Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #1141
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Thats what I was afraid of - venturing into the subjective territory. Ah well time to start experimenting.
My experience with windscreen protection started when I bought my 2000 RT a couple of years ago. At that time it had an Aeroflow screen on it which did a good job of protection all the way around. I did a 2500 mi. trip that summer and had no complaints. A couple of months later I noticed a crack between the mounting fasteners, aka replacement time. I put a stock shield on it and experienced the same thing you have. I'm 6'3 and a 34" inseam and with the stock shield on it I couldn't find a position that either provided adequate protection or eliminated the helmet buffeting. I ended up with a Cee Baileys, euro cut, 2 1/2" taller shield. I just finished a 3000 mi. trip last week and am overall happy with it. Only nick is the protection doesn't completely cover my shoulders, noticed one morning when the temp was hovering asround freezing. The Cee Bailey is made of a thicker material and shouild be more durable, it also gives me that cone of silence that I really appreciate during those 10 and 12 hour days on the road.

Good luck

1982 Suzuki GS850G The "Zook"
2000 BMW R1100RT
bbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #1142
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjumper View Post
My experience with windscreen protection started when I bought my 2000 RT a couple of years ago. At that time it had an Aeroflow screen on it which did a good job of protection all the way around. I did a 2500 mi. trip that summer and had no complaints. A couple of months later I noticed a crack between the mounting fasteners, aka replacement time. I put a stock shield on it and experienced the same thing you have. I'm 6'3 and a 34" inseam and with the stock shield on it I couldn't find a position that either provided adequate protection or eliminated the helmet buffeting. I ended up with a Cee Baileys, euro cut, 2 1/2" taller shield. I just finished a 3000 mi. trip last week and am overall happy with it. Only nick is the protection doesn't completely cover my shoulders, noticed one morning when the temp was hovering asround freezing. The Cee Bailey is made of a thicker material and shouild be more durable, it also gives me that cone of silence that I really appreciate during those 10 and 12 hour days on the road.

Good luck
I had the same set up. Stock first, followed by an Aeroflow, a Cee Bailey Eurocut and now a Cee Bailey #3. The #3 gives me the perfecdt wind protection and bubble of silence that I want. I leave it on year round and ride from freezing temps all the way up to africa hot with no problems. I cut out the top of my #3 to match the upper contour of my Eurocut shield and I like that set up quite a bit. It works great!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #1143
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post

I ran Pilot Power 2CT up front and Pilot Road 3 rear, down around 30/31 PSI hot. Tires weren't the issue, I was pretty consistently dragging the right side crashbar mainly at 100+ around Riverside sweeper at Buttonwillow, but also the left side on a couple corners and have a new scrape on the right side valve cover
With proper body position, you could corner faster without dragging hard parts. Skid marks are not something to brag about.
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #1144
RGR007
n00b

Oddometer: 8
New RT guy in S.E. in Pa

New to the forum and the RT. 2013 RT with 4,600 miles on the clock.

RGR007 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 04:39 PM
RGR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #1145
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR007 View Post
New to the forum and the RT. 2013 RT with 4,600 mile on the clock.

Very nice . Looks like a cool day , what was the temp.? Windy ?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #1146
wvpc1
AKA: Bill

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBADV View Post
Very nice . Looks like a cool day , what was the temp.? Windy ?
Is that bike lowered? How comfortable is the low seat? Looks like a MI plate.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #1147
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,557
I brought my RT home on Saturday. Love the ride, was a little cramped in the saddle. Turns out, the seat was in the low position and I had to remove the aftermarket backrest to get it to the high position. So I did that. Scored a set of Suburban Machinery peg lowering brackets and added my air hawk that I used with my Buell.

Perfect.

My knees do not touch any plastic and I do not feel like I am wedged into place. I am going to really enjoy riding this motorcycle. Love the manners in town and the way it handles out on the road.

I am looking for a set of lowering brackets for the passenger pegs (Bon Bon is also a tall drink of water), if someone has a set they are not using, drop me a PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #1148
RGR007
n00b

It was a cool day, in the 40's

Yes, it's a lowered suspension as I'm vertically challenged. I find the seat comfortable and can spend the whole day on the bike with no problems.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #1149
barnyard
Verbal tactician

My day was in the high 30's. Cannot get over the wind protection and how comfy the ride was even at 38. I found myself getting kind of warm in town, sitting at lights.

I have drunk the Kool Aid and it is tasty.

barnyard screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 07:35 AM
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #1150
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,147
My wife often claims she's warmer on her RT than off it standing around. This shot from last July up on Red Mountain Pass Colorado US Route 550.

wrong side of the road
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #1151
RGR007
n00b

FlagRS, Great picture!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #1152
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR007 View Post
FlagRS, Great picture!
Thanks RG

In this shot you can see how much coverage and protection from the elements the RT provides. In fact she rides with summer gloves year round.

FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #1153
barnyard
Verbal tactician

I have a dilemma.

I bought a trunk here on the FM and then a full set of luggage locally that I found on CL. The CL luggage was locked, so I took it to the local dealer and the 1st key I grabbed out of the box of keys, unlocked them. I took out the contents (they came with liners and a tankbag, which is why I bought them.) and left the trunk with the dealer to be rekeyed to my ignition key.

Still with me???

My daughter picked up the case Friday and the key will pop the handle, allowing me to install it on the rack, but does not pop the latch allowing the case to open. It appears that when they took the case apart to rekey, they put it together incorrectly and something is not lining up. The case is shut and there does not appear to be any way of opening it.

Is the dealer going to be able to fix this????
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #1154
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
I have a dilemma.

I bought a trunk here on the FM and then a full set of luggage locally that I found on CL. The CL luggage was locked, so I took it to the local dealer and the 1st key I grabbed out of the box of keys, unlocked them. I took out the contents (they came with liners and a tankbag, which is why I bought them.) and left the trunk with the dealer to be rekeyed to my ignition key.

Still with me???

My daughter picked up the case Friday and the key will pop the handle, allowing me to install it on the rack, but does not pop the latch allowing the case to open. It appears that when they took the case apart to rekey, they put it together incorrectly and something is not lining up. The case is shut and there does not appear to be any way of opening it.

Is the dealer going to be able to fix this????
Dang , that sux. Better get in touch with the dealer. Hopefully they can fix it.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #1155
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Easiest fix ever.

Service manager said that he doubted the top box had been used very much as the mechanism was hella sticky. He said use it a bunch and it will loosen up.

I like it.