Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #16
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
I would imagine the risk of being mugged or having the bike stolen is nearly the same as for a sub-150 pound male. Accident risk is probably similar, too. There are a few other concerns, of course, but for the most part I don't think it is much different.

If you have a bad feeling about a place, leave. You won't be walking down dark alleys at night, you'll be riding down them at 50 mph. The people sending you these images and stories have having difficulty adding "motorcycle rider" to their internal list of stuff about you. That isn't your problem - it is theirs.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #17
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Miriam is an Italian woman who has been on the road by herself for the last 1 year and 7 months. She started in Argentina and is going to Alaska and is enjoying everything in between. I had the great pleasure of meeting her last week.

Here is a link to her ADV ride report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460121

And here is her blog
http://iopartomiriam.blogspot.com/
pax maac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #18
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp
One RR I fell in love with was Erica's Highway To Hell here on ADV. That would be my dream trip, but she even had a small mishap eariler in her trip. Pays to be prepared, that's for sure.

I'll have to Google those other two, I always love hearing adventure tales of other women. :)
1+ on Erica's Highway to Hell, she did a trip that she will remember for her life. She lived on that trip.
One of the RR's that I have enjoyed the most.
So go and do your trip, be safe and entertain us with a great RR.
Go for it.
capeklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,427
I've gone cross-country (or across most of it) several times now in a car, always by myself. Having picked up motorcycling just a year ago (this month), I'd love to start making long, long trips on my bike. This freaks everyone but the fellow adventurers in my life (and sadly there aren't too many of those in my immediate circle). I blame my family for my wanderlust - I spent much of my formative years living in Germany with parents who worked for the Army as civilians, travelling all over the continent. My sister went solo across the world travelling and yes, my parents were worried, but it seems as though because I'm doing it on a motorcycle that I'm obviously suicidal.

I really don't get it. I've asked if they have some deep seated trauma based on motorcycles but my grandfather worked on and raced Indians, and several members of my not-so-immediate family ride. (granted they're weekend warriors more into chrome than travel) I don't know if it's because I'm female, on a motorcycle, or just because I'm me but they wigg out whenever I mention a longish trip.

Gr. It's just frustrating. Last year when I did my 2-week southwest adventure (and nothing untoward happened), they demanded I keep them updated on where I was every day; if I didn't call they promised to call the flipping police and put out an APB!!!! Overprotective is one thing - I seem to have stalker parents now! And I swear on all that's holy, they didn't used to be like this (well, okay, not quite to this extent)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
That makes some sense to me. They are your parents so they're gonna worry. I don't think it would be too inconvenient if you got a spot or used some other locator service like the free ones that track your cell phone on a map.

When I went cross country the first time (I hope to do it again next year but solo) we got an 800 number that we could update nightly. That way anyone who wanted to know what was going on, could call the number. We were able to update those who were worried plus we didn't have to talk to anyone if we didn't want to. I don't know if they still have those, but it's worth looking into.

Just go do your thing and be glad you have parents and family who care enough to worry. As long as they aren't trying to put a physical leash on you, you're free to roam.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #21
nilsso1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
check this out

Roamin' The Rockies: a woman's solo adventure

right here on this site

If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Embarrassing my children: Just one more service I offer.
nilsso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,462
I agree with everything said before. The thing about traveling via mc (and camping as well...) is that it makes you more vulnerable.Riding a mc in general is a calculated risk. The flip side is you actually experience life, instead of walking around in a protected little bubble.

When you are traveling alone (good) people are more likely to start a conversation,
invite you to share a meal, or lend a helping hand when you need it. All three things happened multiple times on my trip out west last fall. I would hate to have been in a car and missed those experiences, or worse yet at home watching Nat. Geo. and dreaming of travel.

Ride on, be safe

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
Motopapillon
Eppur si muove

Oddometer: 343
[QUOTE=HappyRiding]Sa
People tend to be more good than evil and common sense goes a long way to keep you out of trouble.

Amen.

