Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #856
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I don't think WSBK is coming back to Miller next year.
That's a damn shame. I really enjoyed myself. Now I'll just have to go to Assent, or Silverstone instead.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #857
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyAPO View Post
That's a damn shame. I really enjoyed myself. Now I'll just have to go to Assent, or Silverstone instead.
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm fortunate as I have a house in Italy, so I usually hit up at least one are there.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #858
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 92
Thumb Throttlemeister it is, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
I have used Throttlemeister for years. Works great and looks good too.
Thanks for the feedback Doug, I have just ordered the new black-and-silver milled heavy one.
Regards, FR
Cameleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #859
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Thumb

[QUOTE=dmottv;19776733]I had cruise control on the K12LT, but rarely used it. It felt somehow like I was no longer riding the bike, but driving it instead. I'd use the cruise only on long interstate rides for a few minutes to rest the wrist. I tried a few throttle rockers until I found this one that works the best for me. It's small, just catches the palm edge and doesn't get caught up in the jacket sleeve like some others. It's inexpensive and might be worth a try to see if it works for you:

Thanks for the reply D, after a long thought went for a Throttlemeister in the end. Will report.

Safe rides, C
Cameleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #860
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Thanks for the feedback Doug, I have just ordered the new black-and-silver milled heavy one.
Regards, FR

That is good looking bar end. You will not be disappointed with them. Even though I have cruise on the RT, I put my old "heavy" black crinkle version on it because they damp out much of the vibration in the bars, and can be used below 20mph where the cruise will not engage. I also like a bit of friction on the throttle anyway, to ease the hand cramp issues at times.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #861
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Itching

I am so glad to see so much feedback here from you guys regarding maintenance and accesories for RT's here, I cannot do any work myself on my good ole' 2001 1150RT as we "live apart" since I will not ride here in Dubai where I live.

For now, the bike is in Spain for the winter and I'm hoping to go ride it at the end of the month. I shipped first to Germany where I did my unglamorous baby steps being back to biking after 25 yrs, then took it by train to the French border and rode it to Barcelona. It has been a long road to get this going and if I ever put it in writing it will for sure make some of you laugh! Got a couple of good rides around Heidelberg with some of it on my GoPro and some good stills, if I ever make the time for it I'll come up with a good ride report.

Thanks for all the good info. Cameleer
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #862
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Zumo 660 connection

By the way, does anyone have any experience with connecting the Zumo 660 Garmin-supplied power cable?
I would like to somehow link it to the ignition switch rather than directly to the battery.

Any help appreciated, regards Cameleer
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #863
ka5ysy
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
By the way, does anyone have any experience with connecting the Zumo 660 Garmin-supplied power cable?
I would like to somehow link it to the ignition switch rather than directly to the battery.

Any help appreciated, regards Cameleer
I am not certain which cord you have, but Garmin does have a specific motorcycle mount kit. This is the GPS City site (good people!):

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-6...wer-cable.html

You did not mention what year bike you have, but my 2011 RT has a connector zip tied to the frame by the steering head for the BMW version. You can purchase the BMW Repair connector, solder it to the Garmin lead and attach into the system that way.

2011 BMW R1200RT
Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #864
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
I am not certain which cord you have, but Garmin does have a specific motorcycle mount kit. This is the GPS City site (good people!):

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-6...wer-cable.html

You did not mention what year bike you have, but my 2011 RT has a connector zip tied to the frame by the steering head for the BMW version. You can purchase the BMW Repair connector, solder it to the Garmin lead and attach into the system that way.

Damn I wish I'd known that.

I just broke into the wire supplying the power outlet under the stereo controls - goes on and off with ignition.

Shane
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #865
ka5ysy
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeglessOne View Post
Damn I wish I'd known that.

I just broke into the wire supplying the power outlet under the stereo controls - goes on and off with ignition.

Shane
Check this thread for details of the radio leads available, as well as the GPS hookup. Great information :

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...7&page=1&pp=50

2011 BMW R1200RT
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #866
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Check this thread for details of the radio leads available, as well as the GPS hookup. Great information :

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...7&page=1&pp=50
Thanks Doug

Some great info there.But I've already wired the GPS up and while i was at it put an outlet in the top of the glovebox to charge my phone and keep it out of the weather.

Shane
Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #867
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
05 rt driveshaft

Drive shaft
Anyone ever pulled the driveshaft on a 1200, I would like to check my ft u joint just to check for rust or stiffness. Just did a trip and my buddy's ft u joint broke causing serious damage. Embarrassing as the other bikes with us were all hd and 7 years older. The broke bike was an 08 1200.
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #868
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 87
I've always wondered if there is any correlation between our clunky transmissions and drive line failures? Wen I shift down from 3rd to 2ndon my NEW RT, it feels like the entire driveline gets a tremendous jolt. This cannot be good for all of the downstream components like U-joints and other pieces and parts. What do the learned experts here think of that theory?

Jim
Canton,OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #869
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
Drive shaft
Anyone ever pulled the driveshaft on a 1200, I would like to check my ft u joint just to check for rust or stiffness. Just did a trip and my buddy's ft u joint broke causing serious damage. Embarrassing as the other bikes with us were all hd and 7 years older. The broke bike was an 08 1200.
I believe the RT and ST are the same. If that is true, the driveshaft can not be removed without pulling the swingarm. I have tried.

The GS and GSA allow removal of the driveshaft with the swingarm installed.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #870
ka5ysy
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
I've always wondered if there is any correlation between our clunky transmissions and drive line failures? Wen I shift down from 3rd to 2ndon my NEW RT, it feels like the entire driveline gets a tremendous jolt. This cannot be good for all of the downstream components like U-joints and other pieces and parts. What do the learned experts here think of that theory?

Jim
Canton,OH
Don't let the clutch out so fast, and remember to add throttle to match the lower gearing. Problem solved.

2011 BMW R1200RT