Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #46
Midnightventure OP
-

Oddometer: 733
My 1996 Sportster didn'thave a kickstand switch.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #47
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigart14
The victim had turned slightly in the saddle, and his right hand, which supposedly had a gun in it, was clearly visible in the lights from the cop car. Why would a cop be so close to losing it during a routine traffic stop with backup on the way? So close to the edge that he shot someone in the back with no gun in sight?

A few forget that they are cops and think instead that they are judge, jury, and executioner.

No excuses for Officer White.

Did they really refuse to lift the hot bike off him? Not cops, but scumbags.

Craig
I would like to know what Officer White had to say for himself when these questions were put to him and why he didnt follow procedure?
Why did he leave the siren on?
Why did he pull his weapon in the first place?
After drawing his weapon why didnt he issue instructions to take control, such as get off the bike, lay down, place the poor chap in handcuffs, etc?

I would still consider this heavy handed, excessive and unnecessary, but its a far cry from a bullet in the back and making this man a paraplegic.

Having said that, I can understand why police, particular in the USA place someone in handcuffs as a matter of course in these situations. As has been mentioned, peoples reactions can be unpredictable in stressful situations especially if its an average punter with no training or experience in such matters. They could be under the influence of all manner of substances, etc.

Yes police have a difficult job. Its not pleasant being exposed to and having to deal with the less than desirable elements of society on a daily basis. However, thats whats training and procedures are for and last time I checked, these individuals volunteered. Police are issued with weapons and the discretion to exercise deadly force, so they must be held to a higher standard. If the pressures of the job get to much, then they are no longer effective and tragedies like this will happen.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #48
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire

Hmmmm seemed to work for me for 5 years.......

That is almost as bad as the kid shooting the lady up here in Washington claiming he thought it was a bear.....
grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #49
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
and 11 years is a joke he should have to take care of the guy who he shot for life....

You know hes going to need TONS of help.
grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #50
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire

Hmmmm seemed to work for me for 5 years.......

That is almost as bad as the kid shooting the lady up here in Washington claiming he thought it was a bear.....
Officer testified that it was not an unintended gunshot. Officer testified that he shot the guy on purpose.

In defense of the cops not lifting the still running bike off the victim while his leg was being badly burned by the pipes, remember, the victim had his spinal cord severed so could not feel the burns to his leg. I would guess the cops did not see a sense of urgency.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #51
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
Officer testified that it was not an unintended gunshot. Officer testified that he shot the guy on purpose.

In defense of the cops not lifting the still running bike off the victim while his leg was being badly burned by the pipes, remember, the victim had his spinal cord severed so could not feel the burns to his leg. I would guess the cops did not see a sense of urgency.
Yeah he was to busy telling the severely wounded individual to put his hands behind his back. How long before an ambulance was called? I guess they didnt see the need for urgent medical attention. Really it was just a bullet wound...
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #52
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville
http://www.toledoblade.com/article/2...348/0/ARCHIVES

Looks like this bad cop may get educated on the hazards of shooting an unarmed person in the back. Prison time for a bad cop cannot be much fun.
Not much fun for him.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #53
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob

The irony is that if he had said it was unintentional instead of trying to justify it, he wouldn't be facing up to 11 years. I wonder whose lawyer's advice he was following: his own or the municipality's?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #54
chainslap
BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer: 763
Sorry, I missed the dog pile in CS&M.

Hindsight and all that; the cop made some really poor judgment calls.

Having two friends who are officers and knowing several others, this kind of crap hurts many good officers credibility.

Fuck eleven years. The officer should be hung up by his balls and have MEK poured into his anal cavity via a funnel. Stuff a wash rag in his ass and light it. Then let mental patients use a long bamboo stick pinata style till he shoots sparks from his ears. Fucker.
chainslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #55
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
I haven't read this whole thread so maybe it's been said, but even so it's worth mentioning again.

This has little or nothing to do with motorcycling. This thread serves nothing more than to feed the cop-bashers, and it and similar threads should be banished to jo mamma, IMHO.

I have nothing against showing the bad actions of cops. There are a lot of us in the world, and given the situations we are asked to make decisions in sometimes we make mistakes. We have big shoulders and thick skins. We can take it, but find the right forum for it.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #56
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Yes,lets Bureaucracies it,unless its filed in the right place it doesn't count
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #57
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,023
I'm disgusted by the episode, but I see the value in keeping it in the proper thread.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #58
oilhead110
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Was it an Alabama LEO? Their the worst of the worst.
oilhead110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #59
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
“Lets not bicker over who killed who…This is supposed to be a happy occasion.”
Old 05-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #60
Midnightventure OP
-

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputyjones
I haven't read this whole thread so maybe it's been said, but even so it's worth mentioning again.

This has little or nothing to do with motorcycling. This thread serves nothing more than to feed the cop-bashers, and it and similar threads should be banished to jo mamma, IMHO.

I have nothing against showing the bad actions of cops. There are a lot of us in the world, and given the situations we are asked to make decisions in sometimes we make mistakes. We have big shoulders and thick skins. We can take it, but find the right forum for it.
I posted this originally without even knowing what was going on in Jo Mamma. I have no interest in all the arguing that goes on there. I wanted people that might not know to be extra careful during a traffic stop. A lot of people have no idea how much danger they are in because of the way cops feel during a traffic stop.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote