Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #106
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegigabyte
I just attempted my first time ever doing valves, but screwed up. I thought for the exhaust you had to be TDC on the exhaust stroke and had noticed they were way off. Well after massive clicking while running I gave up and brought it to the shop. I found out you can check both intake and exhaust on the intake TDC setting.

So next time I will do it. I had no problem with checking the intake and on the fan there is a mark you can line up to get perfect TDC which I used. Adjusting the valves is super easy I even bought the special tool. I became a expert on the exhaust side laying on my back so I know if I ever have to adjust in the future its easy, im sure the intake side is even easier.

This scooter is dead simple to adjust, I cant see why everyone doesnt do it themselves. Except for my screwup it was very easy.
If it's the same tool used for all the other Asian scoots and small motorcycles, it's the best thing since sliced bread. I love that tool.

What's the "official" Yamaha specs for bore and stroke, and power output in hp and n/m torque on the Zuma? Is it a SOHC with two valves?

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #107
AngryScot OP

Oddometer: 18,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek
If it's the same tool used for all the other Asian scoots and small motorcycles, it's the best thing since sliced bread. I love that tool.

What's the "official" Yamaha specs for bore and stroke, and power output in hp and n/m torque on the Zuma? Is it a SOHC with two valves?
what is this special tool?
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #108
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
Yes! The tool! Tell us of the Magic Tool and it's uses! We would know of the tool!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #109
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Quote:
Well they're "special' only to the more common older Honda SOHC engines with rocker arms and most Taiwan and Chinese clones of the horizontal cylindered Hondas and most Pac Rim scooters. Not sure if the Zuma qualifies

http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro...ent-wrench-set

It used to be you could buy just the real common 9mm locknut/4 mm adjuster stem tool separate from the whole set, which is what all of my bikes use. Still a valuable tool that saves some effort, when used along with the proper feeler gauge.

I've done my part someone get me some specs..

Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #110
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Zuma engine specs:
52.4mm bore x 57.9 stroke
10:1 compression
air-cooled SOHC
I can't find any published power numbers, but 7-8 hp is about where I'd put it stock. It runs well and will do 55 mph on level ground.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #111
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,901
Gary -

How many miles are on the Zuma now and how many miles have you put on the 1200 since you got the Zuma?
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #112
AngryScot OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker
Gary -

How many miles are on the Zuma now and how many miles have you put on the 1200 since you got the Zuma?
I got the zuma in april/may I think and have just over 2222 miles on it, the GS has been taking a break since all 3 rotors needed replaced, but I probably put 2k on that as well. Certainly not the commuter miles since I take the zuma 99% of the time.

Plus this year has not been a big traveling year, only a few trips. Hopefully next year will put some good miles on the gs as well as the zuma they are both real fun just different types of fun.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #113
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Thanks topless for the specs, just wanting to compare the Zuma engine against my Cubster's conversion.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #114
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
I got the zuma in april/may I think and have just over 2222 miles on it, the GS has been taking a break since all 3 rotors needed replaced, but I probably put 2k on that as well. Certainly not the commuter miles since I take the zuma 99% of the time.

Plus this year has not been a big traveling year, only a few trips. Hopefully next year will put some good miles on the gs as well as the zuma they are both real fun just different types of fun.
Interesting! I saw a Yellow Zuma at the dealer the other day and was so close to snapping it up. I'm putting a lot more miles on my Sym HD200 than my Silverwing but as you say - both fun just different types of fun.

Why wait til next year for trips? I thought you guys in Cali had beautiful weather all year. Take a long trip on that Zuma - post some pics so we can ride along from out armchairs.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #115
AngryScot OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker
Interesting! I saw a Yellow Zuma at the dealer the other day and was so close to snapping it up. I'm putting a lot more miles on my Sym HD200 than my Silverwing but as you say - both fun just different types of fun.

Why wait til next year for trips? I thought you guys in Cali had beautiful weather all year. Take a long trip on that Zuma - post some pics so we can ride along from out armchairs.
Longest was 300 mile trip up the coast this year, would love to have another but time off work is preventing the
but yes we do have some of the best weather for riding anywhere
Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #116
AngryScot OP

So I finally got around to being able to try out the bags I had made by an inmate.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487221

out of the compartment with loops for a carry/shoulder strap

The Msr bottle holders, the large and smaller sizes, migth have been a tad conservative on the length for the small one but it fits ok. Both have vertical and horizontal webbing for tying down in various postions on GS and scooter

Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #117
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Cool!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #118
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
Yes! The tool! Tell us of the Magic Tool and it's uses! We would know of the tool!
I would tell you where to get the tool, but im a moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek
Well they're "special' only to the more common older Honda SOHC engines with rocker arms and most Taiwan and Chinese clones of the horizontal cylindered Hondas and most Pac Rim scooters. Not sure if the Zuma qualifies

http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro...ent-wrench-set

It used to be you could buy just the real common 9mm locknut/4 mm adjuster stem tool separate from the whole set, which is what all of my bikes use. Still a valuable tool that saves some effort, when used along with the proper feeler gauge.

I've done my part someone get me some specs..
No this is not the tool, its an actual yamaha tool I ordered for about $4 shipped, even though this could probably work if its small enough
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #119
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 595
Gary, I'll see your Zuma and raise you one Riva I just picked this up and I'm really enjoying it so far, my Zuma may go on the chopping block!
Riva 180
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #120
AngryScot OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan
Gary, I'll see your Zuma and raise you one Riva I just picked this up and I'm really enjoying it so far, my Zuma may go on the chopping block!
Riva 180
sweet! but man is that ugly

look like fun to ride though, what is it a 200+? I don't know rivas