Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #271
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,416
Been trying to help my dad find a tank bag for his RT, the BMW one is silly expensive. Thoughts on alternatives? It appears the plastic tank and subsequent mounting issues are the main problems in finding a suitable solution.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #272
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Been trying to help my dad find a tank bag for his RT, the BMW one is silly expensive. Thoughts on alternatives? It appears the plastic tank and subsequent mounting issues are the main problems in finding a suitable solution.
I picked up a used touratech version from e bay. I prefer it much more to the bmw one as its smaller but carries enough for me. Not sure of the exact model I'll have to check. Fitting is very simple but not as neat as the beemer one.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #273
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,490
A few more questions for you beemer types:
1. Is there anywhere on the web where I can download an owner's manual for the 2007 RT? Just like to review it a bit before i pick the bike up in a few days.
2. Setting up the suspension: This bike will not have ESA. I suspect there are not adjustments up front, but the rear has pre-load. Do you adjust rear sag on a BMW like you do on any other bike?
Thanks again,
Skitch
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #274
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.
Oh yeah and I forgot to say - Thanks for serving.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #275
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
Oh yeah and I forgot to say - Thanks for serving.
Thanks. 20+ years and counting.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #276
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
first breakdown

A coule of weeks ago I had my first ever mechanical breakdown on a BMW after more than 15 years and several boxer models.
Aproaching a bend the bike died. All electricals seemed ok, bike turned over ok but no firing at all and no warning lights other than is normal with the ignition on and engine not running. I guessed that it could be the fuel pump contoller, I don't know why I guessed this I just did. Took the left side fairing off and it wasn't the best looking controller for sure, some corrosion on the outside. Not necassarily an indication of unserviceability I know. I was very lucky from here on in to get back on the road. 1. I was riding with a friend. 2. the BMW garage was only 18 KM away. 3. they were open and 4. they had a new contoller in stock.

My hunch turned out to be correct and we were back on the road with an hour and a half!
After doing some reading on what seems to be a well known fault I want to pass on the link to another thread about this and the very simple idea of a jumper cable to over come this problem if it happens again. I am going to make one and recommend others think about doing this and stashing it somewhere on the bike. It really is well worth taking the time to look at this. Breaking down really is no fun.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2768376
Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #277
kevlar930
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
First off, I want to say damn you guys. You have ruined me!

Seriously, I did a fly & ride on a '98 R1100RT two weeks go. I like this bike so much that the K1200S is feeling very neglected. This bike has exceeded my expectations (with the exception of power, but I expected that coming from the modded K bike).

Here are two questions that I have:

First, the PO had the bike serviced by BMW before I picked it up. Knowing this, I jumped on the bike and rode about 1,100 miles before checking the oil level (I am expecting an asschewing from you guys and, trust me, I am feel like a complete moron for waiting so long to check the oil). The oil is overfilled. I'm not certain how overfilled it is, but the whole sightglass shows the oil. First, how much damage did I potentially do riding this bike overfilled, and two, how can I remove some oil without pulling the plug?

Second, I have read the sightglasses on these bikes are prone to blowing. The reason I purchased this bike was to ride it to Alaska in June. The PO said the sightglass has never been replaced. There is currently no oil seepage around the sightglass and he bike now has ~31,000 miles. How often should the sightglass be changed?

Thanks in advance for the help.
kevlar930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #278
Mariner55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
new -RT, CONGRATS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm View Post
The brakes are amazing. Never thought poorly of the V-strom brakes but these are much better. Took our first two-up ride today. Sweet.
I'm thinking about a new RT and it would be great to hear your feedback on your new ride. Thank, John
Mariner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #279
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930 View Post
the whole sightglass shows the oil. First, how much damage did I potentially do riding this bike overfilled, and two, how can I remove some oil without pulling the plug?
Checking the oil on Oilheads can be a bit inconsistent - how did you check? BMW says to warm up to operating temp (by riding, not idling), put it on the center stand, then wait 10 minutes and check the sight glass.

Sometimes, though, the oil doesn't drain from the oil cooler properly with that method, which can lead someone to overfill by a bit. Some will tell you to ride to warm up, let it sit on the -sidestand- for 10-15 minutes and then put it up on the center stand to get a more accurate reading through the site glass. Seems to work for me.

Unless it was really overfilled by a lot, there shouldn't be any negative effects (the crankshaft sits pretty far above the sump, so there has to be a lot for the oil to froth), but you still want it within spec.

