ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Chris@UGA OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Any good trails or clubs around Athens, Georgia?

I'm selling my SV1000 and buying a dual sport and I wondered if there are any trails or bike clubs around NE Georgia?

I'll just find some dirt roads and empty forests until I can find some proper trails/dunes to ride, but I'd love to meet some like-minded folks in the area who ride off road and can give me some pointers.

I'm a beginner when it comes to the off road stuff although I've been riding street bikes for 4-5 years.

Thanks!
Chris
Chris@UGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@UGA
I'm selling my SV1000 and buying a dual sport and I wondered if there are any trails or bike clubs around NE Georgia?

I'll just find some dirt roads and empty forests until I can find some proper trails/dunes to ride, but I'd love to meet some like-minded folks in the area who ride off road and can give me some pointers.

I'm a beginner when it comes to the off road stuff although I've been riding street bikes for 4-5 years.

Thanks!
Chris
Google Durhamtown Plantation, Broadriver and Aonia pass they are all pretty close to you. I saw in thumpers you were getting a 525. Nice beginner bike. Good luck with the dunes, you will have to go to south GA. to find some small ones. Check out the DOG thread for future rides also.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Chris@UGA OP
Adventurer

I'm from Albany, Georgia and will end up towing the bike back down there from time to time to hit the sand dunes I used to ride as a kid.

Thanks for the heads up on those other 3 trails.

Also, what does the emoticon holding the paper mean? I sense the sarcasm of course, but I was just curious.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
I'm from Albany, Georgia and will end up towing the bike back down there from time to time to hit the sand dunes I used to ride as a kid.

Thanks for the heads up on those other 3 trails.

Also, what does the emoticon holding the paper mean? I sense the sarcasm of course, but I was just curious.
I must have missed that one, and have know idea. You may get some sarcasm from time to time, but most of the time unless you are in jomomma it's a pretty good crowd. Just ignore the BS and ride the new bike. Have fun and maybe we can ride together soon.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Chris@UGA OP
Adventurer

Cool.

I know that the KTM isn't exactly a beginner bike which is why I figued "nice beginner bike" was a bit of a jab.

Hopefully we can ride together sometime in the future.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Chris, there aren't too many trails/forest-service roads around here.
But there are plenty of gravel roads in the areas surrounding Athens.

You just have to go exploring for those.

There's a cool abandoned granite quarry not too far away, out some gravel roads.
(Although I heard they found a girl's body out there a month or so ago; so it may not be as accessible these days ).

I'd offer to lead you out there this weekend, but I'm supposed to go to the circus with my niece on Saturday

If you're looking for good dual-sport riding (not MX riding), your best bet is to head over towards Suches and ride the forest roads out there.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Chris@UGA OP
Adventurer

Very cool picture, Raw.

Suches is a pretty awesome place. I took my SV over there once with some friends and just took it easy in the curves, but I can see where a more experienced rider could really have a blast out there. I didn't even know there were many dirt trails around there.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Quote:
Very cool picture, Raw.

Suches is a pretty awesome place. I took my SV over there once with some friends and just took it easy in the curves, but I can see where a more experienced rider could really have a blast out there. I didn't even know there were many dirt trails around there.
Yep, there are miles and miles of forest roads of varying difficulty. When ADVers gather for the Rebel Yell or TrailerTrash over there . . . it's mostly dirt-worthy bikes you'll see.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

To find the quarry:

Look for "Point Peter" on a map. It's just off of Hwy 72, near Carlton.
Lexington-Carlton Rd to N Eves Rd to N Eades Rd.
The quarry is out at the end of N Eades Rd, past a pond.

Here's a pic of my bro-in-law out there
Old 02-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
BlackDucRider
Banned

Oddometer: 75
you could always come on out to www.Highlandparkresort.com and ride
BlackDucRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
mattyhode
n00b

Oddometer: 1
my back yard

if any of y'all are still around, let me know. these quarries are where i go shooting and swimming. sometimes in that order, sometimes not. i'm new to the duel sport bike but i'm diggin' it. give a yell.

matty
mattyhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,831
Hi, Matt!

I've been enjoying Town Creek ORV Area in the Oconee National Forest in Greene County...

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_e410.htm

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/facili...?facilityid=66

Loop A (bikes only) is also known as Roberts' Bike Camp, which consists of 8.6 miles of single-track through the forest.

Loop B is for bikes and ATV's, about 7.5 miles long and quite a bit easier (wider & not as technical) than Loop A.

Both parking areas are well-maintained, with area maps, picnic tables, and a vault toilet.

Cost is $5 per bike per day. Similar to the State Parks' Day Pass, slip your fiver into the envelope, remove the tag and hang it on your rear-view mirror, and drop the envelope into the collection box.

It's one of the best deals going, unless you know someone with trails on private land. The trails at Town Creek are in good condition and pretty well maintained. Occasionally I'll ride the trails with my chainsaw strapped to the bike and take care of deadfall in areas that can't be bypassed.

The Forest Service doesn't want folks riding in 'wet conditions' (their wording). Most of the mud bogs can be bypassed, but if a tropical storm hovers overhead for three days, sections of the trails will be nearly impassable, and the Rangers (and us riders) don't want the trails wrecked due to excessive wheelspin.

Both trails are closed to riding during Deer Hunting Season (this year, October 20 - Jan. 1), so get it while you can.

It's usually not crowded, and all the riders I've ever met there are friendly and responsible. See you there Saturday.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW View Post
To find the quarry:

Look for "Point Peter" on a map. It's just off of Hwy 72, near Carlton.
Lexington-Carlton Rd to N Eves Rd to N Eades Rd.
The quarry is out at the end of N Eades Rd, past a pond.
There used to be a motocross track out here.. I rode there a few times in the late 80s. The track is at the end of the route here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=a...=h&mra=ls&z=11

We had some trails on the east side of Athens out off Whitehead, before the elementery school was built. Used to be a greyhound race track that was no longer used.. except for dirt bikes.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
We had some trails on the east side of Athens out off Whitehead, before the elementery school was built. Used to be a greyhound race track that was no longer used.. except for dirt bikes.
I know the place. I grew up on Barnett Shoals. That would be Whit Davis Road though... Whitehead is across town.
XR400 Index
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

And a Bump, just because.
XR400 Index