Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #151
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,629
The justified civil suit is what the employer of the officer wishes to avoid. If the officer has a criminal conviction, the civil suit is much easier, If they can avoid the criminal suit, then often they can win or reduce the civil suit. This is not right, but it is the way it is.

They know the officer fucked up. After the civil suit and all appeals are over, said officer will normally resign to pursue other options. Until then, most departments keep him where he can do little if any harm. Shaving a few million of a civil suit is worth a few years of this idiots salary.

This is usual procedure. It varies.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #152
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Its not that uncommon for an officer to draw his weapon on a traffic stop. There is no such thing as a "routine" traffic stop, it is always an unknown danger. I will pull mine sometimes as I exit my police car and approach a vehicle. However I dont point it at somebody unless they pose some sort of threat. I generally hold it down behind my leg and the citizen rarely ever realizes my weapon left the holster.
I am not a trained LEO. I am a citizen. I agree with the above. Cops are in a potentially life threatening situation every time they pull someone over.

That said, I have no problem if for some valid reason a cop wants his gun in hand, behind his leg, etc. No skin off my nose.

However, you better have a damn good reason to point it at me, as that is when lethal mistakes are made.

As for the cop in the video, I watched it, not sure why he fired, accidental discharge or whatever. They were probably in felony stop mode since it was 2 guys on bike and they had just been accelerating at high speed, dunno... guessing. I saw no reason for the officer to point the weapon at the rider, nor to have his finger on the trigger.

Seems like unless I'm missing something the guy shot a man for no reason.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 04:03 PM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #153
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,482
Glad your not on his next jury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I am not a trained LEO. I am a citizen. I agree with the above. Cops are in a potentially life threatening situation every time they pull someone over.

That said, I have no problem if for some valid reason a cop wants his gun in hand, behind his leg, etc. No skin off my nose.

However, you better have a damn good reason to point it at me, as that is when lethal mistakes are made.

As for the cop in the video, I watched it, not sure why he fired, accidental discharge or whatever. They were probably in felony stop mode since it was 2 guys on bike and they had just been accelerating at high speed, dunno... guessing. I saw no reason for the officer to point the weapon at the rider, nor to have his finger on the trigger.

Seems like unless I'm missing something the guy shot a man for no reason.

Barry

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #154
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I've had one pointed directly at me and been told to "GET ON THE GROUND!".
My record is six.

A misunderstanding.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #155
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
I...They were probably in felony stop mode since it was 2 guys on bike and they had just been accelerating at high speed, dunno...
They were on Harley's. They were hardly accelerating at high speed...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #156
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
My record is six.

A misunderstanding.
Not a misunderstanding(s). You probably have an attitude that prompts cops to take a defensive posture.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #157
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
My record is six.

A misunderstanding.
I think I'm there with you.

Something about "You really think I was looking behind me at 145mph? NO I didn't see the lights"
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #158
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
Glad your not on his next jury
Not sure why that is, are you for or against the cop???

Accidental discharge is the responsibility of the officer. Had the weapon not been pointed at the subject, the accidental discharge would have resulted in a loud BANG... not a life-threatening mistake. Further, the officer had no reason to have his finger on the trigger. And from what I could tell (admittedly not much) from the video, he had no reason to point the weapon at the rider at all. OR, did he intentionally pull the trigger. Based on what I see, but are incorrect in the situation, one is gross negligence, the other attempted murder... IMHO.

I mentioned what I did in my first post as reasons why the officer *may* have done what he did, not to condone it.

He needs to be convicted, as he acted IMHO with gross negligence. If a citizen did that, we'd be in prison for murder... plain and simple.

