Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #721
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 396
At 70 the vibes are kind of nice and barely noticable, at 80 (4200 RPM) they can seem pretty strong. I find that the Beemer Buddy grips make them alot more tolerable, if that's the right word. I can't say they bother me too much really.

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #722
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 362
My R12C definitely has more vibes than the R1150RTP, but neither bothers me, and I've ridden several hundred miles a day on both. The RTP has the weights on the bar ends which may be one reason the vibes are less.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #723
Coloradorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Sorry in advance for this...

Would anyone care to make a generalized statement on the reliability of the 1200RT? I'm sure this has been hashed to death but what's the bottom line here? I try so so hard to not buy into internet hype about BMW's being unreliable but what's the deal? I seem to run across more unlucky BMW rider complain about why they don't own one anymore because it was always in the shop than ANY other make. I am nearly convinced it's all BS and they are great reliable bikes but what do you think?

I'm also not concerned about anything older than a 2010, how are they building them right now?
Coloradorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #724
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Well, would note the internet is a magnet for problem reporting, that what one reads in forums is not representative. Can mention... have owned an '07 R12RT for almost six years with zero problems. Well, there was a headlamp bulb that burned out. Can say the same about the '07 R12GSADV, except I'm still on the original headlamp bulb.

Relative to Colorado, the R12RT and its nimble/light weight relative to its class, along with that delightfully torquey flat twin, makes it a very special bike for the kinds of roads we have here in the Rockies.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #725
Skred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
... are they building them right now?

You bet your ass they are. The R12-series is one of BMW Motorrads flagships. They aren't about to lose that cash cow.

The R1200 is pretty reliable. I have put 500 miles a day on mine with no problems. Well, my ass was sore. Except for a broken fitting on the fuel pump at 22,000 miles, I have had no mechanical casualties that left me stranded. A friend of mine has a R1150 with 240,000 miles and just put a new motor and transmission in it. Not because of a problem with the engine but because he forgot to check the oil. The Rotax motor is so reliable it is used in light aircraft.

I ride fairly hard and hammer the bike when I am riding in the San Francisco Bay Area. Hours at 80 mph or stop and go, the bike runs fine. I have ridden it across parts of the Mojave Desert, in the sand, and through the mountains. Zoom, zoom, zoom all day long. No handling vices, dead nuts predictable and more capable than I am. I have an '06 and haven't put the feeler pegs down, yet.

Check out the LA Count Sheriffs Department report on the R12 vs anyone else. See it here -

http://www.policemag.com/resources/d...testreport.pdf

A used BMW motorcycle may be a better deal than a new one. It's already broken in and if anything was going to break it prolly already has. The bike is also easy to work on with relatively few tools and a bit of mechanical aptitude.

BMW bikes are the only one I would borrow for a cross-country trip with the knowledge that it would get me there and back without a breakdown.

As far as "problems" with the bike, Beemer riders are prolly the most anal retentive nit-pickers on the retard net. The rate of mechanical casualties is very low, especially when compared to other bikes. The problems get reported, in part, because BMW Motorrad won't admit there are problems unless they have a gun to their head. They will address them when you have the bike serviced. For example, the never admitted there was a problem with the final drive, but every time I have the bike serviced, the final drive oil gets changed.

Bottom line, buy one, ride it, have fun.

Skred screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 10:45 AM
Skred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #726
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
I thought people bought BMW's because they were so reliable and lasted so long. That's one of the reasons I bought both of mine. I haven't been disappointed.

Typically, on the internet you hear mostly the bad. And, I think people have very high expectations when buying a BMW, as they should. They've heard how reliable they are, and if anything at all ever goes wrong, it's considered a major failure since it's a BMW and nothing should ever go wrong with it.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #727
kobukan
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
At 70 the vibes are kind of nice and barely noticable, at 80 (4200 RPM) they can seem pretty strong. I find that the Beemer Buddy grips make them alot more tolerable, if that's the right word. I can't say they bother me too much really.
At 80 mph in 6th gear I feel like I'm coasting on my '04 R1150RT - can barely tell the engine is running. In fact, that's pretty much how it feels at any speed in 6th gear, unless I go below 70 mph and lug it.

That being said, right around 4k rpm is known to be a "buzzy" spot on these boxers, if you can call it that. In 4th or 5th right around 4k I'll feel a very slight vibe that isn't there above or below that rpm. It's so slight it's hardly worth discussing imo. The boxer will never be k-bike smooth, but it is very smooth, and has a unique "character" unlike most other machines.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 08-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #728
Coloradorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Well then, the 1200RT is going to the top of my everchainging short list.

I've decided to rent one. A guy close by has a rental business and has a '10 model available for Wed or Thursday. $189 is kinda steep but I can't drop this much money on a bike without doing this first. It will make the process of buying so much easier knowing I'm getting the right bike.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #729
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorider View Post

I've decided to rent one. A guy close by has a rental business and has a '10 model available for Wed or Thursday. $189 is kinda steep but I can't drop this much money on a bike without doing this first. It will make the process of buying so much easier knowing I'm getting the right bike.

I'd find a dealer and test ride it, that'd save you $189.
JoeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #730
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 809
Quote:

Test riding the RT is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than $189

Hint: Bring your checkbook...

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #731
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 590
Quote:

Keep the revs up, don't be afraid of the rev limiter. Use engine braking into the corners and have fun.

+1 on finding a dealer for a test ride. My dealer lets me take whatever I want and as long as I'm back before closing and doesn't care how long I have it.

2014 Super Tenere

3Putt screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 07:29 AM
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #732
Coloradorider
Gnarly Adventurer

So $22,000 + mainainence BMW costs isn't too much for a motorcycle, but $189 is too much for a 24 hour 500 mile ride to confirm the decision to buy one?

I test rode one and it was hardly enough. I have too many questions about the shaft (I've always had chains) and paralever front end.

I want to wake up at dawn, walk out my door and ride all day, just like I own it. Then I want to drop it off, and think about it instead of being hasseled over buying one. For me, in my situation, it's money well spent.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #733
kobukan
almost gnarly

Sounds like a good plan to me.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #734
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Anyone have pics of fuel cell on R1200RT

I`m thinking of installing either a custom or a store bought fuel cell onto my 2010 RT. I would like pics on install & how & where did you drill the tank for the transfer hose. Would like to do more LD rides (maybe a small rally or 3) but hate stopping too often to fuel up.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #735
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
So $22,000 + mainainence BMW costs isn't too much for a motorcycle, but $189 is too much for a 24 hour 500 mile ride to confirm the decision to buy one?

I test rode one and it was hardly enough. I have too many questions about the shaft (I've always had chains) and paralever front end.

I want to wake up at dawn, walk out my door and ride all day, just like I own it. Then I want to drop it off, and think about it instead of being hasseled over buying one. For me, in my situation, it's money well spent.

I think you misunderstand: most BMW Dealerships will let you ride their demo bikes for free as much as you like, anytime you like. BMW requires at least 2500 miles be put on a designated demonstrator before it can be sold, so they have to put miles on them. That is how I got the deal on my RT. The joke at the dealership was that I would call and tell them to pull out "my" RT. Eventually, I put 2300 of the 2500 miles on it, including the first 600 and a goodly number of multiple 400-600 mile rides, so I knew how the bike had been broken in since I did it.

You are correct that a one day is not enough. I road a couple of 2007 and 2009 RT's and really did not get good vibes from them in the short two hour rides. Only after the extended rides on the demo RT I purchased, did I finally "get" what the bike is all about and capable of doing. I absolutely love the RT. Best bike I have ever owned or ridden because it has such a wide envelope of use.

Shaft drive and paralever is a non-issue. I never even think about either one because I am having the time of my life on the RT. So please do wake up, ride it like you stole it, and enjoy you date with your new best friend !

You will not regret purchasing an RT, especially the 2010 up with the Camhead engine. Only real complaint any of us has is that we regret not making the switch to the RT much, much earlier.

Good luck on your decision, and let us know what happens

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote