Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan

To those who carry while riding, have you practiced shooting and jam clearing with your riding gloves on? Something to think about.
I don't carry a firearm while riding to shoot something while riding. I carry it to protect myself when I get where I'm going.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 656
I use one of those elastic band types - holds one gun - foward or back - front or rear - high or low + one mag. Wear it usually high under my jacket like a cross draw.
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #18
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,211
I carry in the top of my Jesse bag so it is available when I stop and get off the bike. I'm not going to get in a shootout while riding. Use the bike to get away and avoid a confrontation. Ride or shoot, not both at the same time. Review Clint Smith's lessons on this subject.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #19
Bear Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Milt Sparks VersaMax II
Bear Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Beef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
I use one of those mr. happy puppets from aerostich with some coffee beans so any sniffer dogs can't get a clue..works for me
I don't think that's the type of carrying the OP was talking about

Personally, I'm paranoid about landing on my Glock if I prematurely dismount, so I don't carry while riding. Perhaps when I get some lockable luggage, I'll start carrying after I get off the bike.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu
I don't carry a firearm while riding to shoot something while riding. I carry it to protect myself when I get where I'm going.
Then there is no reason to carry on your person while riding and put yourself at added risk of injury during a fall.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #22
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan
Then there is no reason to carry on your person while riding and put yourself at added risk of injury during a fall.
Transitioning from luggage to person can be awkward, tactically revealing, possibly alarming to someone who sees you (say going into a bank, etc.) and increases the handling of a gun that might otherwise just stay put under your garments.

There's arguments for having it on you, and off, and no right answer.

I choose to carry a small gun while on the bike, and keep it at my 12 oclock position over my belly...figuring that I'm not likely to land on my stomach, and there are no bones or hard tissue there to injure. I've fallen off the bike hundreds of times on trails and it's never hurt or caused an issue.

Just gotta make your compromise, and live with it. The one I'm not willing to make is being defenseless in my travels. YMMV.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #23
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
Just gotta make your compromise, and live with it. The one I'm not willing to make is being defenseless in my travels. YMMV.
I'm not suggesting anyone be defenseless.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 734
I hate to say it but most of the time I end up carrying my Kel-tec 380 just because its easy. One thing that doesn't work very well is one of those undershirts with the pocket under the armpit. Works well otherwise but on a long ride with a Beretta 9000 .40 was pretty uncomfortable.
Midnightventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,851
Either a Kahr PM9 or PM40 fit very nicely in the cargo pocket of my Motoport pants carried in a very basic Desantis Nemesis, or a similar Galco version in roughout leather at all times while dressed to ride.

My Glock 27 fitted with a GAP magazine base plate has a little more snug fit in the same sort of holster in the cargo pockets as well.

Dirty
Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #26
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,375
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef
I don't think that's the type of carrying the OP was talking about

Personally, I'm paranoid about landing on my Glock if I prematurely dismount, so I don't carry while riding. Perhaps when I get some lockable luggage, I'll start carrying after I get off the bike.
Yeah..I know..just being a smart ass..I suppose If I did carry it would be under my jacket in one of those under arm, cool ass, Bruce Willis style holster deals..but the idea of carrying a weapon in the US or Canada is kinda silly to me..kinda like carrying bear spray in Key West....more weight and more responsibility when I'm trying to have fun..not trying to be anti...just sayin' what works for me.. Carry On
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #27
gunz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I have my CCW I carry everywhere I go.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Pocket holster in jacket or pants (can be easily transferred to off-bike clothing on a bathroom, hotel room, etc.) or Ken Null SKR City Slicker shoulder holster.

The only downside to the Null is that you have to have your jacket open, or at least mostly unzipped.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #29
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
"fag bag"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondul
Sorry, but nothing says "I have a gun" more than a fag bag....
This is exactly how I carry...have for years. Lets do the math here; Only LEOs and crooks (well, some other armed citizens too) will know you are packing. If you are carrying legal you have nothing to fear from the LEO. The crook knowing I am prepared is most likely to leave me alone. I just don't see a problem with that.

Most folks are as clueless about firearms as they are about driving their cages and will not notice. IMHO a fanny pack is the safest least obvious way to carry concealed on a bike. And yes I have crashed (trip to the ER) while wearing my rig (Glock 21).
Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #30
Missouri Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu

.....or when you break down in the middle of nowhere and some locals or the pit bull at the house that you are walking by, decide they want to have a little fun at your expense.
Missouri Man is offline   Reply With Quote