I can't comment on the specifically being-female aspect of solo bike touring/camping, but the above observation was one of my biggest discoveries when I (with more than a little trepidation) began doing it. Yes, there may be some bad apples, and good people sometimes do bad things, but by and large they are on your side. The world is not like you think it is if your information comes from sitting on a couch watching TV and reading the news.

In any event, the alternative to risk-taking is not immortality.

Happy trails.

M-P
Motopapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
steveO-Ray
BikELess Vagrant

Oddometer: 585
Buy some mace to take along if it will make them feel you are safer.

Live your life as you see fit. Listen to their opinions and actually consider what they are saying. Ultimately though it is your choice and your life. Some of the best choices I have made so far in my life have been ones my parents didn't approve of.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
"It is not the critic who counts:...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt
steveO-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
There are ALOT more good people than bad out there. The bad ones get all the press. Follow you instincts and you heart and GO. A can of Bear Spray will deter most idiots, that and common sense. You have to live for you not your family. You will never regret going, you will forever regret not going...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #26
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
better dump the boyfriend..

ride anything that could happen to you could happen to you sitting right where you are to..

ride.

be safe.
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #27
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
You will be fine if your smart about it. Don't camp alone in secluded places, Don't ride at night on a bike that is poorly maintained, and ride with good gear. But you better do it quick before we turn into MexicoOh yah, ride fast and take chances
gallinastrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #28
alzyck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:

I really don't get it. I've asked if they have some deep seated trauma based on motorcycles but my grandfather worked on and raced Indians, and several members of my not-so-immediate family ride. (granted they're weekend warriors more into chrome than travel) I don't know if it's because I'm female, on a motorcycle, or just because I'm me but they wigg out whenever I mention a longish trip.
Lots of folks gave great responses about how LD riding is safe. That's been my experience also, but unless I misread your post, that isn't what you asked. I thought your question was more about dealing with the negative reaction of your immediate family/bf to you taking solo LD trips.

People's behaviors generally are based on their beliefs. Your family/bf believes it's unsafe for you. It's unlikely you'll ever be able to "convince" them that how they feel is wrong.

The ball's really in your court. You either decide you're going to do solo LD rides and live with the tension it creates with your family or give up on it. Most likely, your family will decide they can accept your "eccentricity" ("Yeah, that's my daughter that rides a m/c all over the country"). That's how families work. But, be prepared that some folks may not accept it (b/f could feel threatened by your independence - good to know sooner rather than later).

A previous poster mentioned getting a SPOT. Great idea. Let's your family track your progress. Gives them assurance you can get help on the road. Let's you send an "I'm OK" e-mail daily so they know you're alright. Gives them a way to find you in the unlikely event something terrible happens. Might help reduce the tension a bit at first and it's really a good idea anyway.

alzyck screwed with this post 05-07-2010 at 06:21 AM
alzyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #29
Talonstorm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
I get my ass chewed and pled at not to do such a foolish, suicidal thing.

Seriously, I know that a lone female needs to be safe but, arg, some of what they say is getting to me. First off I don't want to disappoint my family but I refuse to live a boring-ass life. I don't even know if this is a rant or a request for stories, but just ARG!!!!!
Hi Sara. I get the same thing from my family. They were pissed off when I got my first bike, resigned to acceptance when I got the new one. Now they expect that I call immediately after arriving home if I am out riding. I am not much of an enabler and I hate being told what to do, but seriously, my mom will go into panic mode and call the police out to look for me if I don't call. I feel your pain.

As far as safety, I try not to "advertise" that I'm a girl when I ride. I don't wear pink (not that there is anything wrong with that) or flowers. I found that I get bothered more while riding if people know I'm female. And if you are careful about where you stop and spend nights (hotels, not isolated camping areas, etc.), you should be just fine. Common sense goes a long way.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #30
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,441
get on with it.

avoid negative people.

a few years back I had to pick up my spare KLR from Arizona...I told my wife I was gonna fly out and ride it home...she suggested she do it instead.....she had a blast. you will too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137626
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote