Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #1036
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I've only put ~50 miles on the bike, but so far its comfy. It's much nicer to me than that stock seats on the R1200GS, F650GS and Ducati Monster. The only issue so far is that it puts you in a pocket that's not conducive to altering body position side to side. (were there less of me the pocket issue might not be present or as pronounced)
I don't have any problems with the stock seat, but have only put about 700 miles on the bike with the longest ride barely an hour. If I can go a full tank of gas on the stock seat, that should suffice. I'll have to sit on a comfort seat one of these days...

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #1037
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,138
Im not sure if this should be here or equipment. I have a BWM communication system in my helmet paired to the bikes radio system. I have a Nav IV also paired to the bike and an iPhone paired to the Nav IV. If I have the Nav IV off I get the bikes audio through my helmet fine. If however the Nav IV is powered on all I get is audio from the Nav IV. I was under the impression that the Nav IV would override the music or mute it then allow it to play once the GPS announcement was finished. Is there something I need to do to get both GPS audio and the bikes audio working together with my helmet?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #1038
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Im not sure if this should be here or equipment. I have a BWM communication system in my helmet paired to the bikes radio system. I have a Nav IV also paired to the bike and an iPhone paired to the Nav IV. If I have the Nav IV off I get the bikes audio through my helmet fine. If however the Nav IV is powered on all I get is audio from the Nav IV. I was under the impression that the Nav IV would override the music or mute it then allow it to play once the GPS announcement was finished. Is there something I need to do to get both GPS audio and the bikes audio working together with my helmet?
Take a look over here - lots of discussion about how to get the RT's BT to play nice with others.... with very little success. I just bypass the RT altogether and run the NavIV and iPhone to my Sena SMH10.

RT BT discussion on BMW Luxury Touring forum

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #1039
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Agent View Post
Howdy, a friend of mine died last Fall while riding his '07 RT. The section of road he was on wasn't particularly tough and his riding partners said that he wasn't riding particularly aggressively. All we really know is that he went down in a turn, he slid across about 20 yards of shoulder, and the bike and he struck a tree. Has anyone heard of brake failures or lock-ups with '07 RT's? We'll never bring him back, but we're still trying to establish some closure and make sense of it. Thanks!
I find this question to be suspicious. No informed motorcyclist would ever suggest that brakes would simply lock up unprovoked for any reason (if that is what you suggest) The whole system is hydraulic and requires mechanical force (pulling lever) to be applied in order for the pads to grab the disc. Even on the servo assisted RT's. Spontaneous, unprovoked braking without rider input is practically impossible. Many factors could have lead to this crash. Speed, corner entry, road surface, target fixation. "Not riding aggressively" does not mean that a new rider suddenly finds himself way over his skill level going into a decreasing radius corner, or any other corner for that matter. By your comments there appeared to be other folks riding that day - none of them crashed in the same corner? This would perhaps suggest that the road surface was clear of debris? How experienced was your friend? It is very hard to answer these questions without all of the facts.
If you are a trolling lawyer, please leave. If not, I hope that some of the very thorough explanations here will help you find some peace.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #1040
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
I'm currently in the market for a sport tourer and figured I'd ask you guys some questions.

I currently have a multistrada 1200 which I love except for it's insane maintenance and horrible wind protection. I'm looking to replace it with something a little bit better suited to long distance riding without giving up too much in the handling department. I try to ride "the pace" as described by Nick Ienatsch, so a monster of an engine isn't really that critical. Good handling however is a major requirement. All of the traditional ST bikes I've ridden (C14/FJR) have decent handling for big high powered luxury touring motorcycles but once you start pushing them even moderately hard in the corners they start to have issues. From what I've seen, the relatively light weigh and short wheelbase of the r1200 series compared to the bigger ST bikes leads them to excel in the handling and cornering departments. The few times I've ridden behind a properly motivated rider on a GS or RT they've ridden at a significantly quicker pace than I expected.

Is my assumption correct, or is does the RT still handle like a big luxury touring motorcycle?

Another question: For those who have ridden both, which would you rather take down a twisty (paved) canyon road? An R1200GSA or an R1200RT. Which would you rather take on a multi day motorcycle camping trip?

Last question, how is the wind protection on the RT for a someone with a TALL torso. I'm 6'4 with a measly 34'' inseam which has lead to endless frustration with buffeting on the mts1200. Am I correct in assuming that the RT is going to have vastly superior wind protection than the GSA?
Dude,
The RT is the best bike ever. Seriously, it is ridiculously good. Just go ride one. Most dealers have a Demo bike. You will find that it is exactly what you are looking for. The wind protection is crazy good (way better than the GS BTW) the suspension, brakes and handling are amazing. The 2010 engine has plenty of power, and the low speed handling as well is fantastic. Don't take my word for it, just go ride it. See for yourself. It handles NOTHING like a big touring rig. It's tight, holds a line and is silly easy to ride. I use mine for camping all the time. I can ride that thing for 12-14 hours. If you are going to spend most of the time on the road, get the RT. (Like you were going to take your italian princess off the road anyway!!)
Report back after your test ride corporal!!
Cheers.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #1041
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspice1972 View Post
Take a look over here - lots of discussion about how to get the RT's BT to play nice with others.... with very little success. I just bypass the RT altogether and run the NavIV and iPhone to my Sena SMH10.

Hee hee, you and I obviously track the same forums! I was about to post the link when I saw yours!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #1042
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
I don't have any problems with the stock seat, but have only put about 700 miles on the bike with the longest ride barely an hour. If I can go a full tank of gas on the stock seat, that should suffice. I'll have to sit on a comfort seat one of these days...
I've used the stock seats on my past two RTs, but decided (at at 66) that my ass deserved a nicer seat....so I ordered a seat rebuild from Rick Mayer.....that is supposed to be delivered in another 10 days or so. But generally, the RT's stock seat is better than any other stock seat I've ever had....the one on the Triger 800 is the WORST I've ever had, and was replaced within 2000 miles with a Corbin!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #1043
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:

Take a look at my posts at that link today......I have just about decided to do the same thing.....I thought the speakers on the RT were "adequate for my needs" so I could just use them, and get GPS BT audio to the Sena SMH10. First I'll give the "Sena to RT pairing" a try, but if there are problems, I'll just do as you did.

Not to pollute this forum, as it's better covered on the BMW LT forum, but how is your NavIV connected to the RT? Wired connection?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #1044
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Look what followed me home the other day:

Heck, that's Midnight Blue, right? We did the same thing within days of each other! If not for the seat (mine is stock so far) I could claim your photos as mine!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #1045
zenduddhist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Very nice! Congratulations!
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200e
2010 Triumph T-100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Honda CB1100
2013 Vespa GTV300E
zenduddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #1046
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
I still have the stock shield (which kind of sucks for me 6'1" 32 inseam) so can`t say about wind & buffiting until i spend some buck on a better one.
I replaced the stock WS on my 2000 1100RT with a Cee Bailey +3.5 inch Euro cut--with a slight flip up on the upper edge plus the extra height, it's made all the difference. At full extension, there is no more buffeting on the top of my helmet. I was concerned that it would be too tall, but it's not (I'm 5'11", 32 inseam). I did have to drill holes to accomodate the center posts in the WS mount brackets.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #1047
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,138
Does anyone have any experience with the Hyperpro lowering spring kit? It's supposed to be a straight spring swap that should drop the bike 30mm.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #1048
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
this thread and you lot are bloody bad news so much great info

i took an 1150 out for a spin yesterday

now please explain to me how the feck im going to get one past the petticoat Government and into my garage

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #1049
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleChad View Post

...please explain to me how the feck im going to get one past the petticoat Government and into my garage

Simple Three Step Process:

1. It is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

2. Quid pro quo

3. Roses and chocolate when not expected tend to get forgiveness for most things. Or it can be used to get "Attaboy" point accruals. Just remember that one "OH S**T" uses up all accrued "Attaboy".

PLAN B: (use in case the 3-step process fails)

1. Obtain desired motorcycle, and a fancy multi-speed bicycle.

2. Park motorcycle in a rental storage shed about a mile away from your house.

3. Tell SO that you are going for a ride on your new bicycle. Ride around and end up at the motorcycle storage shed. Get on motorcycle and ride, then reverse process after some reasonable amount of time.

NOTES ABOUT PLAN B:

Be absolutely certain that your ride route does not intersect any location your SO might be in the family car. Getting discovered in this manner is really bad (Officially this is an "OH S**T" ) and will probably result in divorce. A neighbor of mine had this problem.

Of course, he now has a 30 foot go-fast boat with 3 huge Mercury engines on it, and the nice "decorations" to go with it. Not too sure if this makes it a problem or a benefit.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #1050
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,417
^ ^