Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #121
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpginc
I just purchased a 2002 RT1150 with 43,000 miles on it. The bike is great. Did my usual shake down and change out things to make it mine. The one thing that is still bother me is the throttle pull. It is kind of stiff. I lubed the cable, lubed the throttle on the bar and removed the side panels and lubed at the throttle bodies. I assume there is a cable splitter somewhere under the tank? Single cable and grip, then splits to each cylinder. Maybe the splitter is dry? Anyone had similar issues?

Remove the throttle tube and clean it as well as the bar. With 40k+ there has to be some grime in there.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #122
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Personally, I think the stock lights are pretty good on my R1150RT. The bike had PIAA aux lights on it when I bought it. One burned out and the other seemed to have a loose connection somewhere. When I found out how pricey the replacement bulbs are, I just took them off.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #123
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx
Since magnetic is obviously out of the question, what is the best choice for a tank bag?
I have an RKA 19 liter Shiloh Road that I like lots.

Schreckendgust Field
Florence, MT

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #124
JADM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Led light output

How much light output do you get from the led's ?

Doesn't add much light , but makes other road users more aware of my presence .........

JADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #125
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JADM
How much light output do you get from the led's ?

Doesn't add much light , but makes other road users more aware of my presence .........

The manufacturer claims the approximate light output of a 50 watt halogen bulb. The benefit of the LED, though, is very little heat build up, much longer bulb life, about 1/4th the current draw, and the output is controllable by means of a handlebar mounted potentiometer. I'll post up pics this afternoon.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #126
Inprogress
Adventure forthcoming

Oddometer: 207
Stupid question

Folks of the RT threat, I need some opinions. This question is about as silly as asking which biscuit is better than the rest, however, one many times find wisdom in such replies. I have a dilemma in choice of bike for the near future. I am stuck between either a R80RT, R100RT, or the R1100R over the R1100RT because I really like a motorcycle where the mirrors still clamp to the handlebars, coming from a D/S background. I did own a G/S some moons ago which I sold to my brother-in-law for ergonomic reasons. My fondness of the airheads and the boxer engine hasn't diminished.

I want a bike which I will use on long asphalt stretches, on those trips where it isn't so much about the journey, but rather about the destination, as un-adventure-like as it is, sometimes these trips do come your way. I like the thought of the R80RT (purring along) merely because I had the G/S, hence I know the engine and to my understanding it is a tad smoother than the 1000cc version. The fairing is great for getting that force of your chest. As I mentioned, the R1100R is more to my liking than the R1100RT due to the more simplistic look of the R over the RT. I suppose the fact that I can remove the windscreen from a 1100R is also a plus since I then sit with a naked bike for commuting. Interesting, I am not really sure what I am asking...

Please give me your experiences regarding the R80RT/R100RT/R1100RT/R1100R, especially if you had more than one model over the years. The business that the bike will attend to is to travel to a destination, which in South Africa, regarding my current location in this sunny country, no more than 1500km at the most. This distance will not be done in one day however, but it will be nice if I could - throwing out the airheads already? There are a few examples of R80RT's around in very good nic, with the luggage as well. There is a 1100R available with a windscreen. RT's are also bound at fair prices, and best part is, one can find a good 1100 version at about 50% more than a R80 version; from that little bit of market research my dilemma.

What would you suggest given your experiences and my intended use. It will be like a car to get me from A to B out of town, meaning cruising at 120km/h on average. It will not really be a adventure tourer, however I know it does lend itself to touring very well (I will be getting a GS for that). The airhead choice does bother me in terms of ergonomics given my G/S experience. And yes, I will ultimately do a nice long ride with each bike on my shortlist before I decide (R80/100RT, R1100RT/R1100R). If you like, you could throw in a curve-ball and say something like "get yourself a R90S and you can thank me later".

I thank you in advance for entertaining this silly thought of comparing bikes based on other user experiences and paper, and not by seat of my own pants.

P.S. I do plan to add more motorcycles as time goes by, no more will I sell one bike to buy another. This bike acquisition will be in the near future and will help in growing my business as I will travel across the country every so often prospecting new clients.

P.S.S I heard the R1100RT panniers is but a hair to small to accept a helmet?

Democracy and politics is a conflict of interest
Inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #127
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress
P.S.S I heard the R1100RT panniers is but a hair to small to accept a helmet?
I've hauled a small helmet in one of my System Cases. My large Arai probably wouldn't fit.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #128
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Just traded my LT for an 1200RT. This is my first boxer and I am loving it!

The LT was heavy, really heavy. Around town it was no fun and the engine needed to rev to work effectively. I never really had any love for the big beast. Not so with the RT, it's light and agile and the engine pulls well from down low. I find myself having difficulty staying below the speed limit with the RT as it just does not feel like you are going very fast.
A ride on one of the many twisty roads in my area today I found myself going much quicker than usual, the bike responds wonderfully in the twistys, smooth and fast.
Wind protection is great and I'm much more comfortable on the RT's seat, the LT was a torture rack for me (6'4" tall) and after 100 or so miles I was done.
Best trade I ever made, my RT is going to be around for a long time.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #129
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,583
Congratulations on the new ride. The mere thought of 800
pounds of LT is intimidating to me. Heck the thought of 600
pounds of RT concerned me before purchasing mine. All concern
soon went out the window on my ride home from the dealer.
I'm still surprised how agile this pig is. Slow going through
the twisties is the riders fault, not my bike's.:lol

now how 'bout some pics of your new beast?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #130
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr

now how 'bout some pics of your new beast?

Sure!

beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #131
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,170
I'm seriously leaning toward a brand new 1200RT but, damn-it the colors are not very appealing to me....I'd like the the Ostra Grey with the full compliment of "dark colored" trim but, doesn't seem possible.

The polar metalic

and black bikes don't really work for me, as I ride too much, park outside infrequently wash them, etc.

Maybe BWW is going to save me some money by having to buy a used one.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #132
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge
I'm seriously leaning toward a brand new 1200RT but, damn-it the colors are not very appealing to me....I'd like the the Ostra Grey with the full compliment of "dark colored" trim but, doesn't seem possible.

The polar metalic

and black bikes don't really work for me, as I ride too much, park outside infrequently wash them, etc.

Maybe BWW is going to save me some money by having to buy a used one.
I agree about the colors, but then I saw this color scheme. Most of the exposed surfaces that face forward are lighter-colored.

I rarely ever clean my bikes other than a spray cleaner. I find the RT a lot easier to wipe down than my previous bikes because there are so many smooth surfaces.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #133
dpginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
2002 Rt

I just recently picked up a 2002 1150RT, 44,000miles for the bargain price of $4,500. It has a Corbin seat, Remus Exhaust and new chip. I NEVER thought I would like a touring bike like this! I rode sport bikes for years. This bike is so smooth and handles so nice, I am amazed. Tuesday I took off for a two day ride, stopped twice in 2 hours in two different states. First time, off with verbal warning, second one was 20 over and $190. CRAP. Cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going, I said no, just cruising along. He smiled.

It is no rocket ship or race bike. It is just well balanced, nice smooth power, and plenty of wind protection. Oh.....and the brakes are great. All this makes it hard to tell you are on a big bike.
dpginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #134
JADM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
black loks too dirty

too bad they don't offer the RT in the same color as they have made the GSA (light grey/dark grey) would be perfect for those of us who drive a lot and don't clean the bike often
JADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #135
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper
Sure!

Wow- what a great paint scheme-

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote