Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #76
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
OH MY GOD!!!

Is this for real???
If it isn't then we'll have to fall back to Gonzolas v. Castle Rock, or any of the other dozen or so cases which essentially say the same thing.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #77
lunchmeat
MLI

Oddometer: 294
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd
That's not what Warren v. District says!
And people question the need for self defense weapons? Although it was DC so if the gals had firearms they would have been breaking the law (at that time) and probably been jailed on top of being raped and beaten half to death.

Totally agree with the posts that say just because the man wears a badge doesnt mean they are well trained or even have common sense and are definitely not immune to the effects of adrenaline.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #78
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
This happened yesterday.http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS02/5240323

I was out of town at a Pa. Airhead rally,but some friends went.Hellof a turnout.
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #79
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
From what that article said it seems the cop is yet to be sentenced.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #80
Cheshire
Anachronistic rideby

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmontana
I think before judging what happened, you should walk in our shoes. I am not going to quarterback what went on here, but until you have done the job I think you should not be so quick to judge. Name another job other than the military where you can be killed just because of the job you do. Look at the 4 officers in Lakewood, WA. Having wrestled with a bad guy whose clear intention was to take my gun and kill me just because I was doing my job, I can say that I have had fear the likes of which most will never know. Had it not been for a good samaritan I would probably have been shot. Did I mention the guy was a biker?? That being said I too bike and can thankfully say I have not had to shoot anyone but it is a very dangerous job. People hide their hands, don't follow orders. And cops make mistakes. It happens. Just remember, here in the states we are the line between your safety and anarchy! Just sayin.
Likewise, try the other side of the coin. Before telling us to step off, try wheeling a year in our chairs. I can just about guarantee you don't know the half of what's involved with paralysis. The lowest possible injury still leaves a person stuck needing catheters, KY, and gloves to relieve themselves for the rest of their life...and that's just a tiny fraction of the daily permanent adjustments that people take for granted. Pretty much starting life from scratch...a good percentage never manage to learn to cope. Just remember, everything has consequences. This guy did NOTHING to deserve having to start living his life struggling just to get to square one again.

Just sayin'.
Yeah, it's a sore point, 'cept for where I can't feel anything.

Just sayin'.
Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #81
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Just remember, here in the states we are the line between your safety and anarchy! Just sayin.
No offense, but you guys are only minutes away when seconds count, and it doesn't seem like a lot of cops are exactly upstanding citizens these days either. I think I'd rather rely on the right to keep and bear arms. Oh wait...I'm from Chicago. They don't observe that pesky "Bill of Rights" thing here.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #82
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,031
Hell, I'll take my chances without a sidearm.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #83
hobbes23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
I think before judging what happened, you should walk in our shoes. I am not going to quarterback what went on here, but until you have done the job I think you should not be so quick to judge. Name another job other than the military where you can be killed just because of the job you do. ... .
Taxi driver.

Homicide while at work: persons, industries, and occupations at high risk.
J F Kraus
Am J Public Health. 1987 October; 77(10): 1285–1289.

The purpose of this study is to identify and describe, epidemiologically, work-related homicides in California from 1979 through 1981. Using the California State Computer Mortality File, an algorithm was developed and a search of the death certificates was made using three factors: "injury at work," injury at a work location, and pertinent external-cause-of-death codes. Only 30 per cent of the 466 homicide deaths identified were also found in the logs of the state Occupational Safety and Health agency. The average annual rate of work-related homicides was 1.5 per 100,000 workers. The male-to-female-rate ratio was 4.2:1. Police and security guards and persons in occupations having frequent public contact involving exchange of money, particularly in late afternoon or evening hours, were at highest risk. Controlling exposures of high-risk individuals and developing strict standards for reducing such exposures might greatly reduce assaults and thus prevent senseless loss of life in the workplace.

http://ajph.aphapublications.org.lib...act/77/10/1285
Old 05-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #84
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
I think before judging what happened, you should walk in our shoes. I am not going to quarterback what went on here, but until you have done the job I think you should not be so quick to judge. Name another job other than the military where you can be killed just because of the job you do. ... .

The prospect of facing the judgment of others is what accountability is all about. If we were not able to judge without walking the mile, only cops could judge cops. With all due respect, that's a scary thought to me.

And +1 for night shift taxi driver as a high risk profession. Most times it's just you and your tire iron with other cabbies a distant second. The police are for post mortems and probing questions about the tire iron.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #85
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Occupational death rates for Police Officers are not even in the top ten. Most Police Officers killed in the line of duty are killed, not by a firearm, but by a vehicle, either their own crashing into something during a chase, or by another running into them, while they are on the side of the road during a traffic stop. Everytime you are on the side of the highway writing a ticket your odds go up, and all those flashing lights, just seem to attract drunks, target fixation, I believe they call it.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #86
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,375
That Cop was a frightened baby...and he only shot the guy cause he had the audacity to show a little horsepower on their takeoff...only reason..

fucking hang him...11 years aint enough and it won't do anything to give that guy his legs back..

Didn't you see his right hand in the video..resting on his right leg like we all would do if stopped and idle..if his hand went the opposite direction of his body it might be a different story..but to hear that lawyer saying "he turned his arm when he turned to the right..right??" is a joke...how else does a human body work..when you turn your upper torso..your shoulders and arms go with it..

Makes me sick..shouldn't there be a test to eliminate these pussies from the police force?? Didn't anyone give them an education on outlaw biker's?? How often does a poser, Harley guy in a T-shirt fire on an officer??? NEVER..it's not like these guys were running colors...

Makes me wanna run from the police...not stop..
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #87
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Jo momma
Jo momma

Jo momma

Jo momma

Jo momma

Jo momma

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #88
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Danger My Butt

Cops (my friends at least) are always whining about how dangerous their job is. This is complete BS alot more convenience store clerks are killed than cops. Getting over their power complexes is the only way to solve this. I can point to dozens of cases where excessive force has been used but the cops were "justified" simply because they were cops. Including the murder of a local preacher.

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #89
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
That Cop was a frightened baby...and he only shot the guy cause he had the audacity to show a little horsepower on their takeoff...only reason..

fucking hang him...11 years aint enough and it won't do anything to give that guy his legs back..

Didn't you see his right hand in the video..resting on his right leg like we all would do if stopped and idle..if his hand went the opposite direction of his body it might be a different story..but to hear that lawyer saying "he turned his arm when he turned to the right..right??" is a joke...how else does a human body work..when you turn your upper torso..your shoulders and arms go with it..

Makes me sick..shouldn't there be a test to eliminate these pussies from the police force?? Didn't anyone give them an education on outlaw biker's?? How often does a poser, Harley guy in a T-shirt fire on an officer??? NEVER..it's not like these guys were running colors...

Makes me wanna run from the police...not stop..
Hanging is too good for him.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #90
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun
Cops (my friends at least) are always whining about how dangerous their job is. This is complete BS alot more convenience store clerks are killed than cops. Getting over their power complexes is the only way to solve this. I can point to dozens of cases where excessive force has been used but the cops were "justified" simply because they were cops. Including the murder of a local preacher.
According to FBI statistics approximately 150 cops are killed each year in the U.S. How many convenience store clerks are?

I hate it when people make statements with no basis. And a jury of one's peers SHOULD mean that a cop would be judged by cops. Unless you have worn a gun to work and sworn an oath to protect you have no basis of knowledge to judge someone who has.
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote