User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
StubbornDutchman OP
Chill

Oddometer: 147
What does your wife ride?

So my wife just got her M1 (motorcycle learners). She currently rides a 2004 TTR225 and loves it. But its not street legal and its impossible to convert in Ontario. She is about 5' 10" so she can handle most bikes out there. I'm looking to spend about $2500-$3000 on a bike for her. We do some single track so whatever the bike is it has to be almost as capable as my WRR.

She says she doesn't like my WR250R because its too high but she has never actually ridden it.

What do your wives/girlfriends ride? And why? I'm thinking DR200, Super Sherpa, CRF230L kinda stuff. But is there anything I'm missing that I should be looking into?
StubbornDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Allucaneat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
If she loves her TTR225, why not look at an XT225 or XT250?
Allucaneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornDutchman View Post
So my wife just got her M1 (motorcycle learners). She currently rides a 2004 TTR225 and loves it. But its not street legal and its impossible to convert in Ontario. She is about 5' 10" so she can handle most bikes out there. I'm looking to spend about $2500-$3000 on a bike for her. We do some single track so whatever the bike is it has to be almost as capable as my WRR.

She says she doesn't like my WR250R because its too high but she has never actually ridden it.

What do your wives/girlfriends ride? And why? I'm thinking DR200, Super Sherpa, CRF230L kinda stuff. But is there anything I'm missing that I should be looking into?
Since she spilled oven cleaner on my freshly-painted XT250 head, my wife rides the bus.

In truth, my wife passed her test on my DR200SE. She loved it. Would the learner restriction prevent your wife from riding a DR650? (I ask because it wouldn't down here.) The 650 is adjustable for height and it's a more relaxed and better sprung ride than the 200.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
StubbornDutchman OP
Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot View Post
Since she spilled oven cleaner on my freshly-painted XT250 head, my wife rides the bus.

In truth, my wife passed her test on my DR200SE. She loved it. Would the learner restriction prevent your wife from riding a DR650? (I ask because it wouldn't down here.) The 650 is adjustable for height and it's a more relaxed and better sprung ride than the 200.
No restrictions on size up here. She actually swung her leg over a DR650 at the local dealer and loved it! I've never ridden one. Any thoughts on if it would be too powerful or heavy for a beginner?

An XT225 is certainly in the running as well.

KTM250?
Old 06-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
miniroot

Quote:
No restrictions on size up here. She actually swung her leg over a DR650 at the local dealer and loved it! I've never ridden one. Any thoughts on if it would be too powerful or heavy for a beginner?
A beginner who's already out there riding single-track on a TTR225? I think she'd be fine. The first time I dared take mine into the dirt I regretted not having done so earlier -- between the better stock suspension, brakes and power, I found it easier to ride than the 200. I'm no Marc Coma, though.

miniroot screwed with this post 06-09-2015 at 04:04 PM Reason: Wrong bike.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 566
Me.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
StubbornDutchman OP
Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
Me.
liar nice try though.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Socaldualer
DualsportDork

Oddometer: 58
2014 CRF 250L
Lowered the shock and forks-installed Kouba link and low profile SC seat-but its a pig-320 lbs!
now looking into used 350 EXCF.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
StubbornDutchman OP
Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaldualer View Post
2014 CRF 250L
Lowered the shock and forks-installed Kouba link and low profile SC seat-but its a pig-320 lbs!
now looking into used 350 EXCF.
Very good to know. She had sat on the 250L as well and had liked it. But I always kinda wondered how they would do in the dirt compared to my WRR. My bike is around 290lbs right now.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #10
cachorroLOUCO
Banned

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Me.
Ahh man you beat me to it.
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:

An XT225 is certainly in the running as well.

KTM250?

DR 650 is around 400 pounds wet. If you drop it and it pins your leg under it, it would take all the energy a strong 170 pound man can muster to free oneself.

Not very nimble in singletrack either........I own one and love it for its intended purpose.......but thats not what she needs.

I vote a nice XT 225, or if she wants E start...a newer XT 250.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #12
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Quote:
Me.
liar nice try though.
Oops, I answered the question "what does your wife ride?"
Old 06-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,678
You're looking for a dirt bike she can upgrade to that's street legal, lower seat height, and good for a beginner?

CRF250L. Smooth power band, shorter than most dual sports right out the factory, good aftermarket support (and growing), and light. I'd say the DR650 is good except, weight-wise, that's a jump from her vs. the TTR225.

XT250. It's basically the upgraded, road-worthy version of the TTR225 while still being very low (lower even than the CRF). It's a tiny bit more power than her TTR without much more weight, plus it's street legal off the line.

DR650. Great bike, fantastic step up, but heavy-ish for off road work when you're used to a light bike. She needs to ride it around herself to figure out if it's too much, but it's got a good seat height (tallish but not epic like the XRL or DRZ, or even your WRR) and a cornucopia of aftermarket support (seriously, it's freaking insane). It's a fantastic bike, especially if she wants to do more street riding, and at 5'10" she'll fit it easily.

Of all of the options above, I'd personally choose the DR650. It's heavier, but because she's already got () good offroad skills, I think it'll be a right step. Of course, she could always do what I did and jump straight into a 1200GS (I'm 5'8" btw), but learn from my mistakes that a more gradual progression is probably the way to go. I'm seriously considering selling that for a DR650, so I'm likely a tiny bit biased that way.

THE BIG THING: LET HER PICK WHAT SHE WANTS. Try to get her to ride everything, including your WRR, and let her choose whichever one strikes her fancy. Even if she makes a mistake with her choice (like how yours truly feels ), it doesn't need to be her next bike.

My $0.02 from one chick who rides to another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,584
On you WRR adjust the rear shock clevis to the lower setting & drop the triples down the forks a bit to match, then give her a ride on that. You can carve a couple of inches out of the seat easily too so keep that in mind.

My lady is much shorter than 5'10" & she loves her WRR. She had a Super Sherpa before that & finds the better suspension of the WRR more than makes up for the higher seat. Plus as you'll know the WRR carries it's weight pretty low making it quite easily manageable for it's size.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #15
miniroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
do what I did and jump straight into a 1200GS (I'm 5'8" btw)
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.