User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Honda Rebel 250 Adv Bike

So I've documented my Honda Rebel adventure bike scrambler build on another forum but this place seems to fit my tastes better. I'm going to copy-paste my posts from the other place to here:

I'm planning to buy a Rebel to play with. The plan is a bobber style that I can ride on the street to some dirt roads/trails, hit the trails a little, then ride home. I don't want a dual sport - I just want a cruiser than can go off-road a little.

The look of dirt bike knobbies is sweet on a bobber in my opinion. So what are my options for something that will fit on the Rebel wheels?
Thanks

Lof8 screwed with this post 01-20-2015 at 05:07 AM
Lof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

Old 01-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

Well, here is my starting point. The previous owner did some goofy black spray painting on the engine and wheels with no prep work or care, so its not great cosmetically, but it runs very well. It's a 2000 with 12,000 miles. Snagged it for $750! It came with a very new Kenda Cruiser rear tire. I just ordered the Shinko 244 dual sport for the front. Some used Renthal motocross bars are in the near future. Should be fun! Its kind of a goal to get this thing sitting how I want for under $1k total.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

New front tire came in the mail today and here's the approximate location of where the rear fender will end up. I have some Renthal atv bars on the way that I think are going to make for a nice riding position. I took her for a ride the other day and was amazed at how smoothely she ran! Still feels high quality!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

A few pics from today's work.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

Makin progress

Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

Well I made some more progress today. Would've had the rear fender and lights buttoned up and the bike back on the ground if I had known I needed a different flasher to make the aftermarket lights work. I should have done some more research first. oh well.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

One of my few complaints about the rebel is how wide and bulky the gas tank looks. I was looking for a good tank to swap on when I realized I could just beat the stock tank with a nylon hammer. I think it turned out decent, just needs a coat of paint.

It was surprisingly easy to control the shape of the dish and make it symmetrical. It also let me "hide" the dent that the tank had on the left side. And the Harbor Freight hammer was only $10.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

I originally thought I wanted primer gray on the tins but that wasn't working as well as I had hoped. So now it's flat black with gloss black trim. Now I'm waiting on a new seat since I cut the old one down too much. I've also got some Emgo mufflers on the way. She's getting close!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

I got the shorty mufflers on. Sounds a lot better than straight pipes.

I've got a couple of buddies who are playing with bikes at the moment too. We're hoping to line up a road trip down to key west and back (nearly 800 mile round trip). We want to do it with tents and gear on the bikes and no hotels.

Originally Posted by rpgod2
I really like what you've done with your bike. Motorcycles are kind of a second love to me behind bicycles, and I find myself drawn to motorbikes with that on/off road look. The Renthal bars really help with that aesthetic. Looking forward to seeing where you take it from here!

Thanks! That is exactly my perspective as well. I grew up racing bmx bikes and rode dirt bikes for fun. I wanted to combine a bobber approach with a little bit of off-road capability. I'm really looking forward to getting on it and cruising around with no destination and exploring some dirt roads.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

Just for fun, heres some pics of a Sportster I did a few years ago. Even with lots of metal chopped off, it was still a very heavy and bulky bike. I didn't enjoy riding it as much as I hoped I would and sold it to my brother. I vowed to do it again with a lighter bike - the Rebel is that bike!

The e30 has been a project of mine for close to 6 years. Its primary uses are track days at Sebring and autocrosses. Its got an engine from a '95 M3 and lots of other goodies.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

I chopped the front fender down into a "fork brace". However it does nothing to keep water from spraying up in my face in rainy conditions -as one would assume! I got caught in some rain yesterday. Not so fun.

Letting my buddy do a lil dirt riding on the Rebel. The bike loves it but would be even happier with a dualsport 15" rear tire! Haven't found one yet.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #13
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

This weekend near Orlando, there was an event called "The Woodsman Cup". A dude who owns a good chunk of land grooms a pretty cool dirt track about 1/4 mile long. Its mostly flat with one small jump. The premise is that anyone can come race as long as your bike is not a real dirt bike. It makes for some fun action - there are classes from scooters and mopeds to full size crotch rockets. The rebel put me in the "twin" class based on the engine. I was up against some cafe style bikes and some other cruisers. It was a 10 lap race and I started back in the 2nd row, but I made a few passes and one guy went down in front of me for an easy overtake. I finished 1st and it was amazingly fun!!

Header wrap chewed up from from some of the rutted berms

Old 01-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

Here's a video from one of the Grom guy's helmet. It's not my class, but it gives a great view of the track. At the end of the video is a good view of all of the bikes that were there.

The Woodsman Cup Honda Grom Dirt Race Heat 2! - YouTube

So I've got some changes planned. I ordered some rebel 450 shocks to raise the rear a bit and give a little more suspension travel. They're about 1" longer than the 250 shocks which will translate into more than 1" of raised height. My plan is to cut the coil spring down until I find a nice balance between taller height and chain rub on the swing arm.

The 2nd change is going to be a rear rebel wheel hub re-laced with a larger rim. The hunt for a 15" dual sport tire has turned up nothing, so this change is in an effort to get a knobby tire on the back.

The next "Woodsman Cup" race is in March and I'm hoping to have the rebel even more prepared for this one!

The shocks came in and I bolted them on easy enough. Just had to swap the upper rubber grommets between the 250 and 450 shocks. I was pretty close to selling the rebel and picking up a nighthawk so as to have a little more suspension travel and slightly more upright riding position. At this point, I think the shocks have accomplished this.

I haven't yet had a good look at the chain position on the swing arm when my weight is on the bike, but I think its going to be pretty good. I may need to fine tune it a bit by cutting out a spring coil or so, but at this point I'm very happy!! Several of the pictures show the bike still suspended, so it's not a great representation of the stance. And I found a really cool motorcycle salvage yard near me called Randy's Cycles. There are lots and lots of cool old bikes to pick and pull from. The photo below is just a small part of the place.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
Lof8 OP
Adventurer

So heres where the chain sits with my weight on the bike. Theres a bit more rub on the swingarm than I'd like to see. I may cut some coil(s) but I'd prefer not to. Do you guys know where to source different sprockets for the rebel?

The new tire is here! It's a Bridgestone TW40 in 120/90-16, which is the oem Nighthawk tire size. I've also got a nighthawk wheel on the way. I'm hoping I can lace the nighthawk rim and spokes onto the Rebel hub fairly easily. I'll try to true it myself but may end up bringing it to a shop. Larger sprockets and a new chain are also on the way.

So the 450 shocks and dual sport rear tire is not quite as cheap an endeavour as I would have liked, but hopefully it turns out the way I'm picturing.