User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Thumbs down Do not get your Bike service at Alaska Cycle Center

I don't like bash on any company, but AK CYCLE CENTER has had way too much bad review on their mechanic service.

i recently took by bike to them to do a valve adjustment (51K mile), about a week and half later i pick up my bike, tow it home and had everything all installed.
i took the bike to them with it being mostly naked already,no plastics, no fuel tank, making it should be very easy for them to access the head to do the job,
took the bike home and started it and it won't start, went thru shit load of trouble shooting ,from battery to relay to starter , all was fine.

ended up open my clutch cover and found out they didn't even line up my starter gear, causing my starter to not engage it ...

this was the inside, left washer was also in the wrong place, was suppose to be behind the right wave washer. the back of the clutch cover was left with some dus residue...
re align everything and bam BRAPPP she goes.!!

all in all. i honestly done mind paying someone for service ,but when you do a shitty job at it , it pisses me off.

When i picked up my bike, another gentlemen brought back his bike cause the mechanics there forgot to tighten the oil drain bolt,

buddy last year also had the front end of his bike service, and they forgot to torque the main axle bolts!

So to the mechanics at ALASKA CYCLE CENTER, YA do a shitty job. Please take pride in what you do please.

...and for anyone thinking about taking their machine their for any kind of service, please steer away....OR double triple check everything on your machine before accepting, and i mean everything, from nuts to bolts

for all you Riders riding up to Alaska, you've been warn, do not trust those folks to work on that bike that you'll be depending to take you back home...

peace, and have a greatttt year !!!

-nuttynu , and i approve this message!!

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,208
No fuel tank? Kind of leaves them in a tough spot don't ya think? I gotta believe if they'd been able to attempt start your bike you'd have gotten a different result.

Not saying I've never had bad service from a dealer, Anchorage Suzuki was the demise of my Vstrom.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Pint
multi-tasker

Oddometer: 54
[QUOTE=AKTroy;23923850]No fuel tank? Kind of leaves them in a tough spot don't ya think? I gotta believe if they'd been able to attempt start your bike you'd have gotten a different result.

By the pictures he posted you can SEE that they are not lined up, should not have had to attempt to start it to notice there was something wrong if they were paying attention in the first place, just sayin.

A few years ago I took my supermoto in for service and had ordered braided line for the front brake. After the service, I picked it up and noticed they had not installed the braided line, whoops. Had to go back and pick up the line and installed myself. On a different occasion, I took my wheels in (off the bike) for new tires. Picked them up, reinstalled, and noticed a crap ton of wobble over 35-40 mph. Turns out they had not balanced them. There was no weights on the rim, old or new. I took the bike back to them, this time on the bike, since I noticed it shortly after reinstalling, and was in town anyway. I asked them to fix their mistake and I was told I would be charged for the time to remove the wheels, but they would do it for free if I brought just the wheels in. Not a world ending, devastating issue but just plain bad customer service. I won't go back there to have work done on any of my bikes. Also, Nuttynu, I don't think you are bashing anybody. You are sharing an experience and allowing others to form their own opinion. I appreciate you sharing.
Pint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,602
There are many possible ways to respond to an issue with a dealer. Posting it online is perhaps the least worthy reaction amongst them all.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
There are many possible ways to respond to an issue with a dealer. Posting it online is perhaps the least worthy reaction amongst them all.
True... but in the case of ACC it may be the only effective recourse. In addition to the horror stories I've seen written up on forums regarding that dealer, I was disgusted with what I found on HayDee's DR650 after that same dealer's shop had worked on it. An occasional goof can be expected as the mechanics are only human. And if the shop owns up to it and makes corrections... okay. But a seeming disregard for the customer, and customer relations, needs to be made public - to protect the public.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

How could you tell that something was screwed up on one of HD's bikes?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
How could you tell that something was screwed up on one of HD's bikes?
I can verify that Alcan's check of the valve adjustment that ACC had just done was one thing.
You would think they could have got such a simple thing right.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Pint
multi-tasker

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Not being a smart ass in any way, honestly. Please post up better solutions for making the customer/consumer aware of bad or unsatisfactory service.

I can think of a few:
-Talk directly to the dealership, service manager, owner etc. and see if there is some way to 'make things right' before making public protest.
-Report to BBB.
-Report to factory, ie. Honda (in the case of Nuttynu) about unsatisfactory service at one of their dealerships.
-Call your bank/credit card and put a stop payment on the service provided, until the situation is resolved.
-Fill out a customer survey form (if the dealership has some available).
Pint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

That is a pretty good list.

To each their own about how to handle these issues; making a critical post is not how I would do it.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
That is a pretty good list.

To each their own about how to handle these issues; making a critical post is not how I would do it.
I don't disagree with you Khuddy, I generally keep bad service to myself. However once people start realizing it's not just one isolated incident, it serves as a warning for others. There have been times I wished I had been warned ahead of time.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
No, BS. You are wrong.

This guy is warning his fellow inmates not to waste their hard earned money on a shop that will screw their bikes up. Somebody that careless or untrained could really screw someones engine up, or get somebody freaking killed.

These aren't cars we are talking about, we don't have fender benders. Lives are at stake. Props to the original poster for sharing what happened to him and the others who took their bikes there for service.

This is what I love about the internet. I read Yelp reviews and general user reviews before buying products and especially before paying someone to do work for me. It forces businesses to hire and manage quality people and to also provide great customer service. It also forces people out of business that should not be in business in the first place.

Quote:
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Did a google search on these guys and what do you know? Another bad story.

A Google User
2 years ago
I heard a lot of bad stuff about them but I needed a front tire immediately and they were the only ones who had it in stock. I needed to make a service by a dealer too because my bike is under warranty but I was too suspicious and I only asked the new front tire + New Oil + New filter. Everything was on the bill $$ when I came back but : - No New filter - They mixed the new oil with old one (too much oil !!! 3400ml instead of 2700ml) - They probably let the caliper fall down cause I had no front break before a long time Guys... Maybe the sales part is great but AVOID the service part.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Cool2

As a motorcycle enthusiast , I'm just looking out for the community..

Two other riders have also taken their front wheel to get new rubber and ended up with dings and dents.. Then the mechanic blames the customer ... Explain that please!!...

Their sales is okay, but their service dept is another whole world. I would be curious to know what degree those mechanics have and where they went to school.

Because google and the internet was my teacher . :/

This is just my review...

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
A Google User
2 years ago
I heard a lot of bad stuff about them ...
And there is lots more than that. Never heard anything good, lots of bad. Of course bad is almost always only what you hear about.
Since I've seen people on different boards post about alleged bad service when their complaint wasn't completely legitimate I think we have to sort them out for ourselves.
If a guy has informed the dealer as he should have & it was not resolved as it should have been i find it hard to fault a guy that has a legitimate & obvious problem with bad work done on their bike to post it up as a warning to others. It's just 'Word of Mouth' to a wider audience. YMMV.

Oh, yeah... After a restaurant owner told me about the BBB I'm not sure what good it might do to call them. She refused to pay to sign up with them. Sounded like pay to join & they don't do diddly for the business.
So if the business isn't a BBB member I don't know that they would do anything.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
Stories like this are why I try to avoid sending my bike to the dealership at all costs. However...

No clue about their mechanics, but their sales/accessories side did me a solid last May when I was stuck in Anchorage on my CB750 due to snow and cold. Sold me a pair of ATV hand guards at a discount, took a bigger % off the Motofist snowmachine gloves I was buying to replace my old worn out Olympia winter gloves, and let me borrow some tools to put the guards on. Made the little bit of riding I did before stashing my bike at a friends house MUCH MUCH more comfortable, and the gloves have worked great this winter on the new-to-me sleds.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote