Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #46
zoeed
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool2

So Khan jii, we still doing the trip?

I'll prep what i need for myself and will let you know when i got myself settled....

This could be exciting, depending upon the route....

BTW border crossing from Iran-Pakistan are a big NO for punjabis (security issues). So you'll need to re-route from KKH (Kara Koram Highway), which will only be better than the quetta route. Its one of those roads bike adventurers come to pakistan for. A little update on that too, because of the floods, most bridges collapsed in that area, but on the bright side the chinese are busy making a new KKH road, which people say is only going to be better than the original KKH.

So hoping that by the time we get to do this trip, we don't have to go through alot of off road adventure.

Food for soul: Lookup Nick Sanders (7 times RTW, 4 on R1)

zoeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #47
khan46 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeed View Post
So Khan jii, we still doing the trip?

I'll prep what i need for myself and will let you know when i got myself settled....

This could be exciting, depending upon the route....

BTW border crossing from Iran-Pakistan are a big NO for punjabis (security issues). So you'll need to re-route from KKH (Kara Koram Highway), which will only be better than the quetta route. Its one of those roads bike adventurers come to pakistan for. A little update on that too, because of the floods, most bridges collapsed in that area, but on the bright side the chinese are busy making a new KKH road, which people say is only going to be better than the original KKH.

So hoping that by the time we get to do this trip, we don't have to go through alot of off road adventure.

Food for soul: Lookup Nick Sanders (7 times RTW, 4 on R1)

lets do it.
khan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #48
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I was in a similar situation to you when I took off of my dream trip. I had just finished grad school. As you can see by my avatar pic I had a background in sportbikes, and I'd never ridden offroad prior to leaving for South America. Don't hold yourself to just paved roads. After just a few hundred miles you'll feel just as home on dirt as the pavement. Remember it's not a race, so if you need to just slow down it's fine. Don't let your road choices limit the places you want t go.

As far as the bike goes I REALLY suggest against 1. paying all that money you'll never get back just to ship it there and back, and 2. taking a sportbike at all. There are a ton of choices for cheap bikes around $3k that will work much better, be a much less visible target for theft, and be much more comfortable.
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #49
zoeed
n00b

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu260r6 View Post

As far as the bike goes I REALLY suggest against 1. paying all that money you'll never get back just to ship it there and back, and 2. taking a sportbike at all. There are a ton of choices for cheap bikes around $3k that will work much better, be a much less visible target for theft, and be much more comfortable.
You are quite right. BUT
You see buying a bike has its own complications when I will need to enter my own country; customs, model year restrictions etc etc. So ultimately i'll be parting ways with roughly the same amount of money.

and besides 10 miles of off road will definitely make the bike less appealing.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #50
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 142
Has anyone gone thru Iran recently?
If you get jammed up, doubtful Pakistan will intervene on your behalf and if you're a US citizen (obviously a CIA spy) it takes a long time to get release arranged because we don't have official relations with them... Unlike the 'lost' hikers, I know you're getting a visa, but its a bad part of the world :( I saw a kid (US citizen of Iraqi descent) in an Iraqi jail who was held for two weeks for a traffic offense before they let him call his family for help.

Not trying to discourage you, but would encourage you to think through some risk-scenarios and develop your game plan accordingly. Risk has two components, likelihood and severity. For example flat-tires are likely to occur and have a moderately severe impact, but if you have the tools and knowledge to fix a flat you reduce the severity to a minor delay. Getting arrested in a foreign country for any reason is unlikely, but has a catastrophic impact and should be planned for as well in order to reduce your risk....
DesertTortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #51
zoeed
n00b

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
Has anyone gone thru Iran recently?
If you get jammed up, doubtful Pakistan will intervene on your behalf and if you're a US citizen (obviously a CIA spy) it takes a long time to get release arranged because we don't have official relations with them... Unlike the 'lost' hikers, I know you're getting a visa, but its a bad part of the world :( I saw a kid (US citizen of Iraqi descent) in an Iraqi jail who was held for two weeks for a traffic offense before they let him call his family for help.

I admire the fact that total strangers are so concerned. True biker brotherhood!

Irani's are very welcoming to Pakistani's, infact some of us have permanent houses in Iran and cross border regularly.
I'm not too optimistic about how they treat a US citizen. But Khan sab here is a Pakistani by birth so I don't think we we'll run into trouble.

Like Evan Mcgreggor said "its a motorcycle trip, not a japanese horror TV serial"

Isolated cases do occur every now and then, it would be sheer bad luck that this ride becomes one nightmare ending in jail or something.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #52
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 142
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/...est/index.html

I guess this lady doesn't plan her trips on ADV rider?
DesertTortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #53
driftr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Good luck

You should be fine as long as you are not using your US passport to get into Iran or Pakistan.
driftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #54
khan46 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftr View Post
You should be fine as long as you are not using your US passport to get into Iran or Pakistan.
I plan not to use the us passport for those two countries.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #55
zoeed
n00b

oyu need to hook me up with the guy who crosses people over without the carnet thingy...
The AA ass**** guy ain't budging, wants me to deposit 1 million PKR and won't accept a bank guarantee of an insurance bond either... bloody idiot, these things are as good as cash in hand.
Anyway I need a way around this thing.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #56
khan46 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i got a quote from Cares Shipping, that they will shipping my bike from Newyork to Germany for $785 by sea in 17 days. that includes all the fees in American and insurance (any damage or complete loss all is covered)..
this is there website and some info below..

www.carexshipping.com
Customer Service at CAREX SHIPPING
Toll-Free in USA: 800-859-6474
International: +1-979-705-2415

Carex Shipping is licensed by Federal Maritime Commission.

___/7_/7_/7____
\::::::::::::::/~~~~

just want to know if anyone has experience with them?
are the legit?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #57
driftr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Status

I wonder if you every made the trip?
driftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #58
khan46 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftr View Post
I wonder if you every made the trip?

i actually did..

heres the ride report.. it gets better with more pictures on the thread rather than asking you to go on facebook after page 5.. enjoy ;) http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=374084