One check you can do is to open the airbox drain plug. It is on the left side of the bike behind the black triangular trim panel - just forward of the rear tire. If a decent amount of oil comes out, then it may have been overfilled. Excessive blow-by on startup can be another sign.

I've read that you can pull the oil filter and the pan won't drain through the opening, allowing you to dump the oil in the filter and get rid of about 4 oz. without having to do a full change. I haven't done that myself, though, so see if you can confirm that before trying.

I haven't heard too many people complain of sight glasses blowing out, although I know it can happen. More often I've read of a cloudy sight glass making it difficult to read the level. If it is clear and shows no signs of leaking, it is probably in good shape.

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #280
Piston Broke
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Newbie

I am new to this forum. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I don't spend much time on the computer and couldn't find a way to start. I have a strong interest in getting a BMW R series. I found a 1996 R1100RT with 65,000mi near me for $4800.00.
A friend advised to ask of your collective knowledge as to whether this is a good deal and if this model year falls into the years of "transmition issues". I have only seen a couple R's for sale around Grand Rapids, MI but I'm new to the BMW community and willing to travel to the deal, I just want to get the most I can for my budget.

Thanks! Happy Trails!
Piston Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #281
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I've come to like a smaller tank bag, big enough to display a map, and quick storage for often used items like camera, keys, snacks, etc. Here is the Cortech that I've used on several bikes the last few years:
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/cortech-mini-tank-bag

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #282
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 327
New sneaks for the RT

I put new ME 880's on the '02 R1150RT-P a week ago. CHiP spec's the Dunlop "run flats" but I've had good luck with the ME 880's on my K12LT and R12C in the past. I'm hoping to get the 12-15k mileage out of them that I have previously. They definitely improve the handling from the near worn out Dunlops that came on the bike.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #283
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
All,

My 2010 RT has been relatively trouble-free except for three (3) fuel sensor replacements. Coming back from Chicago on the 2000-mile trip, the right turn signal failed. Has anyone had similar issue? I am 99% certain it's the switch because the left signal works as does the 4-way flashers. Obviously the switch is getting power. Note that you cannot split the switch cluster housing for troubleshooting according to the BMW repair CD or you may damage the lacquer-coated mylar printed circuit(s). I squirted the crap out of it with CRC Lectra-Motive cleaner to no avail.

On a separate note, I got rid of the stock Metzler's at 8,000 miles and bought Avon Storm 2's. The incessant howling from the front is gone and so far, the tires feel really good. I got caught in a pretty vicious thunderstorm in Cleveland and the bike felt solid but it's hardly a test of the tire when your main job is staying upright with dopes tailgating you at 65 mph and you can't see for crap!
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #284
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 852
[QUOTE=spanker;15954291]My 2010 RT has been relatively trouble-free except for three (3) fuel sensor replacements.

Ugh. I have had the fuel sensor replaced twice on my 07 and it needs to be replaced again. Called BMW NA and was told no better solution has been developed yet. This frustrates the hell out of me. The last one lasted about two months before failing again.
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #285
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston Broke View Post
I am new to this forum. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I don't spend much time on the computer and couldn't find a way to start. I have a strong interest in getting a BMW R series. I found a 1996 R1100RT with 65,000mi near me for $4800.00.
A friend advised to ask of your collective knowledge as to whether this is a good deal and if this model year falls into the years of "transmition issues". I have only seen a couple R's for sale around Grand Rapids, MI but I'm new to the BMW community and willing to travel to the deal, I just want to get the most I can for my budget.

Thanks! Happy Trails!
If I recall correctly, in 1995 there were complaints of trans hanging up while shifting, not going into the next gear. This might have been due to BMW changing the trans to make the clunking shifting noise less loud. There were some legitimate problems but I know for a fact that some complaints were selfish people, including a friend of mine simply using the complaint to get a new trans. If you are serious about this particular bike I suggest you review the service record, the recall record (simply give the VIN to a service center, they can look up any issues) and find a well respected BMW mechanic to go over the bike as if he were looking at buying the bike. If it gets the tech approval you just bought some insurance and piece of mind. If it fails the seller can negotiate an appropriate price.

Also google BMW Sport Touring for the forums specific to the RT series. And over to GSpot in this land of lunatics for lots of data but most of them will bitch and prod you to use the search function to find the appropriate threads on your own.

And fill out your profile, allow PM and emails in case someone wants to send love letters. The moderators do this all the time.