ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
bduke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Perry Mountain Fire Tower 150 Dual Sport Ride

Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will be putting on a Dual Sport ride on April 12-13, 2014. This will be a no fee ride with free camping at Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club (Reynolds Pasture). Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will accept a donation if anyone wants to donate. PMMC helps support local charities. The Saturday ride will be approximately 150 miles of logging roads, fire breaks and National Forest Service roads and the Sunday ride will be approximately 75 miles. The riders will be broken in to three separate groups by riding skills level, a fast burn group, an intermediate group and a slower group. Each group will have a guide and a sweep rider. The Dual Sport ride will be challenging but not difficult. There will be very little pavement but yes there will be some asphalt. Since we will be riding on public roadway the motorcycle should be street legal.

If you will let me know who is coming and what you are riding we will have a better idea what to plan for.

Thanks and I hope to see everyone April 12 and 13th.

bduke screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 10:10 AM
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Noworries
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduke View Post
Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will be putting on a Dual Sport ride on April 12-13, 2014. This will be a no fee ride with free camping at Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club (Reynolds Pasture). Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will accept a donation if anyone wants to donate. PMMC helps support local charities. The Saturday ride will be approximately 150 miles of logging roads, fire breaks and National Forest Service roads and the Sunday ride will be approximately 75 miles. The riders will be broken in to three separate groups by riding skills level, a fast burn group, an intermediate group and a slower group. Each group will have a guide and a sweep rider. The Dual Sport ride will be challenging but not difficult. There will be very little pavement but yes there will be some asphalt. Since we will be riding on public roadway the motorcycle should be street legal.

If you will let me know who is coming and what you are riding we will have a better idea what to plan for.

Thanks and I hope to see everyone April 12 and 13th.
You already know, but to make it official: I am in.
Noworries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,096
Thanks!
I'm coming from Pensacola.
I would like to join the intermediate group.

I ride a DRZ 400 with knobbies.
Riding offroad since 1971, and have ridden enduros, hare scrambles and poker runs many times in that part of Alabama.
Maplesville, Clanton, Rockford, Jemison, Talladega and Pell City areas.

Looking forward to this event!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
bduke OP
Adventurer

Thanks Madhouse, I will keep adding more information to this thread. We have not worked out lunch details and gas stops at this time.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
I'm in if work schedule doesn't change......

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
bduke OP
Adventurer

Ride Location and Local Lodging:

GPS Address(Ride Location): 2464 County Road 26
Stanton, Alabama 36790

GPS Coordinates (Ride Location) 32.68400 -86.925089
Clanton Motel: Holiday Inn Express 205-280-1880

Selma Motels :
Hampton Inn: (334)876-9995
Holiday Inn Express: (334) 874-1000 Quality Inn: (334)874-8600
Comfort Inn: (334)875-5700
Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Always love riding at Maplesville

I am planning to be there.

Big bike friendly (KTM950, R12GS) or best on single like 450EXC? What is best bike to bring?

How many miles? (Never mind this I just actually read the whole first post)

Good places to get lunch or do we need to pack a lunch?

Will same course be used for fast burn and intermediate?

I might try the fast burn group, but depends on how tight things get in trails...
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
bduke OP
Adventurer

The KTM 450 EXC will be the best bike. We are still working on details for lunch, but we are going to try to get lunch brought to a location on the route and we will stop and eat and gas-up. We are checking to see if a local BBQ business will be able to provide lunch. Everyone will place their order(BBQ sandwich? or BBQ plate?) Saturday morning, pay and someone will go and pick-up all orders and meet us with lunch and gas. I will posted more detail once we are able to confirm how lunch will be handled. If you start with the fast burn group and decide that you do not like the pace you can just stop on the route and the next group will pick you up to join that group. The fast burn guys will leave at 9:00, the intermediate group will leave at 9:15 and the slower group will leave at 9:30. Everybody will ride the same route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc View Post
I am planning to be there.

Big bike friendly (KTM950, R12GS) or best on single like 450EXC? What is best bike to bring?

How many miles? (Never mind this I just actually read the whole first post)

Good places to get lunch or do we need to pack a lunch?

Will same course be used for fast burn and intermediate?

I might try the fast burn group, but depends on how tight things get in trails...

bduke screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 11:07 AM
Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
I passed this on to Joe and Tommy!

I'm going to try and bring brother in law 1 on a KLR650 and brother in law 2 on an XR650L. Both have lots of street experience but not much off road time. We'll probably start in intermediate and go from there.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
mikej55
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 42
Three of us plan on attending. 1 Husaberg, 1 KTM 500exc, and a KTM 450 xc. All of us will be in the fast burn group having ridden Enduros and hare scrambles, along with LBL200 and Renfroe Valley DS. Looking forward to this one as I love riding Perry Mountain events! I know of several others from our area that I am sure will attend also. Just the mention of Perry Mountain should draw a big crowd.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
scoutDad
IBA#203

Oddometer: 275
tire choice

Thinking about coming to this event and bringing my sons. I have ridden the trails at Maplesville in the past, but it has been quite a while.

We are currently running 244's on all of our bikes front and rear, pretty much a 50/50 tire. They are fine for forest service roads but not so good in the mud. Would you recommend spooning on some more agressive tires for the planned route, or would you expect the 50/50 tires to handle the terrain OK?

Thanks..oh, you asked for what we are riding...
Me, experienced rider, but riding a pig of a DR650SE with lots of mods.
My sons are new to dual sporting, both on KLX250s.
06 KLX250, 07 KLX250, 06 KLX250
1 scoutDad, 2 Eagles, and 3 KLX’s heading to Colorado
scoutDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Tires

Having ridden the Gobbler Getter enduro several times, i would suggest you go as aggressive as you can. If it's really dry it won't be such a big deal, but if there's any moisture...

You can never have too much traction.
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
bduke OP
Adventurer

I agree with Hoodis ;I would suggest you go as aggressive as you can. If it's really dry it won't be such a big deal, but if there's any moisture...
I am running Michelin AC-10 on a XR 650 L, they work great. The Dunlop 606 also work well at Perry Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutDad View Post
Thinking about coming to this event and bringing my sons. I have ridden the trails at Maplesville in the past, but it has been quite a while.

We are currently running 244's on all of our bikes front and rear, pretty much a 50/50 tire. They are fine for forest service roads but not so good in the mud. Would you recommend spooning on some more agressive tires for the planned route, or would you expect the 50/50 tires to handle the terrain OK?

Thanks..oh, you asked for what we are riding...
Me, experienced rider, but riding a pig of a DR650SE with lots of mods.
My sons are new to dual sporting, both on KLX250s.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #14
scoutDad
IBA#203

Oddometer: 275
Thanks guys. If we can make it, will plan on upgrading the tires. For most of the riding we are doing, we probably need a set of 80/20 tires anyway.
06 KLX250, 07 KLX250, 06 KLX250
1 scoutDad, 2 Eagles, and 3 KLX’s heading to Colorado
scoutDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
I will do everything I can to show up on a 450exc. Tagged of course. Work may get in the way but it looks good now.