Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #151
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I must admit, I've been spending all my time learning how to ride my new bike and neglecting the old stuff.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #152
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Neil, the shocks that are on the Team TY are of some mystery origin that came bolted to my personal TY when I bought it 2 years ago. They are rather hefty, and appear to come from either a VW dune buggy or a Harley-Davidson based chopper. I think chopper, because the yellow paint on the springs is chipping off revealing chrome underneath....

Although they could be '70's Baja Bug front shocks (they came with chrome springs also, if memory serves)......

Point is, who knows? They fit (Barely. The swingarm is at full extension with the shocks statically installed), and they hold up to our fatass heft. The cool aftermarket Falcon shocks we bought to replace the originals that seized after a year of silliness barfed after one competition. I'm still worried about frame breakage, but not even a crack has appeared after a year of buffoonery competition with them. I'd love to give you an application or even a part number, but I simply have no idea of their origin.

Anyone out there recognize these???

brewtus screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 05:11 PM
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #153
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
and any other mods that need to be done so hefty elderly gentlemen can ride the TY reliably. Not that you or any of the NM Team TY80 are hefty elderly gentlemen.

Just paid attention to the second half of this post. Believe me, we are both elderly and (except Hammer) hefty.

Look closely to the peg mounts and pegs on the first pic I posted-

Those are Beta Rev3 pegs and mounts bolted to custom-made brackets fabbed from quarter-inch plate steel. Bobby Rowland of BR Motorsports fabbed those up when he owned the bike and make them for his kid when he was outgrowing the TY years ago. The League bought the bike with those on it, and is the main reason that we can do stupid stuff on it (none of us can ride a stock pegged TY like this!!). Want the measurements???
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #154
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, what I've got so far: mystery shocks, Rev 3 pegs. Easy enough!
13 Factory Beta 250
Old 01-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #155
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Ok, what I've got so far: mystery shocks, Rev 3 pegs. Easy enough!

Don't forget custom fabricated peg mounts.

I'm here to help!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #156
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Snapped a couple of pics of this gem at the last NMTA event. It's owned and restored by NMTA member Ron Shoemaker, and his granddaughter rides it in competition. I'm trying to get him to ride it in competition with the League, but he is not going for it for some reason.

This bike was once ridden by NATC Expert phenom Nathan Hassler (see first post in this thread) when Nathan first started Trials as a little kid. Ron did a first-class job on the restoration. Looks good!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #157
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Don't forget custom fabricated peg mounts.

I'm here to help!
Thank's Brewtus, those are pretty good pics. I may be able to figure out the placement of the pegs from them but measurements would come in handy. I may have to use some other hangers though. Do you plan on coming to Texas for the National? I had hoped to get to New Mexico by now but holy crap I been busy and broke! I got a TY175 project too. Looks like a total motor teardown so that one is going to take awhile! I should take pics and do a thread on it but I have to borrow a camera. What are people doing for frame paint? I know a powder coater but don't know if thats the best route or not.
13 Factory Beta 250
Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #158
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Thank's Brewtus, those are pretty good pics. I may be able to figure out the placement of the pegs from them but measurements would come in handy. I may have to use some other hangers though. Do you plan on coming to Texas for the National? I had hoped to get to New Mexico by now but holy crap I been busy and broke! I got a TY175 project too. Looks like a total motor teardown so that one is going to take awhile! I should take pics and do a thread on it but I have to borrow a camera. What are people doing for frame paint? I know a powder coater but don't know if thats the best route or not.

I am still undecided about the National. If I can get a couple of bikes sold by then, maybe.

I'll get you the measurements. MooMoo (Lance) has been riding the '80 in Twinshock along with our League silliness. I noticed this morning that the rear tire is flat, so it's on the list to get fixed this weekend.

On my personal TY, I just rattle-canned the frame. Ron probably did a pro spray-job on his, I don't know. I have no problem with powder coating, it just seemed a bit much for a bike I was just going to beat the snot out of.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #159
msdtyu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
ok this may be a little off topic but whats the diffrence between the ty80 and gt80? other then the seat and the exhaust? thanks, i ask because i have a nice gt80 that i leaned to ride on last year and i wanted to know if theres any mods that are really reccomended for these bikes? i already read through the rest of the thread and its crazy what your doing on your yammies! thanks for reading this (if you did haha)
msdtyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #160
WPRider
Colorado Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
TY80/TY175/TY250 Parts?

Anyone know where I can get parts for my TY80s/TY175/and TY250?
Specifically, I need a new (or machined) main carb jet for my '73 TY250. This would be a very easy part to machine, if I were a machinist.

Also looking for advice on lining the fuel tank of one of my TY80s...final step in the restoration, besides cleaning carbs.

Located in Winter Park, CO.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #161
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Ran across this beautifully resto-modded example at the National in Texas last month. Greg "The Hammer" Arrants is shown here seeing if there is anything the Team TY needs off of it.

Another shot-

Nicely done TY. The owner's camp partner recognized me (I guess we're famous now?? ) and told his buddy not to take me up on the invite to ride with us sometime. Wonder why??
Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #162
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPRider View Post
Anyone know where I can get parts for my TY80s/TY175/and TY250?
Specifically, I need a new (or machined) main carb jet for my '73 TY250. This would be a very easy part to machine, if I were a machinist.

Also looking for advice on lining the fuel tank of one of my TY80s...final step in the restoration, besides cleaning carbs.

Located in Winter Park, CO.

B&J racing-

http://www.bjracing.com/

or Speed and Sport Vintage-

http://www.speedandsport.com/trials/yamaha/

Or if you are not afraid to order overseas-

http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/index.html

On lining the TY80 tank- Unless it has holes in it, don't. If it has holes in it, find another on Craig's or Fleabay. My 2 cents.

Can of worms, OPEN!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #163
yamty175
5 every section

Oddometer: 56
Tank Liner.

Caswells make a two-part epoxy for tanks. Think it is called gts 1750. There is a good step by step guide with pics somewhere on this site.
yamty175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #164
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamty175 View Post
Caswells make a two-part epoxy for tanks. Think it is called gts 1750. There is a good step by step guide with pics somewhere on this site.
The problem with many tank liners, (there was a demovideo I saw somehwere of a blot better liner, cant recall the product or the link, and it may well be what the poster above me is pointing tooo?) But, if is isnt really really good stuff, they will come loose inside when you bash/dent or even thump the tank (when if flexes too much without denting... )

then you have a whole new mess on your hands. I suggest filling wilth 1/10th of a tank full or less, with gravel of at least bb size, heck We did bb's even... And shaking the tank without mercy. maybe you could tie it inside a cement mixer or devise your own apparatus, it will clean inside like a sand blaster...

then just make sure you run a good fuel filter all the time, and have spare ones... be prepard to have an issue or 2 on first couple tanks while cleaning the new "dirt out"... after a while you get the rust out, keep the tank full of oily fuel...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #165
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Got a couple of NMTA members on the Team TY this past weekend while practicing at a friends house.

NMTrailboss, who once swore he would never ride it-

Odd that, considering he rode it very well!

And GG, who we helped out not that long ago in Novice. He now rides Advanced.

Fun times on an old rickety mini-trialer.