Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Twinner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
V-Strom - Leo Vince & Akrapovic exhaust question.

Hi folks,

Doing a bid of research on the topic, I basically narrowed down my choice to two options: The Akrapovic or the Leo Vince.

I noticed on youtube that some guys have Leo Vince slip-on with ''traditional'' end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2DWX...eature=related

while some other have them with the kind of ''conical'' end cap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsvB6ZUOnc

I really like the conical end cap but I am wondering if they are designed for the V-Strom as on Leo Vince's website, it seems like only the ''traditional'' cut is available.

It does not seem like there is a Carbon Fiber for these either?

Also, do you need a remap and where is the best place to buy from?

Your input would be appreciated.

Pat

Twinner screwed with this post 05-02-2010 at 01:04 PM
Twinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Willbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...DL1000-SO.html

I am waiting for UPS to deliver these to me. I think the main difference is that the Leos and Akras won't need repacking. It also seems like the traditional "pea shooter" style tips are a little quieter (resonate less.)

Given how lean the Strom runs from the factory, a remap is almost a necessity. I'm going to start by taking mine to a dyno shop and having the ecu reprogrammed, then I might possibly get a Power Commander III USB (for fine tuning.) From what I've read, it looks like it would be a GREAT idea to have the throttle bodies sync'ed either before or during this process. (They are pretty bad from the factory too.)

Keep us posted on your progress. If I get mine on 1st I'll post my experience right here.

Will
Willbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,424
And just what's wrong with White Bros??? Just curious as to why you ruled it out right away?
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Twinner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa
And just what's wrong with White Bros??? Just curious as to why you ruled it out right away?
The Two Brothers look fantastic but from what I read and heared on various YouTube clips, they are very loud.

I really like the deep yet smooth sound that seems to come out from the Leos and the option to put on/off the baffles is you think they are too loud or quiet.
Twinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Willbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinner
The Two Brothers look fantastic but from what I read and heared on various YouTube clips, they are very loud.

I really like the deep yet smooth sound that seems to come out from the Leos and the option to put on/off the baffles is you think they are too loud or quiet.
I just finished installing my 2Bros M2s about an hour ago. After a short test ride I'm about to order the powertips to tame the noise a little bit. In retrospect, it would have made more sense to get the Akras or the leos. (do the Leos ever need repacking?)
Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Go for Remus. I love mine, just loud enough, with a nice deep tone. IMOP the quality is way above most of the others.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Stealth

I really like the stock pipe. Something to be said for sneaking around on dirt roads. Nobody notices the stock strom, and that's ok by me.
Vt-Stromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa
Because White Brothers is no longer?

They went out of business and were bought out by Vance and Hines.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
GS Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I know of one guy (Wee, not Vee) who put on a Remus slip on with K and N airfilter and did not do a remap, and has had no issues at all. I would think it would make things way too lean, but he has a ton of miles on his Wee and it runs smooth, no problems.

I have had Two Bros. systems on two other bikes and I found them to be very nice. Loud enough to sound nice, but not loud, at all, overall. Just a nice deep tone. I liked the fact that the Two Bros. ones I had made for deep tone more than loudness. Those bikes were a VFR800 and an FZ1. That VFR was the best sounding bike on the planet with the TB.

I don't think TB makes one for the Wee, but if they did, it would likely be my choice. I thought the fit and finish, especially for the cost was outstanding.

I never did dyno those bikes, and both made enough power that I didn't care, as long as no low end torque was lost....and it wasn't, based on my seat of the pants dyno.

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,450
I've got Two Bros on my ST1300 too loud, and Staintuned on my V ok, but the nicest sounding exhaust I've heard was Leo Vince on a V.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,382
I have the Leos on my vee and like them. I have the baffles inserted, so they are not too loud. Nice sound, but not too loud. I did have to re-map the FI because the new pipes made an already too lean bike, waaay too lean. Leo said you don't have to re-map, but in my case that was not true at all.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Speaking of exhaust for the V-Strom....Anyone know what the difference between the early Stroms ('02-'03) and the '04 and later versions are regarding the mufflers? I'm looking at aftermarket for an '03 and so far, I've only found listings for '04 on. Thanks.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build
brucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
DrDale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt-Stromer
I really like the stock pipe. Something to be said for sneaking around on dirt roads. Nobody notices the stock strom, and that's ok by me.
Ditto. Nice not to wake everyone in the neighborhood or campground when you're arriving late or leaving early....
DrDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 AM   #14
Willbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed my 2-bros powertips yesterday. They make quite a difference. There is less of a roar now. (Less resonance) On the road they're very nice but they are still a little loud for the driveway or parking lot. (good thing I actually RIDE)

YMMV
Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,541
i think if you study this topic thoroughly you'll find that the performance of the stock setup cannot be beat. at the end of it all, you'll produce more noise, less power, and lower MPG
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote