Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #841
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun09 View Post
The secondary plug is under (below) the cylinder and the spark plugs may be changed without removing the valve covers. The valve covers do have gaskets, but many do not replace them and instead clean and reuse.
I guess I better look again. thanks
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #842
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 816
I am thinking of running up the Natchez Trace tomorrow. Will take the GoPro and the Nikon and see if I get energetic enough to write a quick ride report.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #843
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
I am thinking of running up the Natchez Trace tomorrow. Will take the GoPro and the Nikon and see if I get energetic enough to write a quick ride report.
Don't waste your time on us here.
Have fun, ride, enjoy! Ride reports are secondary! (Though welcome.)

73, N2REZ
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #844
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Barber Motorsports

Ive got the bar risers installed, changed out the windshield for a Vstream, added a Wunderlich luggage rack on the topbox and have a set of Cardo bluetooth intercoms coming this week. Bought my tickets for the Vintage days at Barber Motorsports for next weekend. Picked up my track pas to do the track on Friday night. GOPro is charged up. Cant wait.

Anyone else headed that way? Looks like the weather is going to cooperate. The addition of the Ace Cafe looks like a cool thing.

I took the K1600GTL on the track last year, looking forward to taking the RT out this year. Hopefully Ill get some good video.

Bud
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #845
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 77
Throttle Lock

Hi to everyone and great to see this thread finally. I am considering a throttle lock for my 1150RT but have never used one so I would like some feedback, if any, on its use and any brand you all recommend.

Regards, C
Cameleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #846
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 816
RIDE REPORT: Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez

This morning the SO and I loaded up the RT, put on the cold ride gear and departed Prairieville, LA for Natchez and the southern end of the 444 mile long Natchez Trace Parkway.

The day started and stayed gray overcast due to the proximity of the cold front that moved down the Mississippi River valley in the last day or so.

We joined the Parkway at about 11AM after a quick stop to top off the gas (there are NO services on this thing, and the get-off roads if you need to leave the parkway are few and far between at times. The speed limit is also 50MPH and the Park police do patrol and issue expensive tickets when bored.

There are occasional turnouts for displays and walking trails, along with some picnic facilities. Restroom facilities are scarce.

Since we are just getting into cold weather time down south, the trees have not yet begun to do fall colors and things are still quite green. Probably will have color in about three weeks or so. The result is a nice drive on a cold, overcast day where we spotted three other bikers headed south into Natchez, and only four cars also headed south. This is a lightly traveled roadway !. Anyway, there was nothing interesting to stop and take photos of, so this is a non-photo report !.

After running the Parkway up to the Whitaker Road intersection (N32'03.894", W 090'49.197") we decided to take a GPS route over to I-55 to run south back home mostly because the parkway was getting boring traveling 50MPH and having nothing to see but green. It reminded me a lot of the BRP without the overlooks.

Whitaker road is WAY better for twisties, but the disadvantage is that while it is paved, I use the term loosely. There are a bizillion asphalt patches in various stages of disrepair making for dicey traction in several places. This thing is about 1 1/2 lanes wide, so on-coming traffic is entertaining if you meet in a turn, like we did with someone in an F350 taking up 2/3 of the lane. Better choice of motorcycle here would have been a GS rather than the RT, but it did a great job anyway. The ESA was set in "Comfort" mode and was still jarring at times.

The GPS then commanded a turn right onto Carlisle Road, over to MS-18 and a left turn. Someplace along here we were driving along a ditch with lots of brush up to a fence, and I glanced right to look at a barn when the SO yelled "DEER!!!" in the intercom. Happily I was instantly hard on the brakes just in time to notice a nice Doe jump up on the shoulder of the ditch to the right and glance over her shoulder to me. Just like in motorcycling, the deer went just where she looked: straight in front of the RT. A harder squeeze/press on the brakes and it dropped the speed quickly in control before any contact without ABS activation, and a quick brake release and swerve right/left got around the ass end of the deer to the right, which I could easily have kicked going by as she was now cruising along in my lane. All this happened at a starting speed of about 30 mph, so other than a great exercise in emergency braking and swerving, no big deal. Thanks Brembo !

We eventually got out onto the interstate and cruised back south without further excitement at a brisk 75 staying between traffic heading home from the weekend.

Trip total for the day 489 miles, fuel average today 49.5 MPG, oil check at end of trip: none used. Wife loved the trip, and is ready to do something next weekend.

The deer incident illustrates clearly something we emphasize in the MSF and Riders Edge classes: Always practice these three critical skills because they are volatile and will deteriorate quickly without practice and someday you WILL need one or all of them:

1. Quick stops straight ahead
2. Quick stops in a curve left and right
3. Emergency swerves left and right.

Stay safe out there folks !

Back to work tomorrow

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 06:52 PM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #847
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Hi to everyone and great to see this thread finally. I am considering a throttle lock for my 1150RT but have never used one so I would like some feedback, if any, on its use and any brand you all recommend. Regards, C
I had cruise control on the K12LT, but rarely used it. It felt somehow like I was no longer riding the bike, but driving it instead. I'd use the cruise only on long interstate rides for a few minutes to rest the wrist. I tried a few throttle rockers until I found this one that works the best for me. It's small, just catches the palm edge and doesn't get caught up in the jacket sleeve like some others. It's inexpensive and might be worth a try to see if it works for you:

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #848
Mexico Vic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Going to run the Trace next week leaving B'ham on Thursday.
Mexico Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #849
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
2010 R1200rt tank size

Search isn`t working on this site so , i`d like to know what the size the gas tank is on my 2010 R1200RT. I have read on some specs 6.6 & others 7.13 , so which one would it be ?(makes a diffence which fuel cell i can buy).
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #850
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,137
Says 27L inc 4L reserve for Oz - what ever that is in USGallons?
With modding the filler neck i get 30L

Shane
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #851
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeglessOne View Post
Says 27L inc 4L reserve for Oz - what ever that is in USGallons?
With modding the filler neck i get 30L

Shane
27L converted to 7.13265 US gallons, Thats great 4 gallon cell is better , cause it`s lighter on the tail (actually back seat)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #852
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 405
The Manual for my 2012 RT lists the usable fuel capacity at 6.6 gallons with 1.1 gal remaining when reserve indicates.

On another subject - I have the Low model RT and a heated seat was not an option on this motorcycle. I see that the Low Comfort seat is available in a heated version with what looks like a switch on the side of the seat. Can I simply install this seat and wire it directly to the battery giving me the heat I want, or is the reason for the unavailability, a clearance / heat concern on the Low Model?

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________

Firenailer screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 06:21 AM
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #853
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
The Manual for my 2012 RT lists the usable fuel capacity at 6.6 gallons with 1.1 gal remaining when reserve indicates.

On another subject - I have the Low model RT and a heated seat was not an option on this motorcycle. I see that the Low Comfort seat is available in a heated version with what looks like a switch on the side of the seat. Can I simply install this seat and wire it directly to the battery giving me the heat I want, or is the reason for the unavailability, a clearance / heat concern on the Low Model?
Functional, one-piece comfort seat, high-quality finish in artificial leather
Suitable for all years R1200RT
Slightly lower (< .5" compared to standard seat in low position), but also wider than the standard seat
Significantly more comfort for rider and passenger because seat is more comfortably padded and the seat cushion itself is wider
Seat with seat heating, switch at side of seat (seat heating usable only on motorcycle equipped with the 'seat heating' optional extra)
Color: Black
so i`m guessing no , unless you get the right hand control & wireing. I`m thinking in a year or 2 to get some heated seats & trying the same thing , but make it look stock, as i`m woundering what those 2 capped plugs under the seat are for.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #854
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 405
[QUOTE=roadstar
Seat with seat heating, switch at side of seat (seat heating usable only on motorcycle equipped with the 'seat heating' optional extra)
Color: Black
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to ask about this at MAX, when I read that the switch is on the seat itself it made me think we wouldn't need the hand grip switch. Wouldn't it be redundant?

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #855
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyAPO View Post
I took my '08 GSA out to the WSBK races at Miller Motorsport Park in May. Picked up an '08 RT in July and looking forward to the same trip next year, but with Cruise Control and a bike that will run at 80mph ALL day. The only thing I'll miss about the GSA is the Jesse Bags. You can haul alot of stuff with room to spare. The RT you have to be a little more selective when packing for a trip.

I don't think WSBK is coming back to Miller next year.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote