Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #46
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois View Post
Purchased an 09 KLR intending to sell off a Vee strom. Enjoy the KLR but will be keeping both.
I am in the same boat but my KLR is a 2000. A KlR and Vstrom are great companion bikes...

Coop
coop74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #47
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,561
sold the modified FXR
bought a DR650, suzuki's KLR
cannot justify a big street bike any longer, the big 650 singles do the job
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #48
bullittman281
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I sorta sold the street bikes. I started out on an XT225 and loved it but "out grew" it. I sold it to get a KDX 200 and then missed the license plate so I got an SV650. The SV was a good ride until a dear parted our ways. I replaced the SV with a versys and loved it but talked my self out of the street thing. So I sold it and bought a KLX450R. Again I missed the license plate and the ability to ride off road like I could with the XT. It turns out that was almost my perfect bike. So I set out on a quest for another dual sport. After much searching it was between the KLR and the DR650. Once test ride on both convinced me. The KLR was a beached whale. The DR won. The DR does anything I need to do. Its a great bike. I'm sure that within its limits the KLR is probably a great ride as well. I found it too big and heavy to want to go offroading like I want too.

Don't be scared, buy the big single, you probably wont regret it.

Bullittman
bullittman281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #49
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I did the sportbike thing for about ten years. I went from a CBR600 F3 to a Triumph Daytona 955i and spent quite a few days at the local racetrack (PIR).
For whatever reasons the need for all that speed has gone and I am much happier with the challenge of multi-surface motorcycling.
I chose a DR650 and have not looked back (I still have the Triumph but it hasn’t been out for over a year). I ride with a friend who has a KLR650 and while the DR is more agile, rider skill can make up for alot.
Performance wise it probably depends on where you live, here in Oregon even on the Interstate speeds seldom exceed 70mph so keeping up and passing are not issues.
I don’t think I would ever go back to purely a street bike at this point the dualsport is just too much fun.
Good luck and enjoy whichever way you decide.

speedmaster screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 09:55 PM
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #50
fonzie56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Laugh Goodbye, HD. Hello fun!

Sold my 2001 Ultra Classic HD when my divorce deemed it necessary that I have some extra $$$.

After 2 years of struggling with my huge mortgage payment and since the economy tanked and I couldn't sell the house, I could stand it no longer.

How much could I afford to spend per month? Been riding for 41 years, can't go too long without a bike.

Saw an ad for NEW KLR 650's, (09), for $4899. E-mailed the shop for an out the door price. No response.

Next day, armed with a healthy down payment, I went to see the bikes up close. Bought a black one. Man, what a blast!! Riding has become fun again! No worries, just riding! Go anywhere, do anything. I love my KLR. My daughter named it ,"Big Daddy". Works for me.
fonzie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #51
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 218
I went the other way...I sold my '09 KLR and bought a '08 ST1300. The highway riding I do and long distance touring I will be doing wasn't going to work on the KLR IMHO.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #52
DecentMan4you
n00b

Oddometer: 8
thanks for the insight wish there is more like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate View Post
I've had my '08 as my exclusive bike for over two years. (Aug '07)

For human sized people, it's not big enough for two up touring, it's not fast enough for comfortable interstate. The exception is you lucky folks with girlfriends who have an ass no bigger than a squirrel's.

If you're 70 on the interstate and want power to pass, the bike just says "Whaaaa?"

I bought a second hand FZ1 for superslab rides or for those times when you just want to be there. Unless I'm planning on dirt rides out west, the KLR will be for around town or slow touring where the only object is the direction.

FZ1 for vacation plans where the wife flys and I chase the airplane.

The greatest thing with a KLR is generally you still have money left over for more than one bike. My garage has 6 and I'm still under 10k total invested.

Insurance is dirt cheap, so are tires etc...

If I had to settle for just one bike, then yes, the KLR would remain. I'd just make sure I have plenty of time for travelling.
I like your comment's - Helps ...
DecentMan4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #53
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 534
When I flip on the light in the garage the bike there now is a 2007 KLR650 I bought used already "fixed up"; springs, the do, 4 " taller shield, aftermarket seat, bags, LED rear light (and lowering links, low seat - these I switched off, but you can easily lower a KLR to get your feet on the ground)...added a pelican case for a top box. Got minimal $ investment, but a big return as far as ease of work, cost of any parts/work, and I enjoy the mount for what it gives me...which is about 50/50 street and trail (old fire roads, gravel trails, cleared trails...not single track). It can do the interstate if needed, but really that was not "the destination" I am aiming for these days.

I came off a HD Classic (full fairing, bags, etc.)...and prior to that a BMW R100RS (sweet, smooth, fast!). I would not ask the KLR to do the types of road work I used these bikes for, just as I would not want to take the HD or BMW into gravel or mud...although for many years I would ride to HD across my snowy yard to make my kids think Santa's sled had been there!

It's been said before...the KLR is like the Leatherman tool...can do a bit of everything...but there are better single function screwdrivers/pliers/knives out there...but if you have to carry just one tool in your pocket...the Leatherman or a KLR is a good choice.

I also considered a KTM's, Honda, and the DR650, my final choice was steered by 1: knowing my essential criteria AND 2: finding a cared for, already farkled bike at a fair price...when those stars line up...buy it & and ride it!

FAW3 screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 08:59 AM Reason: added stuff about suspension links/seat
FAW3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #54
averagerider
averagerider

Oddometer: 38
Question A twist on the original question.......

This is a great thread. Please allow me to put a twist on the original question.

Curious to know if anyone moved from a big twin GS type bike for a KLR 650. For the past 11 years I have been riding BMWs: first a 1999 R1100GS, now a 2007 R1200GS. I love the ride especially with Russell Daylong seat. Have ridden to Alaska and many other parts of the US and Canada. But when loaded for distance traveling and camping, it is a beast in low speed settings and nearly impossible to push from gas pump to convenience store when making a pit stop. Cost of service and parts is expensive.

Just bought a new 2009 KLR 650 for 1/3 the price of the BMW. I am anxious to get to know what the bike can do and not do. I'm not ready to get rid of the BMW but am open to a lighter bike as I get a bit older.

Curious what others' experiences have been.

ar
averagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #55
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I cant wait to get rid of the sportster and get something light and nimble.
I have a dr650 which seems great for running at speeds up to about 90 mph street or dirt.
For the dirt, low weight seems critical, and the dr is a bit lighter then the KLR I think.
The dr is heavy for a dirt bike, and I cant imagine going heavier if I was dirt riding anything but smooth stuff.
Yes, you can go really fast in the dirt on a well set up dr, but its weight can hurt you in a fall.

All the dual sports are tall, and don't feel as good on the street as a street bike.
A lowered dr with street tires and a better seat would be a lot of fun.

In the old days, many street bikes made fair dirt bikes, just put high mud guards on and knobby tires...

My old Triumph Daytona (1969) was fun and fast in the dirt if it was not too rough, under 350 pounds and a very low center of gravity.

I am not sure a lot of riders realize the downside of a bike with a lot of suspension. Lots of upside over rough stuff, but there is a price to be paid.

Tall bikes with a lot of gas up high, likely makes for more crashes in many situations...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #56
RydinFool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Well, I didn't dump my big bikes, but I bought a KLR. Used 2008 with less than 3,000 miles, for 3800$. Every time I think it's time to sell a bike or two, the first one that comes to mind is the KLR. Then I ride it. Crap. It's perfect. It does everything pretty well. Runs on 87 octane, and ethy doesn't seem to hurt it. Handles nice enough and will go anywhere for a long time on a single tank of gas. (55 mpg) There are tons of farkles for it. Although the only thing I've done it put a corbin seat on it. It's also my bad weather bike. I ride it in the cold, rain, snow (up here you may not, should not start out in the snow, but you may get caught in it.). It has never missed a beat. I have only put about 5,000 miles on it but I anticipate many, many more. Just a note, most probably know this, but there is a great site KLR.net. Real friendly down to earth people there.

As there is a gun for every purpose and a purpose for every gun, so it goes with motorcycles. And the KLR is a superbike IMHO.
IBA #33670
Wee Strom, HD Electra Glide, KLR 650, Triumph Bonneville, 86 BMW R80 cafe racer, 1986 HD Wide Glide- the last one with a kickstart, 1987 BMW R80RT, Suzuki DR 350
RydinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #57
JeffD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
do not take this wrong (I previously owned an 02 klr and presently an 09)the best thing about riding the KLR's for any amount of time is when I get back on my Harley it feels very powerful. I have owned 3 oilheads 1100 and 1150 and the number one thing i do not like about the KLR's is they are so under powered.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #58
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I think up to 100 mph, my slightly modified dr650 will do better then my 1200 sportster. I know it does better wheelies...
It also handles much better and is more comfortable!
That is not saying much for the sportster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
do not take this wrong (I previously owned an 02 klr and presently an 09)the best thing about riding the KLR's for any amount of time is when I get back on my Harley it feels very powerful. I have owned 3 oilheads 1100 and 1150 and the number one thing i do not like about the KLR's is they are so under powered.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #59
yamadado
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Has anyone moved from the yamaha fz6 to xt660z? Any regrets?
yamadado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #60
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I kept my big road bike but added a KLR last Sept. I've only road the big bike once since them. KLR=FUN. bete.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote