set of it.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #43
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
Still no word on the price or either of these.

I am interested in Both a Adv brace and the ADV chest protector.
Think I will get a Leatt brace modded Motoport kevlar jacket and make a nice set of it.
Hello Mpanther.

I just checked this yesterday with Leatt USA. The jacket will be $199 and will be available in January. The chestpro is supposed to arrive next week.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 58
Reviving this thread I see that there are a number of options out there for Jackets that work with the Leatt. I'd like to know what all is out there before I buy either (I'm looking for a Leatt to try on as well). Maybe something like a list with price and a few notes to make this easier? I'll start.

Leatt GPX $195 US, made by the same folks so it should work. Water resistant only.
Leatt GPX Pro, $495 US, claims fully waterproof (love to hear from someone that has this one)
Acerbis Desertika, $225 US
Troy Lee Designs Blais, $200 US - lightweight, with review above claiming it fell apart on a fall.
Scott 350 - $220

and...
Klim Adventure Rally, $1299 (seriously?) Top of the line so they claim, completely water proof.

Others? Things to say about the above?
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider

Hayate screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 02:50 PM
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #45
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,140
axo leatt jacket sale

anyone after a leatt jacket

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/3AJKXN2ST