Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #61
Midnightventure OP
-

Oddometer: 713
I am curious. I would like an answer from some of the cops. What percentage across the country are aware of this incident and the final consequences for the cop? I would think there would be some kind of a notification system so that all could learn.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #62
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,237
cops and 'learn'
Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #63
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
IMHO, f**king ridiculous. If you watch the timer at the top of the video, there's approx. 13 seconds of "chase" until the guy stops at the very next stop sign. Then there's another 9 seconds until the cop shoots (it sounds like a lot shorter between when the cop asks the rider to comply and when he shoots but I won't speculate about that). I realize this was a very tense situation, but it seems like very VERY little time was allowed. Also, what's this bull about neither of the cops pulling the bike off his lifeless body? Not sure what it's like up there in the North, but down here its to "Protect and Serve", not "Shoot then Wait Around".
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #64
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputyjones
I haven't read this whole thread so maybe it's been said, but even so it's worth mentioning again.

This has little or nothing to do with motorcycling. This thread serves nothing more than to feed the cop-bashers, and it and similar threads should be banished to jo mamma, IMHO.

I have nothing against showing the bad actions of cops. There are a lot of us in the world, and given the situations we are asked to make decisions in sometimes we make mistakes. We have big shoulders and thick skins. We can take it, but find the right forum for it.
I don't see this as a cop bashing topic, and everyone should be aware that just because a person wears a badge, it does not make them, honest, trained, or even sane. However the topic has a lot to do with riding a motorcycle as we should be aware of who we share the road with, even those wearing a badge who may want to shoot us for no reason.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #65
wantmontana
Part time adventurer

Oddometer: 263
walk a mile

I think before judging what happened, you should walk in our shoes. I am not going to quarterback what went on here, but until you have done the job I think you should not be so quick to judge. Name another job other than the military where you can be killed just because of the job you do. Look at the 4 officers in Lakewood, WA. Having wrestled with a bad guy whose clear intention was to take my gun and kill me just because I was doing my job, I can say that I have had fear the likes of which most will never know. Had it not been for a good samaritan I would probably have been shot. Did I mention the guy was a biker?? That being said I too bike and can thankfully say I have not had to shoot anyone but it is a very dangerous job. People hide their hands, don't follow orders. And cops make mistakes. It happens. Just remember, here in the states we are the line between your safety and anarchy! Just sayin.
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure (black) SOLD
01 plated XR 650R SOLD
wantmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #66
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmontana
Just remember, here in the states we are the line between your safety and anarchy! Just sayin.
That's not what Warren v. District says!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #67
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,237
Wow. There might be a reason to shoot a man in the back?

That's rich.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #68
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,619
Quote:
I think before judging what happened, you should walk in our shoes. I am not going to quarterback what went on here, but until you have done the job I think you should not be so quick to judge. Name another job other than the military where you can be killed just because of the job you do. Look at the 4 officers in Lakewood, WA. Having wrestled with a bad guy whose clear intention was to take my gun and kill me just because I was doing my job, I can say that I have had fear the likes of which most will never know. Had it not been for a good samaritan I would probably have been shot. Did I mention the guy was a biker?? That being said I too bike and can thankfully say I have not had to shoot anyone but it is a very dangerous job. People hide their hands, don't follow orders. And cops make mistakes. It happens. Just remember, here in the states we are the line between your safety and anarchy! Just sayin.
Law enforcement is not even in the top 10 job categories for per capita work related deaths in the US. Law enforcement is actually a pretty safe job statistically.

Remember, the officer in this case has actually been convicted by a jury, so the hip shooting by the internet cowboys is not as wild as with some of these stories.

I think most here will agree that we need to strike a balance between absolute officer safety resulting in back shooting a motorists who appeared to be trying to follow the officer's directions on the one hand, and bobbies in England running around without guns at the mercy of bad guys on the other. I would hope there is middle ground. It is harder to find that middle ground if the police form a wall of silence about mistakes, bad judgement, and criminal acts committed by their brother officers.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #69
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
I agree that police do a generally thankless job, however in this case I think the officer in question was incompetent, maybe incapable of doing the job, and a danger to public he was sworn to protect and serve.

He had a lot of other options that he could have exercised prior to shooting, he could have stayed in the damn car and used the PA system to order the rider to turn off the bike dismount and lay down if he had reasonable suspicion that he was armed. Instead of chose to step out of the car immediately draw and aim his weapon and upon the first hint of a provocation pull the trigger and change somebody's life forever.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #70
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
This is just awful and cops what wonder why they get little respect as these kinds of display of excessive force, are becoming more frequent.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #71
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
I'm going to disagree with you here, Officer. This need to be examined immediately. Whatever allowed this to happen needs to be corrected immediately. The is nothing to gain by waiting, except a repeat performance. Which means anyone of us could be next. Don't confuse "we don't understand" with "we ain't putting up with". I don't need to be a cop to determine that shooting us in the back is an acceptable method of curtailing rapid acceleration violations. I don't doubt that it is a good deterrent, I just don't find it acceptable.

And don't take it too seriously if you encounter a bit of "defiance towards authority figures" on a motorcycle website. A thinking person might say it "goes with the territory". Be a cop at work. Be a motorcyclist here. Just a suggestion.

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #72
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
I ran once and then was caught about 15 miles away by another county cop.....pretty much a low-point in my riding career. However, he was kind enough not to shoot me in the back. They also called a flatbed when I voiced my displeasure of them hanging my Triumph from the back of a regular "wrecker". They were pretty nice considering the circumstances.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #73
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
""Just remember, here in the states we are the line between your safety and anarchy! Just sayin.""

Obviously some of the cops are crossing that line! Just sayin.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #74
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd
+1
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #75
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd
OH MY GOD!!!

Is this for real???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_...ct_of_Columbia

If this case is true wantmontana you are definitely NOT "the line between your safety and anarchy" and the question has to be asked what the hell are police for if the courts absolve them of responsibility? Is it any wonder people have no faith or respect for police and in many cases don't bother wasting their time calling them when the need arises.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote