User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
kdennan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
tubless or Tubliss?

I have a 2012 BMW 650 Sertao and am not totally psyched on fixing a flat with my Heidenau K60's. (insert ribbing here:)
Anyhoo, Has anyone had Woody's convert their rims to tubless? Any good results?
I talked with Jeff at Nuetech (awesome guy) as I have Tubliss in all of my woodsbikes and will never return to tubed.
He said that they are working on a DOT approved system for the road and it will be available for 17" wheels!!!
The only caveat is that it won't be ready till perhaps the end of the year. I sure hope I'm not spilling the preverbial beans here
What say you?

Actually, I read about what Woody's does to make the conversion. Sounds like I could do it, no? Silicone in the spoke wells and seal with a couple wraps of fiberglass packing tape?
Ooh. Will a tubless conversion work on a regular rim? I know that the Tubliss inner inflates and presses the bead against the rim seat. ?????

kdennan screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 09:29 AM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 615
Much to some peoples horror I and many others have great results just using silicone over the spokes inside the rim. Did mine about three years and four tires ago. Been to Inuvik and back. No problems what so ever. If you use tube type tires you'll want some kind of sealant inside because it will bleed air through the carcase. The rim should be one that has a "safety lip." Also hospitol clean when you put the goop on. The front rim on my bike doesn't have the safety bead so I use the Tubliss there. The safety bead on the rim is supposed to keep the tire from coming off if the tire goes flat. I'm mostly just paranoid the front will " blow out" when hitting a sharp ledge while a tube would have kept the air in. YMMV.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
kdennan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I wish I could get tubliss in a 17"
I suppose I'll hold out till Jeff comes out with the new product sometime around the end of the year. I really dig the Tubliss set up on my woods bike
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
After researching the cheaper silicone-the-spoke-nipple method vs. the $100 Tubliss, I don't think comparing the two is fair.

The tubliss is anchored below the bead and exerts sideways pressure upwards to stiffen the sidewalls (even at 10 psi). This is the best of both worlds...it makes the tire behave on corners (no squirm), yet makes for supple treads where the rubber meets the road.

I may be wrong but somebody running the DIY silicone method should try cornering aggressively at 10 psi & report back if the front end feels sketchy or not.

Claytonroy screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 09:14 AM
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote