Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
Riverguide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
extended warranty recommended for triumph ST3R?

Hi all - for those of you with experience with Triumph street triples, I have a question: do you think buying an extended warranty on a 2014 is a good idea, or a waste of money? Ordinarily I do not bother with these add-ons, as I have found (and heard) that they are more often than not a cash grab. I previously owned a honda sport bike which ran flawlessly, and bought a 2014 ST3R back in the summer and still have the option to buy 4 more years of warranty coverage from the dealer beyond the 2 yr manufacturer's warranty. I have had two issues already with the bike: a dead battery in the first 2 weeks, and a recurring ABS sensor/check engine problem that the dealer will be rectifying under warranty. These issues have led me to consider buying the warranty, but before I part with any more money ($1400 CDN btw for 4 yrs) I wanted to ask those of you with triumph experience what you think. My intention is to keep the bike at least five years.

As an aside, the more I ride the bike, the more I love it.
Riverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
take the $1,400 (just under $1300, USD) and save it, or bank it monthly as if you were paying for the warranty if financing. after four years you'll most likely have $1,400 in the bank if you pay for any "repair" out of pocket that would not have been covered "under warranty" (because not all things are covered), or you can use it as a little "general repair fund" and even an occasional preventive maintenance fund to avoid costly repairs

but either way you'll end up way ahead imo. unless you are riding the bike 20,000 miles a year, or something. but pretty sure those extended warranties are limited, so i say save the money (really save it) and if something "comes up," fix it. that way you can avoid any disputes, too. such as the company saying "well you did not bleed your brakes on time so the calipers aren't covered," and crap like that
Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Riverguide OP
Adventurer

thanks Dudeclone - sounds like very sensible advice.

cheers
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
If I recall correctly, the ABS sensor on the rear wheel can be finicky, if this is the case, once that gets adjusted properly there shouldn't be any issues. There are a few threads on the Triumph RAT Street Triple sub forum in this regard. I have a 14 STR and it has been maintenance free since March. Great bike, enjoy!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Extended warranties are a profit center for vehicle dealers and vary tremendously in their actual value.

If the warranty is backed by the manufacturer as opposed to the dealer or a third party underwriter it will usually be more inclusive as to what is and isn't covered and will specify OEM parts for any repairs. Some third party plans have too many exclusions and usually specify aftermarket or even used wrecking yard parts.

1400 will probably cover a minor repair or two if your not doing the labor yourself, more if you are, but anything major will exhaust that fund pretty quickly.

Generally the more reliable and cheaper to fix a product is the less you need an extended warranty. In the automotive sphere it's usually safe to skip the extended warranty on Toyotas, Hondas, etc, not so safe with Mini, BMW, Mercedes.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,447
And 3rd party aftermarket warranties are counted as insurance policies and are not covered under the Magnuson/Moss federal warranty act that governs factory warranties. They can also make you jump through hoops to keep the warranty in force.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I have an '09 standard Street Triple with 91k on it. I haven't had any major issues that would have left me wishing I had bought an extended warranty. If you check on the Street Triple forums, you'll get an idea of what issues tend to arise. Most of which are either minor, are covered within the basic warranty period or have been recalled. The main one being the regulator/rectifier.

Great bike choice by the way

VixObs screwed with this post 11-25-2014 at 01:07 PM
VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
I am so glad that in Norway we have strong consumer rights. Dosent matter if the factory warrent dosent last more then a year. We have basicly warrenty for five years by Norwegian law.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #9
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
This might be your answer..

Our new neighbor who owns a extended warranty company just built the largest home in our subdivision.7000 square feet and he paid cash

I own a 2010 STR and so far it has been bulletproof.. Save your money..
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Riverguide OP
Adventurer

warranty question

Hi and thanks for all the responses. It assuring to hear from those of you with more miles on your odo than me, especially with triumphs. Seems the consensus is don't go for the extended warranty. I'll save the money for a new lid next spring, as I hunker down for what I hope will be a shorter winter than last year.