User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
storymitchell OP
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,230
Recommend car tires for an R75/5?

I'm in the process of buying an R75/5 with a sidecar. The current owner runs motorcycle tires, and says the back tire will need to be replaced soon. I keep seeing references to running car tires on bikes with sidecars. Can someone point me at one or more web pages that talk about the pros and cons of doing this? And share any opinions you have?

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Gary Stofer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
There is an 18" motorcycle tire designed for sidecar use. It's a Metzler Block K and has a flat tread profile. Only size available is 4.00 X 18. Try this URL
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/produ...eda.asp?ID=136

Gary in Sacramento
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
storymitchell OP

I'm kicking around the tire thoughts. I have a friend with an R90/2 and a TR500 and he was adamant in not using the K series tires and sticking with regular motorcycle tires. His point was that with the K tires you're stuck keeping all three tires on the ground. With motorcycle tires you can fly the sidecar whenever it seems appropriate. Not having previously owned a bike with a sidecar, though, I'm not sure how often I'll feel the need to (voluntarily) fly the sidecar.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by storymitchell
I'm kicking around the tire thoughts. I have a friend with an R90/2 and a TR500 and he was adamant in not using the K series tires and sticking with regular motorcycle tires. His point was that with the K tires you're stuck keeping all three tires on the ground. With motorcycle tires you can fly the sidecar whenever it seems appropriate. Not having previously owned a bike with a sidecar, though, I'm not sure how often I'll feel the need to (voluntarily) fly the sidecar.
Once you get started flying the sidecar, you won't be able to stop. just like wheelies, once you get it down(or up) you'll be doing it at every opportunity
I've got a friend who delights in riding blocks at a time with the sidecar flying. His goal is to see if the wheel will smoke when he sets it down
Old 10-29-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
I've used both standard tires and the Metzler sidecar tires on my outfit, and I wouldn't bother with the "special flat tread" tires again. They wore out more quickly, had dismal rain performance, slid easily on dry pavement, and made no improvement to the handling or stability of the hack. I ran one on just the rear, and once used them both front and back- my advice is to stick with a regular street tread.
There was no difference if flying the chair, really- but if you use one on the front the steering will be heavier and get a little odd feeling near full lock. I don't think you will be able to use car tires without changing all of the rims and making some major changes to the swingarm and front end to accomodate the extra tire width.
In the winter months I use dual sport tires with car studs in them (I have a studding tool and put them in myself) The contact patch is small because of the round tire profile, and they can't take running low pressures very well due to the outfit's overall weight, but they still give enough traction in the snow and ice to be fun.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
storymitchell OP

I think I'll go with regular motorcycle tires. My focus right now is going to be learning to ride in a straight line when accelerating or decelerating. Flying the car comes later, as does sliding backwards into a parking space (another trick performed by my sidecar flying friend).

Old 11-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 599
Hello again, Story,
I am currently running the Metzler K-block sidecar tire on the rear of my /5/Dnepr rig. I seems to break free on curvey roads rather easily, when cornering hard. I had an Avon tire on it preveously that I liked, but I don't have the model handy at the moment. It was made for classic bikes, and had a slightly flat profile that was good for sidecar use. It stuck a lot better than the Metzler. If your rig wears rear tires fast, then the Toe In is off. Contact me off list if you need any help with setting it up.
I'm running flat profile tires on all 3 wheels. It just make sense on a sidecar rig because you are not leaning at all. I do fly the chair occasionally, with no problem.
pfestus1@yahoo.com

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 599
Hello again, Story,
I am currently running the Metzler K-block sidecar tire on the rear of my /5/Dnepr rig. I seems to break free on curvey roads rather easily, when cornering hard. I had an Avon tire on it preveously that I liked, but I don't have the model handy at the moment. It was made for classic bikes, and had a slightly flat profile that was good for sidecar use. It stuck a lot better than the Metzler. If your rig wears rear tires fast, then the Toe In is off. Contact me off list if you need any help with setting it up.
I'm running flat profile tires on all 3 wheels. It just make sense on a sidecar rig because you are not leaning at all. I do fly the chair occasionally, with no problem.
pfestus1@yahoo.com

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote