Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Sobiloff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Pissed KTM 690 Enduro: Side stand switch bypass?

Put the 690E up on a motorcycle jack tonight to clean the chain and check the oil level. Let it down and then hopped on it to go to a meeting. Now the engine dies every time I shift into gear, so I'm assuming that I managed to munge the side stand switch and the safety nanny's killing my ride.

Has anyone figured out how to bypass this switch?

(I find it funny that folks warned me about the side stand switch on my KLR, but it's still doing fine at 27K miles. My brand new, high dollar steed? Dead in the water at less than 1K miles. )
Old 08-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Puke Can I ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrnewbie
Put the 690E up on a motorcycle jack tonight to clean the chain and check the oil level. Let it down and then hopped on it to go to a meeting. Now the engine dies every time I shift into gear, so I'm assuming that I managed to munge the side stand switch and the safety nanny's killing my ride.

Has anyone figured out how to bypass this switch?

(I find it funny that folks warned me about the side stand switch on my KLR, but it's still doing fine at 27K miles. My brand new, high dollar steed? Dead in the water at less than 1K miles. )
Can I send you some photos of my left achilles tendon and the the six inch scar needed to repair it. Can I also send you a photo of my atrophied leg and a video of myself limping , while walking , almost two years later. All because of a bypassed sidestand switch. My co-pays alone would have paid for 20 new switches . You made one small mistake with the jack. Please don't make a big mistake by bypassing an important safety device. For those of you who I know will say. "Just don't forget to retract the sidestand". Your head is in the sand or someplace else.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Each to his own I think?

I've been riding mopeds for years without any sidestand switch. I was surprised when I found a switch like that on my first motorcycle 15 years ago.

And besides, a sidestand switch on a bike like the 690E can be danger in itself. You won't be the first to go over the bars over a series of whoops or on a landing because the sidestand switch suddenly makes the engine die through a bouncing sidestand.

Disabled mine on my Xch the day I bought it, just like the clutch switch...
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,922
Here's whats left of a 999R that had the sidestand switch bypassed.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
sidestand switch

I had the exact same thing happen to my bike. The magnet got damaged when I had the bike on a lift. I tried all kinds of combinations of jumping the wires without success. So what I eventually did was unbolt the switch and attach a magnet to it. I then zip tied the switch magnet assembly to the frame.

Not the cleanest but it works. I would really like to hear what others have been able to do to rewiring wise to completely remove the switch.

I have recommended to my buddies that also own this bike that they carry a magnet in thier tool bags.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Sobiloff OP
Adventurer

While I can appreciate the tales of woe from forgotten sidestands, thank you empedrado for providing a possible work-around. I'll see if I can rustle up another magnet and bypass in that manner.

It's kinda crummy that the safety switch is susceptible to damage from using a standard lift.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Sobiloff OP
Adventurer

Problem solved

A couple of good news points:
1) The problem happened to me at home, not out on road or trail somewhere, and

2) It was an easy fix.
All that happened was that the magnet on the back side of the sidestand rotated about 15 degrees out of position. This was just far enough for the frame-mounted sensor to not be able to pick up that the sidestand was up.

The bolt that holds the magnet in place is a Torx T30, but there are faces on the bolt shoulder that should allow you to get a regular socket on it if you don't have a Torx bit handy. It looked like it had some blue Loctite on it previously, so I cleaned the threads and put some fresh blue on it before re-installing it.

Note to self: Add a small magnet to the "oh sh!t" bag.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
dandini
Dan

Oddometer: 9
Does this help?

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/mercha...Category_Code=
Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I have the KTM part and carry it in case I damage the magnet.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Tman
Crashes add farkle

Oddometer: 224
Thanks guys

I have a duck hunting trip tomorrow and I could not get my bike started once I got it loaded into the truck. Every time I put it in 1st it died... so what did I do? I went straight to Adv rider and looked for the sidestand bypass secret.

It looks like the switch may have gotten pushed down about 15-30 degrees from my motorcycle lift stand. Lousy ktm switch design if that is true as I was using a simple, flat topped lift stand!! Thanks to you help I just loosened the switch, rotated it back in place the the bike now can run in gear.

Duck huntin' is back on for tomorrow!
'09 KTM 250XC-FW (300cc) Tight woods brawler
'05 R1200GS- in rehab for failed transmission&final drive

Tman screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 06:40 PM
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #11
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
After a few days of sticker pimping my bike i took her down from lift and rolled out the shed.
Neutral, fire up, helmet on, hop on, stand up, 1st gear bom died.

First thought was that the flat lift might have damaged the side stand sensor so i started there.
After a few hours of following wires and even checking if the clutch lever is ok i gave up.

I'll check it out agan when my side stand eliminator comes in mail... :(

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Engineer John
Engineer

Oddometer: 21
Youuuu de Mannn !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobiloff View Post
A couple of good news points:
1) The problem happened to me at home, not out on road or trail somewhere, and

2) It was an easy fix.
All that happened was that the magnet on the back side of the sidestand rotated about 15 degrees out of position. This was just far enough for the frame-mounted sensor to not be able to pick up that the sidestand was up.

The bolt that holds the magnet in place is a Torx T30, but there are faces on the bolt shoulder that should allow you to get a regular socket on it if you don't have a Torx bit handy. It looked like it had some blue Loctite on it previously, so I cleaned the threads and put some fresh blue on it before re-installing it.

Note to self: Add a small magnet to the "oh sh!t" bag.
I had this same problem that started in cold weather and got worse very gradually. It became a showstopper when I had the bike on a stand for some service.

Here's some pix for reference.

Bad Arrangement
Good arrangement.

John
Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #13
LARDBOY
Eater of Pies

Oddometer: 39
690 side stand switch

I have been tinkering with the side stand switch arrangement. it is very important to get the alignment right when you remove it form the stand and mount otherwise it's a bit flakey .. the magnet needs to be placed in the lower left corner of the receiver with the long edge parallel to the the edge of the receiver otherwise it can cut out periodically bit of a pain really. sorry didn't take a photo.
LARDBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
DOR.esk724
Living the Dream..

Oddometer: 7
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer John View Post
I had this same problem that started in cold weather and got worse very gradually. It became a showstopper when I had the bike on a stand for some service.

Here's some pix for reference.

Bad Arrangement
Good arrangement.

John
Those two photos nails it..

Had mine on a stand.. Wouldnt start after.
Looked here on advrider and found the fix immediately.

Lign the magnet up as shown on the photo "good arrangement" and you're back in business..

Added a torx30 to the "fly away kit"

Thanks for the write up, john..

Cheers
DOR.esk724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 AM   #15
Beer
950 SE

Oddometer: 351
Good thread lads - very useful!

i did have the bike on a scissor stand at the weekend to clean it and take photos.

I have got the same issue on my 2010 690r, ticks over fine but as soon as i engage gear it cuts out.

I have just removed, cleaned and double checked the magnet as the above pictures, i even put a washer on the inside to move the magnet nearer the detector - still cutting out in first, i have just cleaned the inside of the housing at the bottom - but yet try it again....

my question is where does the other end of the cable fit into the electrics / ecu? so i can check the connection and for any fault or break in the cables.

i have got the bottom end off so far. and working my way up the frame...

cheers.

http://950superenduro.com
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote