ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #781
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CrustyAPO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York state (unfortunately)
Oddometer: 438
I have a similar sound on my '08 and believe it is the ESA initialising or doing whatever it does when the ignition is turned on. If you have a 2010-current one they have the exhaust flapper valve and that might be positioning itself for startup as well.
__________________
Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.
CrustyAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #782
JBADV
searching for sanity
 
JBADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: right here,right now
Oddometer: 3,391
The reason I think the noise is from the fuel pump is that I didn't hear the noise when the bike failed to start.That,and I don't remember it ever making this "squawk"noise.Now when I turn on the key the noise comes from the fuel pump area.I hear a "click" and then a "squawk".If I cycle the key off then on,after I hear the "squawk",I hear only the click.If I wait a couple of minutes and turn on the key,I hear the "click" then the "squawk".I recall hearing the "click"in the past,but not the "squawk".When the bike would not start I heard the normal sound in the dash area and the exhaust valve,but nothing from the fuel pump area.Not really sure what to think at this time,but I don't trust it enough to go for a ride.
__________________
The older I grow,the faster life goes.
The more I learn,the less I know.
JBADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #783
mrsteve
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: DFW?!
Oddometer: 20
Question Best Year for Used RT?

Hi All,

I lurk more than post (don't think my posts would improve the content to noise ratio), but have been an active reader here for a while.

I've had Japanese bikes thus far, and am thinking about an RT.

I'm thinking about a 2nd hand RT and was wondering about the consensus on what is the best year to buy used.

I'd use the bike as a daily commuter and sometimes fun riding machine. I'm looking for best price/value ratio, least problems, easiest to maintain.

I understand that there is a series of brakes that you have to go to the dealer for work. True? I've read in the GS world about shaft drive problems, are those found in the RT? (I haven't seen much written about it).

And (just one more question) where is the best place to find used RTs? I'm in SoCal.

Thanks!

Steve
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #784
DirtMerchant
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtMerchant's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,462
Steve,

Buy the newest one you can afford because there are subtle changes "improvements" made nearly every year. I would be less worried about milage then I would be about lack of maintenance within reason.

When I bought my 2011 I was looking for an 07 or newer since I didn't want the servo assist that I had issues with on my 05 GS but I really couldn't find any deals that made sense. The new in 2010 Camhead engine is an improvement over the 2005-2009 Hexhead. The updates on the 2011 such as forks, audio and lack of problematic fuel strip made it worth the extra coin for me; YMMV
__________________
.
.
.
2011 R1200RT Polar
.

DirtMerchant screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 06:08 PM
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #785
Firenailer
just passin' thru
 
Firenailer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBADV View Post
The reason I think the noise is from the fuel pump is that I didn't hear the noise when the bike failed to start.That,and I don't remember it ever making this "squawk"noise.Now when I turn on the key the noise comes from the fuel pump area.I hear a "click" and then a "squawk".If I cycle the key off then on,after I hear the "squawk",I hear only the click.If I wait a couple of minutes and turn on the key,I hear the "click" then the "squawk".I recall hearing the "click"in the past,but not the "squawk".When the bike would not start I heard the normal sound in the dash area and the exhaust valve,but nothing from the fuel pump area.Not really sure what to think at this time,but I don't trust it enough to go for a ride.

JB,

I haven't heard anything like this yet, did you get the bike to MAX yet? Let us know what it turns out to be. Mice or chipmunks getting busy? I left my truck in the driveway for 2 days over the weekend and smelled burning when I started it up last night, the bastiches had already started making a nest between the muffler and heat shield!
__________________
Ride Safe

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #786
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CrustyAPO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York state (unfortunately)
Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
I'm thinking about a 2nd hand RT and was wondering about the consensus on what is the best year to buy used.
And (just one more question) where is the best place to find used RTs? I'm in SoCal.Thanks!
Steve
I use "Ad Hunt'r" when looking on Craigslist. It is a search engine that will allow you to search all of Craigslist.
http://www.adhuntr.com/.
BMWMOA has a classified section: http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/
i-BMW.com: http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/index.php
BMW Sport-Touring: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...Board=2&page=1

That should get you started.
__________________
Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.
CrustyAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #787
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
2730 GPS stopped getting signal on RT

It`s very strange that after installing the GPS from my FJR to my R1200RT , that now i can`t get the satalite to find a signal. Is it all the extra plastic the RT has over the FJR or is it just that something went wrong with it. Both times it was wired to a fuzeblock under the seat & both times the unit is mounted on the stearing stem.. Hope it`s something i just missed ??
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #788
ka5ysy
Doug
 
ka5ysy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Prairieville LA
Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
It`s very strange that after installing the GPS from my FJR to my R1200RT , that now i can`t get the satalite to find a signal. Is it all the extra plastic the RT has over the FJR or is it just that something went wrong with it. Both times it was wired to a fuzeblock under the seat & both times the unit is mounted on the stearing stem.. Hope it`s something i just missed ??
Does your unit use the external antenna or the internal patch. The Garmin external antennas sometime break the coax and will not acquire satellites.


Finally, have you tried to run the unit freestanding away from the bike and buildings? That will give you some idea if it is actually working. Given its age and being a discontinued unit by Garmin, you probably have one that died.

I had a Streetpilot that did basically the same thing and would not find satellites because the GPS receiver failed.

Looks like a Nuvi in your future ...
__________________
Doug, KA5YSY

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 02:47 PM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #789
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Denver NC
Oddometer: 265
Talking Great Ride

I had purchased a K1600GTL last year and enjoyed the bike for a year and 11,500 miles. It just never felt right and I went back to the RT. Ive ridden it about 2000 miles now and Im really glad that I went back. Got to take care of a couple upgrades and I think Ill be set for a while. I have a new VStream windshield ordered as well as Suburban machinery bar risers. I ordered a GPS hood from RBNS Hoods. Im going to get a Wunderlich trunk rack tomorrow. Im thinking about a Russell seat but Im not really very unhappy with the stock seat. Im inseam challenged (30 inches) so Im not sure the Russell will work out. Id like to find a bike with one to sit on it and see what I think before I plunk down $600.

Did about 240 miles yesterday in the Smokey Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt Mitchell, and Asheville. What a great ride on a beautiful day. Im not sure it gets any better than that. Leaves will be turning soon, much sooner than last year I think. Some already turning. If you are coming this way better come in a couple weeks, my bet is that the prime time will be sooner than latter.

Anyway its a great bike that absolutely suits me and my riding style. Glad to have that great boxer back!

Bud
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #790
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CrustyAPO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York state (unfortunately)
Oddometer: 438
I rode the 1200RT and the K1600. Love the 6cyl motor, but the wheelbase is just a little too long for me. I ended up with the RT in the garage next to the Rockster and the GSA. The RT handles superbly, and without all the extra doo-dads the K-bike has ( kind of distracting). They should offer the 6cyl in the RT. Now that would be SPORT-TOURING!!!
__________________
Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.
CrustyAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #791
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy
 
JoeyBones's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Charlotte, Y'all
Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Im thinking about a Russell seat but Im not really very unhappy with the stock seat. Im inseam challenged (30 inches) so Im not sure the Russell will work out. Id like to find a bike with one to sit on it and see what I think before I plunk down $600.
I'm in Charlotte and I have a 2011 RT with a Russell on it you can check out...

Close enough?
__________________
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #792
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Does your unit use the external antenna or the internal patch. The Garmin external antennas sometime break the coax and will not acquire satellites.


Finally, have you tried to run the unit freestanding away from the bike and buildings? That will give you some idea if it is actually working. Given its age and being a discontinued unit by Garmin, you probably have one that died.

I had a Streetpilot that did basically the same thing and would not find satellites because the GPS receiver failed.

Looks like a Nuvi in your future ...
Never needed the external antenna , as the unit worked just fine without it. i might look for one & see it it helps (they go pretty cheap)
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #793
mrsteve
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: DFW?!
Oddometer: 20
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyAPO View Post
I use "Ad Hunt'r" when looking on Craigslist. It is a search engine that will allow you to search all of Craigslist.
http://www.adhuntr.com/.
BMWMOA has a classified section: http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/
i-BMW.com: http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/index.php
BMW Sport-Touring: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...Board=2&page=1

That should get you started.
Cool! That Craigslist tool is awesome! But what is up with BMWMOA charging $40 to look at their ads?

Would it be safe to say that 2004 and up are the best years to look at for used RT's?

Thanks!
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #794
ka5ysy
Doug
 
ka5ysy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Prairieville LA
Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
Would it be safe to say that 2004 and up are the best years to look at for used RT's?

Thanks!
Actually, if you want to avoid the boosted brakes, start 2007, which is also hexhead engine. Camhead starts at 2010.
__________________
Doug, KA5YSY

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #795
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 519
I had the same thoughts on the BMW moa 40$ membership, I've had 5 BMW motorbikes and can do without the BMW moa and the 40$ crap
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014