ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #1876
roadboxer
Adventurer
 
roadboxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 44
Clearwater Lights

Just curious, has anyone mounted any clearwater lights under the oil cooler on an 1100Rt? If so have pics?
roadboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #1877
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer
 
MotorcycleWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: N.Alabama, World's Rockiest Trails
Oddometer: 785
First Brake Bleeding Saga

Hey,

Been pretty active over in the Airheads group while doing a partial resto on an '89R100GS. Now that it's mostly sorted out I'm going to be riding it during the hot months while I go over my '02R1150RT. Mostly I want to bleed the ABS brakes since it hasn't been done in a few years. Probably wouldn't hurt to lube the splines as well, but first things first. The bike has 28K miles on the odo and hasn't shown me any problems during the 10K I've put on it over last few years. Can anyone here direct me to a good online procedure for doing the brakes? I've got the funnel from Beemer Boneyard that someone recommended and a couple of manuals, but I'd like to look at a FAQ or a DIY as well, if there's one out there. My mechanic skills are good and I'm not fearful of trying things, just short on time like the rest of you.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #1878
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Hey,

Been pretty active over in the Airheads group while doing a partial resto on an '89R100GS. Now that it's mostly sorted out I'm going to be riding it during the hot months while I go over my '02R1150RT. Mostly I want to bleed the ABS brakes since it hasn't been done in a few years. Probably wouldn't hurt to lube the splines as well, but first things first. The bike has 28K miles on the odo and hasn't shown me any problems during the 10K I've put on it over last few years. Can anyone here direct me to a good online procedure for doing the brakes? I've got the funnel from Beemer Boneyard that someone recommended and a couple of manuals, but I'd like to look at a FAQ or a DIY as well, if there's one out there. My mechanic skills are good and I'm not fearful of trying things, just short on time like the rest of you.
Try this: http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #1879
Cameleer
Worldcrzer
 
Cameleer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, UAE and for now, Italy
Oddometer: 69
Hi to all, I installed auxiliary rear view mirrors on my '01 1150RT (mounted on the unused holes on the handlebar) but now they vibrate like crazy, especially the left one. Any ideas on how to dampen the vibration? (rubber or something?) thanks
__________________
"People don't change... they just get older"
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #1880
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer
 
cpallen's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Hi to all, I installed auxiliary rear view mirrors on my '01 1150RT (mounted on the unused holes on the handlebar) but now they vibrate like crazy, especially the left one. Any ideas on how to dampen the vibration? (rubber or something?) thanks
Sync the throttle bodies?
__________________
Courtney in Seattle
'13 BMW F800GT, '07 G650X Challenge
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #1881
Cameleer
Worldcrzer
 
Cameleer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, UAE and for now, Italy
Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
Sync the throttle bodies?

I feel really ignorant... How do I do that??
__________________
"People don't change... they just get older"
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #1882
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
I feel really ignorant... How do I do that??
It's probably best that you let the dealer make that adjustment for you.

Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #1883
Cameleer
Worldcrzer
 
Cameleer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, UAE and for now, Italy
Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
It's probably best that you let the dealer make that adjustment for you.

Paul

I definitely will check with them on the next service, thanks Paul
__________________
"People don't change... they just get older"
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #1884
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer
 
MotorcycleWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: N.Alabama, World's Rockiest Trails
Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Hi to all, I installed auxiliary rear view mirrors on my '01 1150RT (mounted on the unused holes on the handlebar) but now they vibrate like crazy, especially the left one. Any ideas on how to dampen the vibration? (rubber or something?) thanks
Does the vibration vary with engine speed, sort of changing in magnitude with engine rpm, or does it start about 40 mph and get progressively worse as your speed increases? If it is the former, the engine may be out of tune. If the latter, there may be vortices detaching from the complex windshield/fairing shape and hitting the mirrors. That will be a lot tougher to fix without changing the geometry of the front end.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #1885
catchina
138 miles to go...
 
catchina's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Oddometer: 459
Heard a rumor that BMW is about to recall all 2014 r1200rt with ESA and warning owners not to ride!
__________________
2011 R1200R
1996 Virago XV 750
catchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #1886
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah
 
bradatlarge's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 12,170
Not a rumor.
__________________
You have been warned.
bradatlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #1887
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchina View Post
Heard a rumor that BMW is about to recall all 2014 r1200rt with ESA and warning owners not to ride!
That's ancient history now with speed of the interweb at our finger tips..

Take a look here:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...514-BMWrecall/

Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #1888
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home
 
dmottv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NH Seacoast
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Hi to all, I installed auxiliary rear view mirrors on my '01 1150RT (mounted on the unused holes on the handlebar) but now they vibrate like crazy, especially the left one. Any ideas on how to dampen the vibration? (rubber or something?) thanks
I added K12RS mirrors on mine and vibration is only an issue over 70 +/-. I have bar ends that help dampen vibes.
__________________
Dave - NH Seacoast; RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'07 KLR650; '02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '00 KDX200;
Gone: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #1889
Mirider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 19
I have mirrors that I got from the Beemer Boneyard and have had no issues up to 80mph on my 96 1100rt. I also have bar ends.
Mirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #1890
Cameleer
Worldcrzer
 
Cameleer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, UAE and for now, Italy
Oddometer: 69
Also have bar ends, vibration is irrespective of speed. Any thoughts on re-installing the mirrors with rubber dampers on the bases or something like that?
__________________
"People don't change... they just get older"
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014