Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #121
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,378
Ed, your reply really did soothe my ruffled feathers, especially your reply to Gitana (whose explanation I agreed with). We are on the same page, I guess I misunderstood what you meant and apologize. :)

Shezonit, how cool to find another lady who started on an old Silverwing! They really are awesome little bikes, I still regret selling mine (it funded my Wee to a small extent). I appreciate your post and am curious what you ride now?

Re: the rebelling vs. being independent. I grew up in a very conservative household, so I suppose my riding the bike can be considered a type of rebellion. I adore my family and don't want to disappoint them, but this has very rarely dictated which direction I take in my life. Believe me I've pulled a few hairbrained stunts in my life and they still love me, even when they're bemoaning my actions to my face. So I'll proudly wear the rebel moniker, I would simply rather not be judged for doing so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #122
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 273
Hi Sara--- I also had a V-Strom.... just sold it in February. I've been through 7 bikes since I started riding in 2004. Now I ride a KLR650 to Mexico, Death Valley, etc. For road travel, I sold the V-Strom to buy ----ready? an '82 GL1100 Standard(no bags). So in 7 years I went from the baby 'Wing to a naked OldWing. I LOVE IT! Here's what one looks like. http://www.flickr.com/photos/philmo/2302850080/
Mine is black with gold pinstripes-- so classic. It weighs 150 lbs more than the DL, but the comfort.....and the motor.... and the seat.... ah............
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #123
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Ha ha... a Wee group!

I just noticed the bike connection... I currently have a Wee that I ride mostly on highway with some off-pavement. For highway-dirt, I still ride my KLR. For really loose stuff that is a day trip, I may take the DRZ.

I got my '06 DL650 after selling a Transalp to partially fund it. Really loved the way the Transalp rode but I did a ride-swap with my friend who bought the (then) newly released DL650 I was convinced that old technology is just... well, old!

I love the Wee... a little off subject.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #124
WaywardRider
a geek on two

Oddometer: 40
If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...264996&page=13

I'll add this caveat, though ... don't be lulled into thinking solo travel is automatically safe by the posts from those who feel they have never had an issue with safety. They stayed safe because they were smart in their travels and their decisions (and maybe a little bit lucky ).

Have to admit that I can't quite tell if you're looking for advice about travelling on your own, or about how to deal with the concerns of your family. Reckon its a bit of both.

I hope you embark on your dreamed of journeys, and come to some accommodation with your worried family and friends. But travelling solo is not for everyone, regardless of the high praise its given by those who do it (including myself). There is nothing wrong with travelling with others, it has its own charms and experiences. And, it defies the joy of solo travel if you do it for the wrong reasons. It should not be done because others have, it should not be done because you want to prove a point, it should only be done because that is the journey you want to embark upon.

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250

Blog of Spring 2011 Solo Ride through the US: http://www.waywardrider.com
WaywardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #125
shezonit

riding solo

Yeah, don't do it if it doesn't feel right for YOU. But don't let fear, and especially other people's fears, stop you doing something you want to do.

As for riding with others.... In 7 years of riding, I have only found about 3 other riders I enjoy riding "duo" or "trio" with. Most of the time I get frustrated either with the riding style- following either too close or a mile back.... with too many coffee stops, too many gas stops (as in "why didn't you fill up when everyone else did....") disagreement on where and when to eat, where to sleep, how many hrs a day to ride..... Heck , sometimes on a hot day, I just stop somewhere in the shade and sleep an hour or two.
When by myself, it is the Perfect Tour, because - surprise- it was MY tour.

Start out with a long day trip. Then a weekend trip, then a long weekend.... then a week.... you get the picture. Each time you come back safe and psyched up, your family/ friends/ boyfriend will see that you, solo, can take care of yourself.

Often women ask me "and your husband lets you do that?" LETS??? There should be no 'Letting' in an adult relationship. Letting implies permission. An adult relationship has understanding, not permission..... methinks.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #126
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit View Post
I have several pictures of myself on my bike in far places in my shop. Women will look at those and say- Wow-- you are SO brave. I say, I'm not so brave, but I AM determined.

Don't let other's fears rule YOUR life. Most people who say it's "dangerous" to travel here or there.... have NEVER BEEN there.

Get your advice from riders who have BEEN there.

If I may ask, what kind of shop and where at?

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #127
shezonit

My shop

I started 18 years ago on Flathead Lake in NW Montana. I sell things from my Asia travels--clothing, jewelry, decor, oddities-- the shop is called Rare Gifts. Over last few years more and more women's clothing. It's fun to see women having fun and I'm very grateful that it supports my travel habit.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #128
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
I'm very grateful that it supports my travel habit.
Thank you and good to hear it does too.
Best of luck to you.

(I like to know where ADV businesses are so I can support them if I am near. )

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #129
mw1111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Sara, just read that your from hanford too!

ill tell you what. take me on your cross country trip and no more troubles from the family! boyfriend might take issue with it though, lol.

Anyways, just glad to see there are advriders so close to where i live, i'd be grateful if we could meet up someday along with some other riders so i might get learned some stuff
mw1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #130
transalpinesabine
n00b

Oddometer: 4
do men feel safe with solo women?

what do you mean actually?

safe for the men or the women?

sabine
transalpinesabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #131
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
As for riding with others.... In 7 years of riding, I have only found about 3 other riders I enjoy riding "duo" or "trio" with. Most of the time I get frustrated either with the riding style- following either too close or a mile back.... with too many coffee stops, too many gas stops (as in "why didn't you fill up when everyone else did....") disagreement on where and when to eat, where to sleep, how many hrs a day to ride..... Heck , sometimes on a hot day, I just stop somewhere in the shade and sleep an hour or two.
When by myself, it is the Perfect Tour, because - surprise- it was MY tour.

Often women ask me "and your husband lets you do that?" LETS??? There should be no 'Letting' in an adult relationship. Letting implies permission. An adult relationship has understanding, not permission..... methinks.
These sentiments do not apply only to the womens...I feel exactally the same! The only person I care to ride alongside anymore is my son...but we, naturally, have fine tuned our riding styles together.
I'm someone who used to ride in big packs of hardcore riders. Anymore, I'm usually alone.

I also wholeheartedly agree with the thoughts about the permission vs. understanding. I thought marriages were supposed to be a shared trip (mindset)...not one person dominating over the other.

GREAT POST!!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #132
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Hey Sara!

Just in case you missed this on-going Ride Report I thought you might enjoy checking it out:

"A Chinaese women rider's single tourment from Beijing to Sinkiang,hello Gobi >.~"

A rare gem of a report from a young woman from the Big City riding solo across the vast Gobi Desert toward Xinjiang Provence, a region of China that is primarily Muslim in culture.

I hope it proves inspirational for you. It certainly has for me...

Ed~
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #133
Ssser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Forgot the link Ed?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668622

It's a great report, my wife is loving it and it might turn her into riding
Ssser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #134
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Ah si, Gracias Hermano!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #135
shezonit

Thanks for that cool China RR.

I love to hear about women riding the edge. Without sponsors, video teams, etc.

For myself-- just got back from 9 days in Mexico- a lotta new roads and great new people. The KLR just gets better (for me) every ride.

Not solo, but I was the only woman on the trip with 7 hombres. Where are you ADV chicks?
I'm going to Mexico again in October 2011 and March 2012. Start planning?