User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #826
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 84
RT Ride Reports

Guys, I've spent a lot of time lurking on the RideReports section here, and several other sites, and never see trip reports where an RT is the mount of choice. A bazillion KLR, V and Wee-Stroms, Harleys of every description, Ducatis, GS, and you name it, but never RTs. Of course, I've never published a ride report either so I guess I'm pointing the finger at myself too. But my RT is new so I get a temporary pass!

Are there any ride reports out there where RTs have taken on the vast American landscape, or are we just quiet unassuming folks that keep our two wheeled adventures to ourselves? If y'all can point me to some that would be great. I want to see how other folks roll, how the RT does on mega-mile trips, what changes to RTs are advisable by those that rack up those big miles and smiles.

I promise to learn how to post one, and take lotsa pics next time I travel. (Might be spring 2013, weather is closing in pretty soon and work is being a PITA).

Jim
Canton, OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #827
peterb
Long Distance Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
RT ride report

Jim - my RT is definitely my ride of choice, even tho I have had some difficulties, including what is now found to be a cracked transmission case around the output shaft - this discovered on tear down after my 3rd tranny seal failed.

My last ride report as well as others if you dig... www.ppldma.com

2000 BMW 1150 GS with >165k miles and more to come...

2007 BMW R1200RT - new 4/08 with >145K smiles ...
peterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #828
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 404
Morning Everyone,

Jim-Mer - I usually try the BMW specific websites. BMWMOA, BMW Luxury Touring, or BMW SportTouring have quite a few reports about trips and RT Touring. It's funny, I'm usually a farkling madman, but this new RT fits me just fine. The only things I've added (so far) are the Original BMW GripBuddies, above bar mirrors and an Alaska Butt Pad.

I'm fooling around with adding an old Garmin Nuvi that I have using a Ram mount, but I haven't worked out the power source yet. ( I really didn't like the way the wires and adaptor worked plugging it into the dash socket.) Most of the time I use either my iphone or plug it in when I'm stopped somewhere to find directions if I need them.

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #829
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
This is a great forum if you have a BMW GS (GSpot) but not so great for RT riders. I think that the world is full of adventures whether it's on dirt or on pavement so it would be great if we had a RT Spot on here instead of being chucked into the generic Road Warrior section. But like Firenailer wrote, there's other great forums for RT riders. I'm pretty lucky to have both a GS and RT so I use several of the forums.

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #830
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

I've been looking at those sites as well but the RT specific stuff is pretty thin. I had a GS before this and I was in the GSpot on an ongoing basis, as well as scanning for GS based ride reports...and there are a LOT of them. And I agree, an adventure has nothing to do with what you ride, rather what you make of your journey.

Firenailer, the only thing I've done to the RT is Clearwater lights added for conspicuity (I want people to see me coming!), and a Sargent seat to make it livable for long days. I bought this RT new and got in on the Nav4 promotion, so that helped. I already had a RKA tankbag that fit fine. I added a Sena bluetooth gizmo so I can hear tunes and turn instructions from the Nav4, but you are right, there is not much farkeling to do! Actually the RT is boring efficient, maybe that is why so few ride reports are showing up. I've never had a mile eater like this thing however, and am looking forward to long trips, and again I commit to developing ride reports wen I do! Now, if I could find a way to retire NOW instead of a few years from now that would be a lot easier!!! Unfortunately I got a few more things to pay for before I can do that.

Jim
Canton, OH
Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #831
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,367
If you own an RT you're too busy riding to stop and write a whole lot, maybe?

So far in 2012 I have ridden my RT from Charlotte to Key West and back, from Charlotte to Cabo and back, from Charlotte to Niagara Falls and back, and from Charlotte to Birmingham, AL and back.

Various factors have kept me from doing a ride report on any of these trips.

Next year. I keep saying "next year", I'll do a proper RR. I really admire those who take the time to put one together, no matter what they ride. You might also look at Sport-Touring.net. I find that few forums have many ride reports compared to ADV, and ADV is a GS/KLR type of place, so the math probably works out.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #832
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I took my '08 GSA out to the WSBK races at Miller Motorsport Park in May. Picked up an '08 RT in July and looking forward to the same trip next year, but with Cruise Control and a bike that will run at 80mph ALL day. The only thing I'll miss about the GSA is the Jesse Bags. You can haul alot of stuff with room to spare. The RT you have to be a little more selective when packing for a trip.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #833
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 75
Throttle Lock

Hi everyone, I'm considering a throttle lock after my last trip on my 1150RT. Any feedback or recommendations out there?
Thanks FR
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #834
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Hi everyone, I'm considering a throttle lock after my last trip on my 1150RT. Any feedback or recommendations out there?
Thanks FR

I have used Throttlemeister for years. Works great and looks good too.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #835
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexal View Post
This is a great forum if you have a BMW GS (GSpot) but not so great for RT riders. I think that the world is full of adventures whether it's on dirt or on pavement so it would be great if we had a RT Spot on here instead of being chucked into the generic Road Warrior section. But like Firenailer wrote, there's other great forums for RT riders. I'm pretty lucky to have both a GS and RT so I use several of the forums.

Am I missing something ? This is "The Official RT Thread" and AFIK, there is not a whole lot of discussion of GS's in here.

Probably the most active RT specific forum is over here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #836
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Doug, the LT forum is something I've never looked at, I assumed it was BMW LT specific instead of luxury touring. Thanks for pointing me to that one.

Jim
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #837
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
Guys, I've spent a lot of time lurking on the RideReports section here, and several other sites, and never see trip reports where an RT is the mount of choice. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
If you own an RT you're too busy riding to stop and write a whole lot, maybe?....
I agree with Joey!

For example, last weekend I did a little ride to see if the cappuccino in Gaspe, Quebec is still as good as I remember.

A little 2.5k-mile ride on the 1150RT over a long weekend, stopped to take a few pics, but considered it not worthy of a Ride Report. Just having fun! Even in torrential downpours enroute.

Cappuccino still good there, by the way.

rdwalker screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 10:52 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #838
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I just came across this thread so forgive me for asking a question that has probabley been covered. I have a 2011 RT and I was wondering if the second plug for each cylinder is inside the valve covers? Also is there a gasket that needs to be placed when valve covers are removed? Thanks
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #839
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
....last weekend I did a little ride to see if the cappuccino in Gaspe, Quebec is still as good as I remember.

A little 2.5k-mile ride on the 1150RT over a long weekend, stopped to take a few pics, but considered it not worthy of a Ride Report. Just having fun! Even in torrential downpours enroute.

Cappuccino still good there, by the way.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #840
Shaun09
Riding the Asphalt Ribbon

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
I have a 2011 RT and I was wondering if the second plug for each cylinder is inside the valve covers? Also is there a gasket that needs to be placed when valve covers are removed? Thanks
The secondary plug is under (below) the cylinder and the spark plugs may be changed without removing the valve covers. The valve covers do have gaskets, but many do not replace them and instead clean and reuse.

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)
Shaun09 is offline   Reply With Quote