Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #76
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
After nearly 44 years and nearly 29 years of driving I estimate I have put over 2 million miles on my cars. Most of that alone, while camping. Much of the last 10 years or so while photographing large, wild animals and birds. I'm still alive and kicking and craving my next adventure.

I got the motorcycle bug last year and I am hooked. I spend much time on the roads alone. Riding partners are great, but I can't live my life waiting around for them to come along and have similar schedules and similar riding habits. I expect I will log a lot of miles on my bike alone, camping, probably some of it photographing large, wild animals and birds.

I recently moved back to New Mexico, closer to my family. My mother worries about me, tries to tell me I shouldn't go alone. When I was in the PNW she never knew how much time I went alone, what she didn't know didn't cause her worry. I am learning to tell her more things after the fact and to let friends know where I am going to be, similar to what I used to do when in the PNW.

Bad things happen to people every day, many of them in their own homes or neighborhoods. We can choose to live our lives afraid and closed up, or we can live our lives by staring fear in the face and giving it a big f-you. If I'm going to die young I would prefer to go out in a crazy crash or being gored by a buffalo. It would truly piss me off to go while sitting in front of a spreadsheet on my computer.

Cathy
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #77
TorontoDragon
Just starting

Oddometer: 50
I'm female and I'm out on my first big ride - 34 days from Ontario to the Pacific and back. I'm only one day 7 and I've met loads of really nice people. I'm a city girl, so I know to keep my wits about me when all the time.

I've vacationed in London England and New York City by myself and found both much more nerve wracking than riding across Canada. But maybe it's a Canadian thing. We only cops and crooks carry handguns here.

A smile from me and a "please" and "thank you" go along way when meeting or approaching people.

Yeah, my parents are worried. My dad gave me a phone card, I have my cellphone with me and there is wireless internet at all the hotels I'm staying at. It's not like I'm stranded in the Antarctic.

Every night I send a quick email saying where I am and that all is well. Of course I still got all the guilt trips you could imagine. But hey, it's my life and I'm going to do what I want to do. My friends and family have my itinerary, so they know I've planned everything out and taking all the precautions.

I'm going to give my parents heart attacks when they find out I want to do a big trip every summer. I don't ever want to say, "Gee, I wish I had done XX when I had the chance." 'Cause you know second chances are few and far between
TorontoDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #78
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDragon
I'm female and I'm out on my first big ride - 34 days from Ontario to the Pacific and back. I'm only one day 7 and I've met loads of really nice people. I'm a city girl, so I know to keep my wits about me when all the time.
Best of luck on your trip.

you going to do a ride report?

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #79
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
Here's a link to an article I wrote about safety considerations for outdoor photographers. I wrote it at the request of a female client a few years ago. Although the article was written with an audience of photographers in mind, many of the tips will apply to women traveling solo, too. Hope y'all find it useful.

http://blog.bretedge.com/2010/05/24/...photographers/
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #80
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,943
I reckon go for it.

Use your commonsense and keep your radar up, and go.

That's my theory for doing anything that may be considered potentially dangerous when on my own.

Humans are very good at worrying about "what might happen", me included. Chances are "it" won't happen.

I always feel safer in the bush than in the city.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #81
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
I am not a woman but I do most of my riding alone. I never feel lonely when I am riding days on end. Other people are always willing to help a lone motorcyclist if it is ever needed. If, on a rare occasion someone looks creepy or manipulative, just get the hell out of there.
When a sick twisted person is taking on a predatory role they lurk first, and interact to size up their victim, and then make a move. Nobody should stick around long enough to let this process take place. At the first bad vibe, just go.
With cell phones and Triple A towing you are never going to be stranded for long without help.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #82
Romabuk
Hole in da pants

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gravy*
Mom: Did you see in the paper that motorcyclist who was killed last night on Hwy 61?
Me: Yea, turns out the guy was leaving a bar at 2 AM no helmet, still too bad. By the way, did you see the article about the guy who was getting into his truck after church? He slipped and fell on the ice, hit his head, and died instantly. Now there's a tragedy.
I had the same from my concerned family a few years back. Actually they have fought me from a young kid to stay away from biking.

I rode solo to a few family events, some just 12hrs away, that way the folks and family could do all the discussions about pros and cons. All the kids were thumbs up. After a while my folks had so over discussed the subject they seem to be ok with it. Or just worn out.

Then I took my moms friends out for dinner on the back of my bike (74 yr old). Oh did she brag to everyone. Slowly my mom became jealous. And then suddenly she rode on the back of my bike to a coffee shop. I just handed her my best gear and said put this on, and she did..... None of my siblings believed me. I wish i had a camera.
Romabuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #83
kz1000ken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gravy*

Mom: Did you see in the paper that motorcyclist who was killed last night on Hwy 61?
Me: Yea, turns out the guy was leaving a bar at 2 AM no helmet, still too bad. By the way, did you see the article about the guy who was getting into his truck after church? He slipped and fell on the ice, hit his head, and died instantly. Now there's a tragedy.
Said this to my mom on the way to the hospital when I broke my back falling down the icy steps of my apartment on my way to work... been riding 20 years, never got hurt bad.. Going to work almost paralyzed me.. Week in the hospital, 6 months in a body cast... still hurts today...

Ride on..
kz1000ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #84
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ken
Said this to my mom on the way to the hospital when I broke my back falling down the icy steps of my apartment on my way to work... been riding 20 years, never got hurt bad.. Going to work almost paralyzed me.. Week in the hospital, 6 months in a body cast... still hurts today...

Ride on..
Well said! Life is what happens while you are making other plans. Best to do what you enjoy and take it as it comes.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #85
ArmyStrongMD
2010 WR250R

Oddometer: 63
Carry a handgun. The 13 oz my little S&W .357mag adds is well worth the peace of mind. Wild animals, wild people, whatever, I feel confident that the little .357 could save my life. It's a lot of kick, but my 115lb girlfriend shoots it without a problem.

There is an issue of legality, as your concealed handgun license won't be valid in every state, but I really don't care. Nobody will see it unless it's about to save my life, in which case I'd rather face the consequences of carrying illegally than die.

Just my .02
ArmyStrongMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #86
Greebe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I am with ArmyStrongMD.

Take a concealed carry class and a few gun safety classes, plus maybe a scenario style training class for handguns. Then buy a pistol and train with it. I always carry a pistol when I travel, there are just to many deranged people out there these days. My father and I stopped a gas station robbery / hostage situation when we were out in the middle of nowhere filling up. Who knows what would have happened if we hadn't acted quickly.

Also one of the biggest things you can do for yourself is to constantly be aware of your surroundings and what is happening around you. This can get you out of most bad situations. Allways pay attention to how many people are at your stops, what they are doing, what your gut reaction is to how they are acting, and where your escape routes are in case something was to happen. A gun is a very, very, very last resort option.

Be safe,
Greebe
Greebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #87
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,943
Gee the States sound dangerous.

So what percentage of people per capita get shot dead in the US each year?
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #88
Jingellic86
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
My motto is "We are here for a short time - SO - Have a good time"
I take precautions and be careful, but then again, I can and do talk to anybody and everybody. A smile seems to help most of the time but I also follow my instincts and if something doesn't feel right, then I get out pronto.
Cheers
Jingellic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #89
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane

According to US gov't data you can find here, for 2007(latest data), there were 12,632 homicides by firearm.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that the population in 2007 was 301,290,332.

So purely on average, your chance of being shot and killed in the US is 12,632 divided by 301,290,332, or about 0.004%. That works out to one out of every 23,851 people.

However, your chances are not likely to reflect a pure average of the numbers. Firearm homicides are much more common in areas where the incidence of other crimes is also high, among young men, and among people engaged in drug-related, gang-related or other criminal activity. Outside of these categories, the risks can be vastly lower to the point of being negligible, but I do not have data on hand to back that up right now.
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #90
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane

On the bonus side you are less likely to be raped than in the UK or knifed than Aus. The over all crime rate isn't really higher and if you take out bad guy on bad guy violence then you could argue(Drug and Gang violence) the crime rate in the US is pretty low with a down right amazing closed case and incarceration rate. It's kind of funny that people are more and more concerned while the crime rate continues to fall but I atribute a lot of that to 24/7 live news and internet.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote