Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #46
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
See, that is a classic straw man argument. Yes, operating a weapon while wearing motorcycle equipment might be difficult (not impossible, but foolish to depend on w/o practice, I agree). But you argue that since that is difficult, there could be no other purpose other than incurring additional injury, and that is simply not true. The fact that you benefit from avoiding open transfer is completely lost on your argument. It makes your routine more manageable, and that in itself is an every day convenience and tactical benefit that some feel is worth the risk of potential injury. The purpose it serves is obviously valued by at least the original poster.

Furthermore, the infliction of additional injury that you refer to is solely a risk, not a certainty. Some would argue it is a pretty remote risk at that. Concealed carry is an activity riddled with inconveniences, responsibility, and risk. The possibility of additional injury can be viewed as yet another risk/responsiblity one bears w/ the right.

Of course your mileage may vary, which is why looking at how to do it is worth a discussion.
Good post, you articulated it better than I could.

I said it earlier, I carry on my person while dual sporting, and trail riding. I've wrecked and came off the bike so many times I cannot count, and the gun has NEVER, NOT ONCE, been a factor in my wreck or injured me.

Could it? Sure, but if you carry the right gun the right way, it's remote and what's more valuable to me is to have it where it's always on my person and does not require me to openly transition at every stop (or worse leave it on the bike for fear of transition).

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #47
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
I feel sorry for those who feel the need to carry a gun. Living in fear must be a drag.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #48
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan
To those who carry while riding, have you practiced shooting and jam clearing with your riding gloves on?
Revolvers jam?
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #49
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth
I feel sorry for those who feel the need to carry a gun. Living in fear must be a drag.
Are you able to fit all that moral superiority and snootiness into a tankbag and panniers, or do you find that you need a tractor-trailer to follow you around when you ride?

There are lots of places in the world that aren't as PEACEful as Bend, OR, friend.

Try living in a few before you tell us how braver and better-adjusted you are than us.
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #50
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,209
Quote:
I feel sorry for those that spend their time being all smug about feeling sorry for others who are gettin by just fine. People who don't live their lives in fear, just people who prepare themselves to face some dangers that you seem unequipped to ever face.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #51
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,750
Quote:
Fire extinguishers, first aid kits, smoke alarms, etc.

You have any of these?

Fought a fire lately? Had to close a massive wound, applied a tourniquet?

Can you draw the parallels? You're more likely to suffer violence by road rage than you are having a house fire. Know that?

The thing is, when you have preparations for the bad things in life, you actually live in less fear....cause (drumroll), you're not a sheep hoping for the best anymore. I carry a gun for the worst extreme...and will be very happy if I never ever use it.

What's your plan for someone who will kill you for the contents of your wallet? Yeah, thought so.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #52
sam3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
j frame in a kramer pocket holster in front right pants pocket or a med. frame glock in a don hume agent nine belt holster.
sam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #53
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
Quote:
BAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH said the SHEEP!

Who is gonna be the first responder when you get mugged, beaten and left for dead??? The police are at least minutes away. Minutes you may not have!

G27 in Ankle, or IWB.

I will be the first responder if I ever need one!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #54
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Smug attitudes tend not to impress robbers.

You'll need something slighty more intimidating should the worst occur.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #55
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgell
I everyday carry a J-frame

What type of rounds do you use in the J frame?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 AM   #56
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Carry

I do not live in fear. The reason I choose to carry is because of the Crack-Head individuals out there. Anyone that thinks it's crazy to carry must not watch the news or read a newspaper. I promise you,if you meet a guy from Boaz,AL on a 950 Adventure he is packing.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #57
ohiodualsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I agree that fag bags scream gun, but when I'm on the bike I use an old AXO motorcycle style fanny pack for tools. (besides...it goes with the clothing I'm wearing) No one gives it a second look thinking its just tools. That way its always on my person. Falling on it is no different than falling on tools.
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1981 Honda Xl500S
!986 Husky 510
!974 Yamaha TY250
1974 Suzuki TC185 Ranger
Too many others....
ohiodualsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #58
ziepan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 608
Makes me think of old bikers stories I have heard about the "Executioner Bike" with the left-handed throttle. Lol

I have never tried to pack a gun on a motorcycle just in a backpack. I have tried on a couple of different shoulder holsters but they just never felt good and really didn't seen to conceal the gun.

I used to pack a gun around a lot, not so much these days on a few places in the woods that get a lot of sketchy people in the summer. My feelings on packing a gun in the US are mixed after knowing a few people that got in predicaments and had to use a gun and ended up doing time in prison for it or going through very expensive and lengthy criminal trails to prove they were innocent of felonies.

The reality of using a gun to defend your self in the US is you very well might end up in prison if the police become involved. In your own home in most states you are usually covered but out on the streets? Hope you can afford a jury trail or get you piece to the bottom of the lake.

But I do love my L frames.. I have been in few bad situations and I put my hand around my S&W and it was priceless to know it was there..
ziepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #59
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu
I feel sorry for those that spend their time being all smug about feeling sorry for others who are gettin by just fine. People who don't live their lives in fear, just people who prepare themselves to face some dangers that you seem unequipped to ever face.
Oh, his reaction is nothing in the big scheme of things. If you want to really poke the hornet's nest, post about carrying in the bicycling forums.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #60
healeyblue
Old and Cunning

Oddometer: 73
JFrame carry

I carry a J Frame in a Pocket Holster. Use Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Been carrying for 40 years. Never drawn the weapon. Still carry. Never understood why anyone would be concerned that I did carry. I was a Boy Scout. "Always be prepared".
healeyblue is offline   Reply With Quote