Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #121
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615
just ran across this. sickening. He was a PART time police officer? wtf is that...
link
That police officer has now been given a second chance thanks to a gang of costumed bureaucrats

The criminal conviction of a former Ottawa Hills police officer seen on video shooting a motorcyclist in the back has been reversed and a new trial ordered, the Ohio 6th District Court of Appeals ruled Friday.

Thomas White, 30, was found guilty in Lucas County Common Pleas Court on May 14, 2010, of felonious assault with a gun specification for the May, 2009, shooting of Michael McCloskey. The bullet severed Mr. McCloskey’s spine, paralyzing him from the waist down.

White, a part-time police officer at the time, was sentenced in June, 2010, to 10 years in prison but has remained free on $100,000 bond pending his appeal. He has since moved from Toledo and could not be reached for comment Friday.

Mr. McCloskey also could not be reached for comment. His mother, Darlene Thorn, said that the family wanted to digest the information first.

“I just feel like I hit a brick wall,” she said. “How can this be?”

In the 2-1 opinion, the appellate court reversed White’s conviction and remanded it back to common pleas court for a new trial. The panel ruled that the jury was not given proper instructions of law and so did not have proper information before deliberations.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #122
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,537
I guess it's time to break the cops back.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #123
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,477
He'll probably come down here and become a chief somewhere

HOLLY SHIT!!

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.

STUFF2C screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 06:59 PM
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #124
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Im not defending the guy or anything, but appeals like that happen all the time guys convicted of murder, robbery, rapes, and all sorts of serious crimes.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #125
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,959
Did anybody really expect anything less. Hell, it wouldn't suprise me if they end up charging the victim with something.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #126
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Isn't this super old? Or am I thinking of a different episode...
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #127
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,620
Old story and conviction. New appeal.

--Bill
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #128
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I am a LEO, and I remember seeing that video very shortly after it went public.

And, I remember saying "he phucked up". There was no justification that I could see for that (part time volunteer) Officer to fire his weapon.

A standard that must be met when determining whether or not certain actions are justified is "would a reasonable person have reacted in a similar manner?". Well, a group of probably 20 of us watched the video..and OUR answer to that question was a resounding "NO".

Millions of dollars cannot replace what that man had wrongly taken away from him.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #129
bluegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I haven't seen anybody ask this question yet.

Why was the gun drawn in the first place? The only thing the motorcyclist did wrong was perhaps speed. That warrants a gun being drawn? Is this routine in the US ? I have never in my life seen a cop draw their gun. Honest question. Is this normal south of the border?
bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #130
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
I haven't seen anybody ask this question yet.

Why was the gun drawn in the first place? The only thing the motorcyclist did wrong was perhaps speed. That warrants a gun being drawn? Is this routine in the US ? I have never in my life seen a cop draw their gun. Honest question. Is this normal south of the border?
Its not that uncommon for an officer to draw his weapon on a traffic stop. There is no such thing as a "routine" traffic stop, it is always an unknown danger. I will pull mine sometimes as I exit my police car and approach a vehicle. However I dont point it at somebody unless they pose some sort of threat. I generally hold it down behind my leg and the citizen rarely ever realizes my weapon left the holster.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #131
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
I am a LEO, and I remember seeing that video very shortly after it went public.
Thank you for speaking the truth, regardless of of your LEO status. yes he did screw up. The guys on the bikes should have stopped, I am not buying the story that his glasses prevented him from seeing the lights, but once stopped, thats it. The worst they did was speed. The leo got out of the vehicle with his gun drawn since they said it was 3 seconds till he fired.

You said he was a volunteer, meaning not paid? I am shocked.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #132
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

What happened to ... stand behind your door and order him off the bike and onto the ground.

I hope the 2nd jury has a half a brain.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #133
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
What happened to ... stand behind your door and order him off the bike and onto the ground.

I hope the 2nd jury has a half a brain.
the first one found him guilt and he was sentenced to 10 or 11 years....but somehow he is getting a new trial.

while this is inexcusable, I don't consider the P/T LEO the same as a criminal who has the mindset to shoot anyone who gets in the way of their crimes. I do consider him to be total unfit and unprepared to carry a weapon. But I dont know what the punishment should be.

What has happend to that guy and the manner that it happened will affect him for ever. Everyday he wakes up paralyzed he will think, holy shit, I was shot by a cop.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #134
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Exactly my point... hope the second jury gets it right too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
the first one found him guilt and he was sentenced to 10 or 11 years....but somehow he is getting a new trial.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #135
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

while this is inexcusable, I don't consider the P/T LEO the same as a criminal who has the mindset to shoot anyone who gets in the way of their crimes. I do consider him to be total unfit and unprepared to carry a weapon. But I dont know what the punishment should be.

What has happend to that guy and the manner that it happened will affect him for ever. Everyday he wakes up paralyzed he will think, holy shit, I was shot in the back while un-armed by a cop.
Thar, I dun fixed it fer ya.
Whether it was accidental or not, he ruined the guys life, and should spend the rest of his life behind bars be'in Bubba's bitch.
The pig failed on so many different levels.