Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #946
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
I love my areoflow and tried a parabellem and did not care for it, im 6ft and have a medium, also did not care for the cbailey..
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #947
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
I love my areoflow and tried a parabellem and did not care for it, im 6ft and have a medium, also did not care for the cbailey..
Thanks ! i had a calsi on my FJR & did like it but very thin & felt the RT needs something better than that.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #948
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Why not just Calsci your existing OEM screen - I did just that (made the Calsci template & cut the hole out) some 56,000 miles ago and couldn't be happier

1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #949
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post
Why not just Calsci your existing OEM screen - I did just that (made the Calsci template & cut the hole out) some 56,000 miles ago and couldn't be happier

The 2010 & up RT has the balance on the bottom of fairing that the 05-09 doesn`t have. The stock shield is way too noisy & lets to much air around it.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #950
Effjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I bought a V-Stream windscreen for my formerly owned 2004 Yammie FJR and liked it well enough that I installed a similar one on my (likewise former) 07 R1200RT. Neither was the taller version later introduced and both (IMO) complimented angular styling of those motos. Now, I have the primo oilhead RT purchased recently shown in the BMWST link below, which came with an Aeroflow mounted and Cee Bailey taken off with few very miles rolled (only 10K since new). Maybe those pics posted last week will be useful to someone here. While you're there, check out my "bookend" pics at end of post. BTW, that Aeroflow is now listed in BMWST classifieds.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...=812614&page=2
Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #951
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I really like the RT for a new bike this year. It checks all the boxes except engine power. Has any one done the engine power mods that a lot of the GS guys have tried and has it made a difference?
Some have used booster plugs to trick the ecu into adding more fuel, full header and new muffler, or a less restrictive air cleaner. I do not want to loose fuel economy or make the bike loud, maybe just some growl under WOT.

Also wondered what do most BMW dealers discount sticker on these bikes? One local will discount $500 and charges $75 to prep and set up the bike, how does this sound?

Can you perform your service and not effect the warranty?

I was torn between the RT and a new water cooled GS, but nervous that the new bike may have to many year issues, do you feel the 2012 or 2013 RT is well sorted and would be a better bike for reliability?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #952
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I really like the RT for a new bike this year. It checks all the boxes except engine power. Has any one done the engine power mods that a lot of the GS guys have tried and has it made a difference?
Some have used booster plugs to trick the ecu into adding more fuel, full header and new muffler, or a less restrictive air cleaner. I do not want to loose fuel economy or make the bike loud, maybe just some growl under WOT.

Also wondered what do most BMW dealers discount sticker on these bikes? One local will discount $500 and charges $75 to prep and set up the bike, how does this sound?

Can you perform your service and not effect the warranty?

I was torn between the RT and a new water cooled GS, but nervous that the new bike may have to many year issues, do you feel the 2012 or 2013 RT is well sorted and would be a better bike for reliability?

The RT is an outstanding bike and most of us have only one regret: that we did not jump on one much sooner !

I have never felt I needed any more power on the Camhead engine than it already has. The bike will pull a wheelie easily if you get on it hard, so more power is unnecessary. I get around 48-55 mpg most of the time, and I am still under the magic 15000 mile run-in point I usually notice the gas mileage really improve on boxers. As far as growl under WOT... well, when the valve opens up on the exhaust, I think you can hear what you want :). Akrapovic cans help too, but I am not into noise. That is the province of Harleys, not Beemers.

One suggestion most of us will make is to not do anything with the bike for the first few thousand miles. Some things you think you need, will not be necessary and vice-versa.

Dealerships vary in how they play just like car dealers. Some will deal, some will not. Keep in mind that margins are not large on the bikes, and many will play with add-on goodies where they have greater leeway in throwing in freebies. Most will toss in the 600 mile first service, and maybe some accessories if you ask nicely.

The R bikes are very easy to work on, and if you maintain a record of what you did, it will not effect your warranty. Jim Baden makes an excellent DVD showing most service methods you will need, and is recommended. The only special tool you might need is the GS-911 to reset service reminders, and to be able to do some other stuff like throttle body sync, etc.

The RT is a hard bike to beat for total capability. You can tour comfortably, chase crotch rockets easily in the twisty bits, and be way more comfortable in cold or wet weather than most any other bike. The GS is a great bike too, but you will not have cruise control, the weather protection etc. My personal concern with the new GS is how hot the bike is going to be with two radiators dumping heat. It has to go someplace, and until I get a ride on one, I am suspicious of that situation.

As far as first generation stuff, I tend to be on the bleeding edge of most things, so that has never been a concern. If something breaks or irritates me, I fix it and go on with life.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 05:52 AM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #953
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Doug
Thanks for your advice. I really leaning towards the RT vs the GS because in the 15000 miles I ride in a year less than 100 are on gravel or dirt so highway and blacktop performance is the most important consideration.
I have been on who does way to much on a bike and trying to restrain myself on the next bike to keep as much stock as possible! I need to get out to the 3 BMW dealers with in 50 miles of my home and start shopping! I have a week trip planned to the Smokies the first of March and need to get my bike and break it in before I go.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #954
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Doug
I have been one who does way to much on a bike and trying to restrain myself on the next bike to keep as much stock as possible!

Well, one thing about the RT is that the Farkle Virus is a serious concern, and there is no cure known to man...

Here is mine, with photos over in the BMWLT RT forum:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=16

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #955
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

It appears you have a mild case of the farkles! The only cure is more hours on the bike and less time on the internet being tempted by all of the vendors!
What is the best web site for RT info?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #956
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 420
Hey Ken,

The RT is a hard bike to beat! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the power or performance at all. I picked up a 2012 last December and am really very pleased with the bike.

I had an '04 1200 GT before and while this isn't quite up to the animal power of the inline 4, I've honestly never found myself lacking any punch when I need it.

The farkle disease is something we all get, and the longer you have the bike it seems the more stuff you acquire, it just happens! Give it a year or so before you really start changing things to get yourself acclimated to the bike.

As far as websites, I like this one, BMWLT, BMWMOA, and BMWSportouring. Lots of good info on them all.

Good luck with your purchase!

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #957
NavyDiveDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thumb Skidplate Fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
I put a GS skidplate on my 2011
FYI - I put one of these on my 2011 last night. The fiche lists different parts for 2010+ and 2009-. The parts looked awfully close, so I took a chance and bought a 2009 GS takeoff with stock hardware. Fit the 2011 perfectly.

I definitely have the farkle sickness...
2011 R1200RT
2000 R1100S

NavyDiveDoc screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 06:40 AM
NavyDiveDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #958
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 420
Navy Doc -

I like the Top Box, looks better as an every day thing than the 49 Liter I use for trips.....Damnit, time for another purchase!

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #959
NavyDiveDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
Navy Doc -

I like the Top Box, looks better as an every day thing than the 49 Liter I use for trips.....Damnit, time for another purchase!
That bike is DirtMerchant's from earlier in the thread. I agree on the box, though. My 49L is fantastic for a trip, but a genuine eyesore for daily wear. Anytime is a good time for another purchase.
2011 R1200RT
2000 R1100S
NavyDiveDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #960
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 527
Im looking for soem advice. Im looking for a hexhead 1200RT ( 2005-2009) I know that 05-06 have the servo assisted brakes and that 08+ require the gs-911. With all this is there a year that you would recommend or any other suggestions to factor in when I looking?

A couple of the things I have already been advise to look for.
  • maintenance history,
  • history of how the bike has been ridden
  • options ( cruise, heated grips & heated seat are among the one that are most important to me)
  • farkles,
  • overall appearance
  • vibe from the current owner
  • price
Thanks for your input
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote