User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
Pthurman OP
gunga galunga

Oddometer: 77
KTM 525 Buyer Advice

I have owned and sold a handful of bikes over the years, and the only sale I regret was 2007 525 XC-W. It was setup just right with Akrapovic and all. That thing was a smooth controllable rocket. I took a detour on a GS 1150, but I miss the shit eating grin. I am now selling the 2000 GS and am on the hunt for a 525.

So here's where I need some advice. I need to plate the bike in GA. The obvious move would be to wait for a 2007 EXC, but I want to know what my other options are. What about plating a pre-2007 if it was registered in another state and the title didn't say for off road use? What about if it was plated in GA?

I expect to get $4500-$5000 for the GS, which is what I will have to put into a new bike. Feel free to let me know if you spy a deal within 400mi of Atlanta.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hi

You should repost this in local forumn

In colorado ... it is easy to get a title for any dirt bike .... just add lights, dot rubber ... inspection ...and you get a plate

In California forget it ... not gonna happen

In Georgia. .., I have no idea .... why not just call dmv and ask ?

Great choice ....my son rides a platted 04 450 exc, and I am on 08 530exc. ..we have great fun dual sporting around colorado and utah together.

Good luck finding a bike

Scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,057
The titles for pre-DOT legal models don't say offroad only. I know because Maryland MVA just handed me a license plate for my 2005 EXC525 at lunch today. It took a little effort to clear our inspection process. But the titles aren't an issue.

I also had a street titled and plated 2001 MXC200 that I sold to buy the 525. So, unless GA somehow flags them by VIN, a street legal title isn't an issue for pretty much any KTM. Tons of plated 525's and 530's in VA, PA and MD if you can't find one locally.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Pthurman OP
gunga galunga

What's your take on these deals.

1) 2004 525 EXC. 8,800mi. "Previous owner only put 500 on it. I have had it for a year and pretty much just ride it to school and work" - I take this as a possible red flag because it implies about 8,000 miles of tarmac on the gear box. The bike is local, but I haven't seen it yet. He claims it very clean. No Mods. - Price = $4000

2) 2008 450 EXC-R. Owner picked it up recently in a trade. According to previous owner it has a top end rebuild about 1.5 yrs ago and hasn't seen much use since. Apparently the original owner also removed all the street legal stuff including speedo, so true mileage is unknown. Current owner put lights and speedo back on. Has bar risers (which I need), skid plate (a must), upgraded oil pump kit * oil jet, clarke tanks, and fast way pegs. Price - $4600

Option 3) My have a possible trade for my 2000 GS 1150 for a 2007 EXC in great shape (2,000mi) + beefy kickstand, cycra bark busters, new tires, brakes, tuned suspension, fresh service-fluids and valve adjustment, tag, titled, and insured, extras of everything and ALL original paperwork from the original owner.

If option 3 works out it's a done deal. If not?

Option 1 gives me about 800 to put into it, which will allow me to put a Scotts on it, which I love. Option 2 leave me with maybe $200, but I'll spend this driving 6hrs one way to pick it up, and it's a 450. I've never ridden a 450 and know folks love em, but I also know I loved my 525. I want to get into enduro racing just for fun, but also want to have a platform for an adv. bike. If I get a wild hair I may build it as a rally that is tolerable on the highway when necessary.

Option 4) keep looking.

What's your vote.

Pthurman screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 09:42 PM
Pthurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
07 525 is best of the best as far as rfs goes. My buddy has one...... It's awesome.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,036
My '07 525xcw was a great bike, I miss that ride. If I had to do it again, I'd hold out for one of those.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,255
I'd take door #3.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Pthurman OP
gunga galunga

Door #5 it is. Find a smoking deal from a fellow advrider who just took a 450 down to the frame for powder coating, rebuilt to a 525 and super clean. Done & done.