ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #31
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic
 
Fishyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Oddometer: 3,112
He'd have to reach somewhere on the bike to shut the thing off. The kill switch is on the bar and the ignition key is under the headstock or under the seat. With former office White behind the trigger, any one of us could have been shot.
__________________
Duy. You know, like the decimal system.
Spot shared page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...FogjjtYMdOqF2n
Fishyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #32
D R
----
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 434
This won't apply to all motorcycles....

If your kickstand is equipped with an ignition switch, when you come to a stop, keep both hands on the handle bars, leave it in gear and just put the kickstand down. Your engine is now off.
D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #33
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 10,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R
This won't apply to all motorcycles....

If your kickstand is equipped with an ignition switch, when you come to a stop, keep both hands on the handle bars, leave it in gear and just put the kickstand down. Your engine is now off.
Well, simply hitting the killswitch with your thumb does the same thing. But neither turns the ignition off, so your lights will still be on. Gotta reach for the key if you want to kill the lights too.
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #34
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer
 
marksbonneville's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Arizona, Prescott more less.
Oddometer: 961
Guilty

http://www.toledoblade.com/article/2...348/0/ARCHIVES

Looks like this bad cop may get educated on the hazards of shooting an unarmed person in the back. Prison time for a bad cop cannot be much fun.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic
 
Fishyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Gotta reach for the key if you want to kill the lights too.
And get yourself killed in process
__________________
Duy. You know, like the decimal system.
Spot shared page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...FogjjtYMdOqF2n
Fishyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #36
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 4,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Well, simply hitting the killswitch with your thumb does the same thing. But neither turns the ignition off, so your lights will still be on. Gotta reach for the key if you want to kill the lights too.
That's a lot of silly shit to remember when the fact that you're in deep shit for DUI is still soaking through the alcoholic fog.

What I mean is, the poor guy is just figuring out he's busted. He's probably (?) at least somewhat inebriated. His mind's racing, he's trying to figure out what the cop wants him to do, he turns around (to the right, since that's the side the car is on) to hear better, *blam*.

It's also an assumption that the sidestand switch isn't sitting on a shelf in the garage, where it won't clutter up the lines, man.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
SocalRob's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles @ base of Angeles Crest Hwy
Oddometer: 11,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward
That's a lot of silly shit to remember when the fact that you're in deep shit for DUI is still soaking through the alcoholic fog.

What I mean is, the poor guy is just figuring out he's busted. He's probably (?) at least somewhat inebriated. His mind's racing, he's trying to figure out what the cop wants him to do, he turns around (to the right, since that's the side the car is on) to hear better, *blam*.

It's also an assumption that the sidestand switch isn't sitting on a shelf in the garage, where it won't clutter up the lines, man.
Well, if you can't handle all that thought process the cops probably figure its ok just to shoot your drunk ass. (just kidding, I hope ).
__________________
Rob

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #38
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R
This won't apply to all motorcycles....

If your kickstand is equipped with an ignition switch, when you come to a stop, keep both hands on the handle bars, leave it in gear and just put the kickstand down. Your engine is now off.
Putting the kickstand down requires lifting your leg, which Officer White interprets that move as going for the Derringer or knife you may have hidden in your boot, BAMM! your dead!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #39
Beach40
Banned
 
Beach40's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Newport, Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 2,975
It will be interesting to see what sentance is handed down.

Will the judge give justice to the victim or side with the police?
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #40
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 684
I am surprised this video even seen the light of day. Too often in these cases the video gets lost, misplaced, accidentally erased etc.., and then it is just another case of the victims word against the cop's. Cop says he reaches for a gun, victim says no way, but in court all is not equal, after all cops never lie, NEVER! Then victim is not only paralyzed, he gets prison time for assault on a peace officer. Happens all the time. I am also surprised victim did not end up with a gun, he never knew he had.

As far as what the cop will get now, probably just probation, after all he is just a good ol boy and Judge has probably known him and worked with him for years.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #41
GreenGene
Adventurer
 
GreenGene's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager
As far as what the cop will get now, probably just probation, after all he is just a good ol boy and Judge has probably known him and worked with him for years.
I agree with a lot of what you said, Khager. I live 10 minutes from the area that this incident happened, so I've been paying close attention to this story from the very beginning.

I've been surprised by a few things since the beginning. That this case was independently looked into and then prosecuted surprised me first. That the officer was found guilty, took me by surprise also. Now that he has been found guilty, from the little I know, I don't think he can get off with 'just probation'. There is a gun specification attached to this felony crime and I believe that a minimum 3 year sentence goes along with that... although I'm not sure on procedures and I'm hoping that he cannot get "shock probation", or "judicial release". I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I'm surprised once again and that the maximum sentence (11 years) is handed down, but I'm not holding my breath.

I honestly do not take pleasure in whatever punishment this convicted ex-officer gets... but for there to be justice and as a preventative note to others in authority, I think the maximum is warranted. In my opinion, this ex-officer was a hot-head and had no business in law enforcement.
GreenGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #42
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
Ummn... who really gives a freak...

...if the lights are still on?
Hitting the ignition kill switch will at least kill the engine and that's what's saying you aren't going to flee.

I'm surprised more people around here haven't been shot!

...and if the biker being drunk is actually a good excuse for impropper actions...
...then it doesn't matter that the Cop shot the kid since he was riding with a death wish anyway.

In this particular case = two idiots got theirs. (Cop and Kid)
One for being a power nut and the other for being an idiot.

Where I might agree the Karmic justice seems harsh for the kid, it's been my experience that the big tuff types are usually assholes anyway so I'll justify my responses by saying, don't deal it and you wont be punished by it. (Karma)
W.T.F. with all the other assumptions being made here, I might as well make a few unfounded ones myself.

Did anyone else notice how fast the other cop car arrived at the scene?
(like he was called in for back-up ahead of time)
Cops usually don't call in another (and have the other arrive THAT fast) unless they've called in the tags and found out some bad shit about those guys while folliwing them.

Also, if the two knuckleheads had just been riding like normal guys; would they have even been pulled over?
Hmmn?

Wow! More food for thought. Which B.T.W. is my whole point for being an antagonist or "Devils advocate" if you will.
Most People don't think enough about how their actions will result in reactions from others. And since most you guys are decent enough and I'd hate to see the same thing happen to any of you...
The real point I'm trying to make is the highlighted one.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #43
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 4,324
Most riders don't use the cut-off switch on the bar, so they don't think to use it when it could be beneficial. IF the rider was intoxicated (?) then it'd be about the last method he tried, right after holding the brake and dumping the clutch. Which would probably get him shot.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know that the rider was intoxicated, the engine was running, or much of anything else. Why would I want to ruin all this wild speculation with facts?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #44
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 4,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
Most People don't think enough about how their actions will result in reactions from others.
True dat. And then, how that reaction will affect them, and how the reaction to that will cause someone else to react, and then [...]
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #45
Craigart14
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
...if the lights are still on?
Hitting the ignition kill switch will at least kill the engine and that's what's saying you aren't going to flee.

I'm surprised more people around here haven't been shot!

...and if the biker being drunk is actually a good excuse for impropper actions...
...then it doesn't matter that the Cop shot the kid since he was riding with a death wish anyway.

In this particular case = two idiots got theirs. (Cop and Kid)
One for being a power nut and the other for being an idiot.

Where I might agree the Karmic justice seems harsh for the kid, it's been my experience that the big tuff types are usually assholes anyway so I'll justify my responses by saying, don't deal it and you wont be punished by it. (Karma)
W.T.F. with all the other assumptions being made here, I might as well make a few unfounded ones myself.

Did anyone else notice how fast the other cop car arrived at the scene?
(like he was called in for back-up ahead of time)
Cops usually don't call in another (and have the other arrive THAT fast) unless they've called in the tags and found out some bad shit about those guys while folliwing them.

Also, if the two knuckleheads had just been riding like normal guys; would they have even been pulled over?
Hmmn?

Wow! More food for thought. Which B.T.W. is my whole point for being an antagonist or "Devils advocate" if you will.
Most People don't think enough about how their actions will result in reactions from others. And since most you guys are decent enough and I'd hate to see the same thing happen to any of you...
The real point I'm trying to make is the highlighted one.
Is it illegal to accelerate quickly away from a stop sign? I don't know what the speed limit is there, but they may not even have been speeding. The quick arrival of the second cop car shows that the shooter had already called for backup, so he was planning to stop these two for something, even before they raced away from the stop.

All that, of course, means nothing. I've been stopped for speeding five or six times. I honestly don't remember what I did with my hands while waiting for the cop to approach, but I do know that no cop has ever pulled a gun on me. The victim had turned slightly in the saddle, and his right hand, which supposedly had a gun in it, was clearly visible in the lights from the cop car. Why would a cop be so close to losing it during a routine traffic stop with backup on the way? So close to the edge that he shot someone in the back with no gun in sight?

I've got nothing against cops. Most do a tough job pretty well. I have run into a few, though, who just like to throw their weight around. One rang my bell one day and told me he was going to arrest me for obstruction. Seems I was guilty of the heinous crime of feeding a stray dog, which is curled up under my desk right now. Save a dog, risk arrest . . . at least he didn't shoot me. But most cops, I think, do a good job. A few forget that they are cops and think instead that they are judge, jury, and executioner.

No excuses for Officer White.

Did they really refuse to lift the hot bike off him? Not cops, but scumbags.

Craig
Craigart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014