Any lawyers in the house know if such an accidental discharge can be criminal? And as others have said, there is a massive civil suit coming against the department is my guess... they have money, the cop likely does not.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #159
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,482
in the trial the cop showed ZERO remorse for shooting the motorcyclist. there are several follow up articles in the local papers. He even claimed he acted as he was trained. He shook his head as the judge sentenced him, never once offered any type of apology. POS! this guy deserves a lot more than 10 years.

in the civil case, the motorcyclist was awarded $5million plus medical.

the cyclist wakes up looking at a wheel chair for the rest of his life.
the puke should wake up behind bars for the rest of his.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #160
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
in the trial the cop showed ZERO remorse for shooting the motorcyclist. there are several follow up articles in the local papers. He even claimed he acted as he was trained. He shook his head as the judge sentenced him, never once offered any type of apology. POS! this guy deserves a lot more than 10 years.

in the civil case, the motorcyclist was awarded $5million plus medical.

the cyclist wakes up looking at a wheel chair for the rest of his life.
the puke should wake up behind bars for the rest of his.
Can't say I disagree....

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #161
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Not a misunderstanding(s). You probably have an attitude that prompts cops to take a defensive posture.

You are wrong. It was a felony stop on a dark rural road. Why they felt the need to have 6 there I know not? Perhaps there just happened to be that many in the vicinity?

It was indeed a misunderstanding due to my Wife having reported the car stolen a few weeks earlier when a parking garage in Seattle had misplaced it. It was located the next day on the top floor of the garage sitting behind a van but the misses failed to rescind the stolen car report.

I like LEO's and am always respectful when stopped. I have been "let go with a warning" more times than I can remember because I always address them in a professional and genial manner.

In this instance the Wife was there with me so after a brief moment of tension... being searched and cuffed the matter was cleared up.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #162
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Pissed I was stopped

I was stopped at night, wearing all black leathers on my LOUD cruiser. They thought I was gonna run, I think, but I pulled right over. I waited till they (2 HiPos) were up to me before I got off of the bike. First thing that I told them was I was a CHL holder and was carrying at this time. Officer asked me where it was, I said in my vest right beside my wallet. He asked I he could take possesion of my weapon, I said yes. I don't know at that point if I could have refused since I was legal to carry it. But I wasn't in the arguing mood. He went and ran my handgun to see if it was stolen, and I knew that it wasn't. Then I asked the other officer could I get my id out because it was where my pistol had been. I have a front zipper pistol pocket on my vest. Long story short, they just gave me a warning and handed back my pistol, totally unloaded, every shell out of the clip.....I was like "what the heck"? Then one says, "can you wait til we leave before you reload it?". Just another inconveinence......ugh. What was I gonna do at that point? I should have handed it back to him and asked him to give it back in the condition he took it in.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #163
Barry
Just Beastly

I was stopped in a Mustang GT, tinted windows, driving around a residential snobby neighborhood on a Sunday morning, looking for a car dealership that had a Volvo 240 for sale.

Anyway, I got pulled over before finding the dealer. 2 very nice lady cops, one was very hot. I had not been pulled since getting a carry permit, so I put both hands out the window, said I got a carry permit, and asked "what do you want me to do"?

They split up, one on each side of the car, and said "come on out, we'll hold your gun until we see your permit". I didn't have a problem. They even frisked me, got my paperwork, and about 30 seconds later they were gone.

No biggie...

Barry

Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #164
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
You are wrong. It was a felony stop on a dark rural road. Why they felt the need to have 6 there I know not? Perhaps there just happened to be that many in the vicinity?

It was indeed a misunderstanding due to my Wife having reported the car stolen a few weeks earlier when a parking garage in Seattle had misplaced it. It was located the next day on the top floor of the garage sitting behind a van but the misses failed to rescind the stolen car report.

I like LEO's and am always respectful when stopped. I have been "let go with a warning" more times than I can remember because I always address them in a professional and genial manner.

In this instance the Wife was there with me so after a brief moment of tension... being searched and cuffed the matter was cleared up.
Now it's my turn to mis-understand. I read it as six events, not six cops at once. Apologies.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #165
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
LEO's signed on for the hazardous duty when they accepted the job
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote