User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Jersey to Alaska July 20th - Aug 10th 2014

So this trip has been on the calendar for a while and there is a chance could still change based on family events.

But the current plan is to leave Jersey Saturday July 19th and be home on August 10th. Figure that is a week out, a week in Alaska and a week back. Out or back could be less if I really push but planning a week each way. Other than that and going to Deadhorse there really is no plan, live by a schedule at work and can't stand to on vacation. Best trips have been point in a direction and go.

That said I have read Alcan Rider's Alaska and Haul Road Primers, great info by the way!! and plan to camp most of the time, though I may stop for a room especially if I stay longer and have to push longer days on the trip home.

Questions on route up through Canada, what are the best border crossings, best being quickest, least crowded. Quick check on google maps shoots up through ND to Saskatchewan? Is going further west to Montana or Washington easier? Also thought about further east and riding across Canada. Coming back might head through Montana and Wyoming to stop in Sturgis.

Any tips or suggestions, any must see's while I'm there or on the way. Any Alaskans want to give a tour or share a beer let me know. I am riding solo so any plans and decisions are up to me (and the road, and the weather).

Thanks-
Dennis
2006 Ridley Autoglide (Wife's)

flht_db screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 02:01 AM Reason: update date
flht_db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,803
Most of the western crossings that are not near a city are easy to use. We've used Sweet Grass on I15, Chief Mountain Crossing on Hwy 17 and Roosville on Hwy 93 in MT and Eastgate on Hwy 95 in ID all without any significant delay.

I recommend using the Cassiar Hwy in one direction and the Alcan in the other. Three possible routes:

1) Cross into Canada at Chief Mountain. Take Canada Hwy 6 to Pincher Creek to Hwy 3 west to Hwy 22. North on 22 to Longview then Hwy 40 to Canmore and Banff. Icefield Parkway to Jasper. At Jasper you can either continue west on Hwy 16 to the Cassiar, or head north on 16 thru Hinton and link-up with the Alcan.

2) Cross into Canada at Roosville. Stay on 93 to Radium Hot Springs then north on 93 thru the Kootenay National Park to the Icefield Parkway. Icefield Parkway to Jasper At Jasper you can either continue west on Hwy 16 to the Cassiar, or head north on 16 and link-up with the Alcan.

3) Get to Bonners Ferry, ID.; N95 to Hwy 1 vicinity Rykerts; Hwy 21 to Creston; Hwy 3A to Kootenay Bay; Ferry to Balfour (free); Hwy 31 to Hwy 6 to Nakusp; Hwy 23 to Galena; Ferry to Shelter Bay (free); Hwy 23 to Revelstoke; HWY 1 to Banff Park; HWY 93 to Jasper; HWY 16 (Yellowhead Hwy) to HWY 37 (Cassiar Hwy N.); Side trip to Hyder, AK (vic Meziadin Jct); HWY 37 north to the ALCAN vic Watson Lake.

GOOD LUCK.

By the way. By far the most dangerous part of your journey will be in Jersey. Be careful out there.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 921
All good advice

I like entering canada around Nelson / Canmore area. Montana area. Hit the hot springs once over the border. Head straight up to lake Louise onto the icefiields parkway into jasper. I then head to chetwind where I head to ft Nelson and on to ak.
A stop at liard hot springs, sign post forest, Skagway?,Whitehorse ....
After 20+ trips this is the one I like the most. Hyder is a cool town if/ when you take the Cassiar.
I live in the Denali area look me up when you get to town.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,924
Border Crossings, Quick Route

Coming from the East Coast, my recommendation would be to get to Fargo, ND by the shortest route (you can circle south of Chicago, or zip right through it at 0'dark thirty). From Fargo, west on I-94 to Jamestown and then north and west on US52 late at night to make good time to Minot. During the day (small towns on 52 will slow you down) continue west to Bismarck then north on US83 to Minot. From Minot, US52 to the Portal/North Portal crossing, then SK39 to Moosejaw, north to 11, on up to Saskatoon, then west on 16 through Edmonton to 43 north, and follow the signs to Alaska (it's well marked).

That's the way I've gone many, many times with great success, as have others who have followed those suggestions.

Ride safe!
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,803
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Coming from the East Coast, my recommendation would be to get to Fargo, ND by the shortest route (you can circle south of Chicago, or zip right through it at 0'dark thirty). From Fargo, west on I-94 to Jamestown and then north and west on US52 late at night to make good time to Minot. During the day (small towns on 52 will slow you down) continue west to Bismarck then north on US83 to Minot. From Minot, US52 to the Portal/North Portal crossing, then SK39 to Moosejaw, north to 11, on up to Saskatoon, then west on 16 through Edmonton to 43 north, and follow the signs to Alaska (it's well marked).

That's the way I've gone many, many times with great success, as have others who have followed those suggestions.

Ride safe!
As the venerable Alcan Rider settles into his dotage it is understandable that much passes by his gaze without notice or recognition. Minot is uncomfortably close these days to the fracking operations that are centered around Williston and extend well into North Dakota, Montana and Saskatchewan. It is a hell hole of trucks, crime, gritty men and money. Having ridden thru ND a few times in the past year I would avoid the area like an IRS audit. Now, Alcan may have an pardonable ulterior motive for directing you towards the the oil fields with their many opportunities for off duty joy. I hear that his main squeeze Maggie has set-up shop in the Williston area seeing to the needs of the hard working oil men. Perhaps he's just trying to direct some business Maggie's way so she can make enough cash to head home to Papa for the long hard winter that is too soon to befall Slana.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Minot is uncomfortably close these days to the fracking operations that are centered around Williston and extend well into North Dakota, Montana and Saskatchewan.
Hey... oil wells nearby mean cheap gas, right? Gotta help a fellow rider keep the costs down.

Yeah, I thought about that... for a few seconds. In the past I've zoomed right on by all the surface coal mining activity all across that area without a hitch. But you're right, that fracking activity is probably a 24/7 obstacle course. So... maybe do what I used to always advise against and go north from Fargo right on up into Manitoba, then get on 16 to Saskatoon west of Winnipeg.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Decisions... If fracking an lots of activity I might try to avoid. Hot springs does sound like a good idea. Will look further into the options.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht_db View Post
... fracking ... might try to avoid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4aOM...e_gdata_player
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Nice!!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How about lodging without planned stops? Will have camping gear but hotels etc?? Are they normally completely packed or if I stop early would it be ok?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
oomis
What's a noob?

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
How about lodging without planned stops? Will have camping gear but hotels etc?? Are they normally completely packed or if I stop early would it be ok?
Subscribed - I'm leaving from Toronto on July 7th, and taking a similar route, crossing into the US at Detroit and hooking around Chicago.

I had also heard that the oil & gas industry is driving up prices, vacancy rates and making traffic worse in the North Dakota area, however I also know that in general, the US is about 30% cheaper (gas, food, lodging) than comparable in Canada. AND (generally) the popo is more lenient in the US than they are in Canada, where you're more likely to get a performance award....
oomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Best advice I have for you, is to sell everything you have in New Jersey, when you get to Alaska, you will not want to go back.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #13
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomis View Post
Subscribed - I'm leaving from Toronto on July 7th, and taking a similar route, crossing into the US at Detroit and hooking around Chicago.

I had also heard that the oil & gas industry is driving up prices, vacancy rates and making traffic worse in the North Dakota area, however I also know that in general, the US is about 30% cheaper (gas, food, lodging) than comparable in Canada. AND (generally) the popo is more lenient in the US than they are in Canada, where you're more likely to get a performance award....
How long are you taking? You'll be about a week an a half ahead.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 AM   #14
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Best advice I have for you, is to sell everything you have in New Jersey, when you get to Alaska, you will not want to go back.

LOL I've already told my wife don't be surprised if I stay.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #15
oomis
What's a noob?

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
How long are you taking? You'll be about a week an a half ahead.
I'm taking about a month. My thread is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post24461359

I don't have a hard, fixed return date, so I'm super flexible. Happy to keep in touch and connect on the road, I'm planning on camping as well and am travelling solo.
oomis is offline   Reply With Quote