Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #301
losiu
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 576
Thanks Swamp but I don't think that's the case.

Before I bought the used 2006 TE250, I test rode a 2010 TE310.
The suspsnsion felt completely different. The 310 had much more sag under its own weight and then when I sat on it, it felt soft and but didn't seem to suddenly stiffen up at one point.

My 250 is not as soft and the suspension feels stiff after going down maybe about 10cm (which would be a normal = acceptable sag with the rider on board).
It simply seems extremely hard at that point.
Is it normal with these bikes (a 2006 TE250)?? Maybe it's the suspension characteristics - I really don't know. That's why I'm aksking.
I don't know the bike's history so if the shock needs a rebuild then I'll understand. One thing I know - it stiffens up in a weird way but it's far from bottoming out.
I checked the spring preload and messed with the compression and rebound settings and the shock reacts to the adjustments like it should but even with almost no spring preload and low compression it still seems to get crazy stiff pretty fast.

As for the carb, the described (or poorly described) problem does not have much to do with the jetting (I think...).
The bike loses gas and there is a bog at the low revs when the throttle is open. Seems to me like the float level is too high and it floods the engine when throttle is whacked open at lower revs and causes the gas spills. This is the first thing I'm going to check tomorrow.
The bike starts fine, idles ok, revs ok, rides ok, but when stopped with the engine not running, after you shake it to the sides, there are small gas spills coming from one of the hoses. This makes me think that the same happens while riding offroad. Not good. This plus the bogging makes me think that there is too much gas in the float chamber.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide. I've only had the bike for a week or so and I'd like to get it to run fine.
losiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #302
Roughseas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Has anyone grafted the FI from the 2008 up bikes on an earlier model with the carb? I am picking up a 2007 and have no problems the with the stock carb set up for where I stay but wondering if it will be a problem at higher altitudes?

P.S. - Does anyone have a owners manual scan?
Roughseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #303
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughseas View Post
Has anyone grafted the FI from the 2008 up bikes on an earlier model with the carb? I am picking up a 2007 and have no problems the with the stock carb set up for where I stay but wondering if it will be a problem at higher altitudes?

P.S. - Does anyone have a owners manual scan?
Here you go mang. It should be in there.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B8...mFjYjFnZEJXVzA

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #304
losiu
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 576
Thumb 2006 TE 250 bogging - solved

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share - the bogging was cured with the o-ring mod to the FCR carb. Turns out it's an FCR thing, and not a TE problem :)

I now only have the shock to sort out - any ideas? (posted a few posts above)
Thanks,
losiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #305
Roughseas
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Here you go mang.
thanks!

Going to replace the GS with this :)

Roughseas screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 06:21 AM
Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #306
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by losiu View Post
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share - the bogging was cured with the o-ring mod to the FCR carb. Turns out it's an FCR thing, and not a TE problem :)

I now only have the shock to sort out - any ideas? (posted a few posts above)
Thanks,
The '07 TE-250 I bought this past winter came with the JD Jetting kit and the o-ring and jet for the o-ring mod. Now I just need some directions to perform the mod. Anybody know where I can find them?
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #307
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,790
... alabama , woot woot

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #308
Mulley
stay dirty my friend

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
... alabama , woot woot
What he said.

Hey motorcycle writer don't we know you from Bamarides?

05 DR-Z400S, 98 250EXC, 09 Tuono Factory
Mulley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #309
Roughseas
Adventurer

Looking for a higher output stator for the 06 TE250, anyone got any experience with this? all I want to do is run a 100W headlight.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #310
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Try trailtech

Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #311
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughseas View Post
Looking for a higher output stator for the 06 TE250, anyone got any experience with this? all I want to do is run a 100W headlight.
I have had Ricky Stator http://www.rickystator.com/04technic...rewinds01.html rewind stators in the past, they may be able to set you up as I doubt there is a bolt-on high output replacement available. Out of curiosity, what kind of light are you planning on running? HID and LED lights can put out an ungodly amount of light with a lot less than 100w.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #312
Roughseas
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I have had Ricky Stator http://www.rickystator.com/04technic...rewinds01.html rewind stators in the past, they may be able to set you up as I doubt there is a bolt-on high output replacement available. Out of curiosity, what kind of light are you planning on running? HID and LED lights can put out an ungodly amount of light with a lot less than 100w.
I was planning on a Hella reflector with a Halogen from the Suzuki Samurai in a home made frame Was looking for a bolt on as shipping from India and back is going to cost a bomb if I have to get the stator rewound anywhere abraod.

Guess its makes more sense to go LED on the tail lamp and get a decent 50W headlamp. Another line of thought is this...

together with the dash since its already knackered

Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #313
derm75
I'm a brother shamus...

Oddometer: 386
Idle Problem

New owner of an '09 TE250. Went for my first ride today and had some problems with the idle. The bike starts and idles fine, but if I pull the clutch and try to coast while I'm moving the revs drop down to idle and then die. It will fire up if I let the clutch back out for a bump start or if I stop and use the starter button.
800-ish miles on the bike, JD power programmer, power-up done by the dealer when new. This bike belonged to my Dad before me; he said it happened once or twice to him, but I rode in Moab with him for a couple days and we traded bikes a couple times and it never happened to me.
Could the altitude in Colorado be affecting it?
derm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #314
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by derm75 View Post
Could the altitude in Colorado be affecting it?

yes. if the computer was monkeyed with in the desert lands then they probably set it up for that type of climate.. at least thats what i would think. i would connect it to an iBeat computer to see what the settings are.

also check the rubber boot that is connected to the motor and the throttle body/airbox . make sure it has a tight seal.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #315
derm75
I'm a brother shamus...

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
yes. if the computer was monkeyed with in the desert lands then they probably set it up for that type of climate.. at least thats what i would think. i would connect it to an iBeat computer to see what the settings are.

also check the rubber boot that is connected to the motor and the throttle body/airbox . make sure it has a tight seal.
I'm not sure the "computer" was changed at all. Is that normally part of the "power-up" procedure?. The bike was purchased in Minnesota and lived in Wisconsin. My dad installed the JD power programmer, mostly to cure the low rpm twitch. Pretty sure he used some settings he found online. I have them written down but I haven't found the JD manual to see what they correlate to.
derm75 is offline   Reply With Quote