Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #16
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
I am not going to agree that he knew exactly what he was doing, I am going with the idea that he did not follow his training. There is no reason his finger should have been on the trigger of the gun unless he intended to shoot (which he may have) but if he drew and had his finger on the trigger he may have unintentionally pulled it in a rush of adrenaline. This is why they train you never to put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.

I am also not seeing any good reason that he should have had his gun drawn in the fist place, the perpetrator had stopped his bike (if he had not shut it down the office should have remained in the car and ordered him to do so), and was waiting to talk to the officer. If he wanted him off of the bike he could have easily accomplished that without having to draw a weapon.

His next immediate action should have been to ensure that the perpetrator was of no immediate danger to him (no weapons within reach) and then call an ambulance and render aid.

Maybe one of our resident law enforcement officers could weigh in here and provide an opinion.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #17
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,777
Normally I take issue with the cop bashing threads. But not this one! BASH AWAY! Simply unbelievable. The poor kid did everything he was supposed to (after being a moron and trying to run at first). He stopped, remained calm, didn't try to flee on foot, etc. And he gets shot in the back? That is PHUCKED UP. I hope that stupid ass cop gets all of those 11 years and I hope he gets shanked in the back so he knows what it feels like. What a piece of shit.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #18
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
Bullshit! Theres no such thing unless you are a complete moron messing around with a bang stick.

This man is supposed to be a trained professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief
I am not going to agree that he knew exactly what he was doing, I am going with the idea that he did not follow his training. There is no reason his finger should have been on the trigger of the gun unless he intended to shoot (which he may have) but if he drew and had his finger on the trigger he may have unintentionally pulled it in a rush of adrenaline. This is why they train you never to put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
captainchaos
should know better

Oddometer: 78
I say give him the same treatment, a bullet. Only fair. Any private citizen who did that would be given far worse than just 11 years in the can. That's complete bullshit, and should have been dealt with more harshly. I can only think of one cop I actually like and respect, and this is a prime example of why myself and numerous others have no love for LEOs. I've never had any trouble with them while on a bike, as I don't do stupid stuff on it, but I still get concerned when they follow me.
captainchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I say give him the same treatment, a bullet. Only fair. Any private citizen who did that would be given far worse than just 11 years in the can.
No they wouldn't 8- 12 years...
Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger
Now if this was not so disturbing would be funny I have seen freaks in my life but this is right there at the top
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger
Sorry... thats not accidental. Once again, someone that should know better because they have the training and presumably passed the tests doing something that they know they should not.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #23
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
What we aren't considering....

...we are looking through the eyes of the cam-corder not the Officer.
I'm not defending the Cops actions at all but, based on his angle of view, the H.D. rider could have looked like he'd just drawn a weapon and had it by his waist side, ready to fire.

I do agree with all the should have reacted differently comments based on the Cops training and what-not but; I also understand how adrenaline can make shit happen that you never intended to do.

Thinking about what's going to happen to that Cop if he finds his way into the general prison population; I think he'll get what Karma is comming his way.

All in all, what happend is the result of people being stupid on both sides of this coin.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
No way. The idiot that lost it and ran over the curb got the cops attention, then he walked up and shot that guy in the back before the kid even had a chance to stop long enough to put his hands up. This is absolute bullshit, and that cop's whole life better be spent paying for ruining a human life. NO EXCUSE!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #25
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,348
There is about a zillion page thread on this in CS&M. Merged with a bunch of other ILuvUMan cop threads.

Personally, I don't think the guy ran. Police car lights came on a whole 15 seconds or so before the rider pulled over.

The rider had the bike in gear and could not raise his hands without shutting off the engine or having the bike lurch, either of which would probably also resulted in a shooting.

Second, the victim, paralyzed for life, may lose his leg from the very bad burns he got because the shooter cop, and the second cop on the scene, refused to move the running bike off the victim. It took the victim's DUI friend to move the bike.

All in all, hard to watch.

I am going to make sure that I my bike in neutral before I stop for a cop, and keep my hands held high, and hope its not my wife collecting from the lawsuit. Remember, get the bike in neutral before you stop, your life may depend on it.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #26
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob

I am going to make sure that I my bike in neutral before I stop for a cop, and keep my hands held high, and hope its not my wife collecting from the lawsuit. Remember, get the bike in neutral before you stop, your life may depend on it.
Not just neutral...turn the freaking thing OFF. I.M.H.O. leaving the bike running is telling the cops you might try to flee the scene and it's as idiotic as making sudden movements.

A good routine if you will...
1. Pull over A.S.A.P.
2. Shut it down.
3. Place you hands on the bars and wait for the Officer to come up to you and perform his routine.
I've always done it this way for years and even had one Officer comment how it showed respect (shutting the bike down).

One thing I have noticed where I live is that, if you're going a little over the speed limit but you're dressed in all your gear; they tend to let you slide a little more.
On the other hand, if you're one of the non-atgatt riders around here and have any kind of loud pipes (sport-bike or pirates) ...they'll pull you over for the slightest infraction.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #27
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep

One thing I have noticed where I live is that, if you're going a little over the speed limit but you're dressed in all your gear; they tend to let you slide a little more.
On the other hand, if you're one of the non-atgatt riders around here and have any kind of loud pipes (sport-bike or pirates) ...they'll pull you over for the slightest infraction.
I've noticed that too. I'm ATGATT even in the heat and I flew by a hiding cop at 10 over in a heavily patrolled area a few weeks ago and he didn't bat an eye. I see cars get pulled over (and have been myself in a cage many years ago) in the same area for doing 5-7 over. (yeah yeah yeah I know I shouldn't have been speeding anyway but it's a stupid speed limit -- it drops from 50 t0 45 to35 in about a half mile just because it goes through an underpass with an on and off ramp. )

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #28
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,831
I am not one that usually defends the actions of cops but I am thinking the cop might have been in the right.

First, why did the "bikers" take off like that from a stop with a cop right behind them? (When sitting at a stop, you look in your mirror to judge approaching vehicles, right?)

Did the "biker" put his side stand down?

The movement that the the "biker" made was, to me, not a natural response... why did he look over his right shoulder instead of his left? That arm movement (in slow motion and seen several times) looks questionable to me.

Lastly, if you look like a badass, why would you expect to be treated like a nice happy guy in a suit and tie?

Just asking.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #29
GSman of La Mancha
So!? My dog loves me...

Oddometer: 602
2 cents

Wasnt the biker that was shot wearing a t-shirt? I wonder why the cop didnt go for less than lethal force first - I mean a taser. He could have juiced the guy real good if he felt threatened - he was close enough it seems.

IMHO, the cop was absolutely wrong.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris
I am not one that usually defends the actions of cops but I am thinking the cop might have been in the right.

First, why did the "bikers" take off like that from a stop with a cop right behind them? (When sitting at a stop, you look in your mirror to judge approaching vehicles, right?)

Did the "biker" put his side stand down?

The movement that the the "biker" made was, to me, not a natural response... why did he look over his right shoulder instead of his left? That arm movement (in slow motion and seen several times) looks questionable to me.

Lastly, if you look like a badass, why would you expect to be treated like a nice happy guy in a suit and tie?

Just asking.
I don't think the riders knew it was a cop behind them. They were riding paint shaker HDs at night. All they saw were headlights behind them. In fact, watch the full video & you will see the cop car rolls several stop signs prior to the one the riders zoom off from. Were it me & I saw a car behind me roll several stop signs at night after the bars close, I too would want to get away from the potential drunk driver.

Good point on shutting the bike off. Only problem is the cop could consider that a reach for a weapon and you are dead. Hands way up may be safer. Maybe nuetral, shut bike off, coast to stop, hands up, and pray.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote