Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #241
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge View Post
Next project. Paint that garage!

Why are you removing the airbox? You should be able to get at the slave from the rear of the bike - the Tech at Brown Motorworks did my GS-ADV without even removing the rear shock, shockingly.
I've got some oil leaks in the engine and trans so I'm doing everything at once since I don't know the history of this bike; spline lube, rear main seals, new clutch components, seals in the trans, and the slave cylinder.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #242
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
I've got some oil leaks in the engine and trans so I'm doing everything at once since I don't know the history of this bike; spline lube, rear main seals, new clutch components, seals in the trans, and the slave cylinder.
I end up doing things like that too. Well as long as I'm here I should attend to this little problem. It never stops.
Post plenty of pics. I just got an RT. I'm familiar with doing a lot of the work on a GS but I'd like to see where the RT differs.

Looks like a pretty fun weekend.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #243
Grumpy
Grumpy

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post
The RT is and AWESOME two up bike = she Loves it !

ENJOY your new RT

I will and I'm sure she will - will report back in a week or two after some ride's and post some pics
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #244
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
A little late but....

......at least I'm here now. I've read through all the posts and enjoyed the tech, mod, and general stuff thus far.

Here's my '02 RT in a somewhat dated photo:

I replaced the original front fender with one from a KRS. Same color, same mounting holes. I just find that it looks better than the chunk of plastic it came with. Aside from that it has a Migsel gadget mount for my XM radio (photo forthcoming), clear turn signal lenses, a Centech fuse panel under the seat (photo forthcoming), and a Cee Bailey's Euro shield in #2 tint. I usually run a CB dark tinted #4 style screen for short haul rides as it allows more air flow on hot days.

More later on the mods not depicted.

spanky screwed with this post 03-25-2011 at 07:22 PM
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #245
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,170
Quote:
Makes perfect sense.

Bon chance. Thats a big project, I envy your resolve.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #246
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

I can see the trans!

I got a late start today due to the cold and not feeling well. But I did make progress. The air box is out of the way, the exhaust is off, and so is the shock and the starter.

Todays pile of parts.

Was having trouble rotating the subframe up. Upon closer inspection, the allen head bolts had to come out and the hex nuts needed to be loosened. Then it would rotate. This is at the front of the subframe, just above and behind the front control arm. (Or whatever BMW's fancy name is for it.

Here's why the clutch is slipping. Nasty in there.

These are at the front of the airbox, one on each side, and were not readily visible. They are secured by black screws and blend in with the stuff around it.

This is the back of the airbox and it secures from the inside to the bracket that holds the top of the rear shock.

The starter and the shock removal is pretty straight forward. Here is todays progress.

fyrfytr screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 04:03 PM
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #247
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Getting ready for spring..

All fluids changed, brake flush today. Just waiting for an air filter and the feeler gauges for the valves to show up. New tires going on also, I'm considering the Pilot 3's. Hope to have her ready to go next weekend.

beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #248
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

My splines are good!!!

But I'm quite surprised that the motorcycle would move at all. Lots of oil contamination.

What a mess! I've got quite a bit of cleaning to do. I thought this was going to be a weekend project, but that's not looking likely. Got to send Max some more money, forget a part or two and found some other stuff to do. Hopefully next weekend it will go back together.

fyrfytr screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 01:42 PM
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #249
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Mine is back on the road today. Ended up getting the Pilot 2's and I'm happy with them. Much better than the cupped front Bridgestone and squared off rear Shinko the bike had on it!
I'm pleased with how easy the RT is to work on, this bike's a keeper.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #250
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post
Mine is back on the road today. Ended up getting the Pilot 2's and I'm happy with them. Much better than the cupped front Bridgestone and squared off rear Shinko the bike had on it!
I'm pleased with how easy the RT is to work on, this bike's a keeper.
I'm hoping mine will be done some time this week. Had to order some more parts. Because of a mix-up at the dealer, they didn't get here until Friday. I should be able to get back to work on it tomorrow.

I've been wanting to try the PR3's, but no one has the size I need. Keep us informed of how the PR2's work over the long haul, I might go for them this time. The PR1's I have now have nearly 10,000 miles on them, but they are badly cupped.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #251
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Quote:

The starter and the shock removal is pretty straight forward. Here is todays progress.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #252
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Quote:
I've been wanting to try the PR3's, but no one has the size I need.
I tried to buy some PR3's today....no joy.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #253
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

The trans is back in today. I only took a handful of pictures today, still have to upload them. Changed the rear main seals. (why are there two?) Basically you drill a small hole in the seal, thread a sheet metal screw into it and pull it out with a slide hammer. Then slide the new seals onto a well oiled soda can, cut the end off the can and slide it over the end of the crank.

I hope the clutch guts are lined up okay. Supposed to be offfset 120 degrees by the white marks. I could get maybe 90, 90, and 180. :fingerscrossed.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #254
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

It's starting to look like a motorcycle again. Your going to have to take my word for it though. I just wanted to get stuff done, so no pictures today. Slave cylinder in and bled, air box back in. What a PITA, everything has to be routed just so. Starter back in, drive shaft in, swing arm and shock in.

Also ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Competition Accesories didn't expect the 3's until the end of the month. Also got Dyna Beads on the way.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #255
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
for the past month or so(since the bad weather has broke) I've been commuting to work on it. I've managed to put about 5k miles on it since around Thanksgiving. Now that the weather is getting good I imagine the miles will really start piling on. I turned over 25k today and for some odd reason it tickled me just a little. If I keep commuting on it this summer then I imagine it will have somewhere around 35k by the time it cools off this fall/winter.

leeinmemphis screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 05:52 PM
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote